Number of A3s sold

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I read an item on the internet a few days ago that said that Audi had sold a record number of cars in the UK last year - 86,003 to be exact. I wondered how many of these were A3s, so I emailed Audi CS and their reply gives the following breakdown:

Audi A3 29,744
Audi TT 4,215
Audi A4 28,430
Audi Cab 7,199
Allroad 725
Q7 2,973
Audi A8 1,328

I must admit I was surprised to see that more A3s were sold than A4s.

A3_TOBES said:
Common as muck, the new Focus ;)

...or it would be, if the chavs had enough change from Burberry shopping left to afford one :p

A3_TOBES said:
Common as muck, the new Focus ;)

They are up here,I tell you.
I don't like the 'type' of car they appear to be up here either.
They seem to be firmly in the 'second car/wife's runabout' camp.
Sorry,but I don't like my car being the sort of car people buy as a second motor,silly as it may seem.
IMO it devalues it,making it feel like a 'poor relation' or,worse,a woman's car !

not as many as you would think here in northern ireland which i like lol especially at my age which is good :D

A breakdown by area would be really interesting.
I believe Aberdeen still has the highest percentage of new car registrations per head of population in the UK and Audi seems to have a fair old proportion of that.
A3's and A4 avants are the two most commonly seen Audis.
Fair few TT's.
Hardly ever see an A6 or an A8.
Saw either an A6 or an A8 with weird LED 'strip' lights along the front bumper the other day.
The guy was using them in daylight.
Unless they come on automatically,I can only conclude he thought he looked cool.
He didn't.

It would have been an S6 - they're daytime running lights and yes they come on automatically.

TBH not really that common down on the South Coast (Sussex). If they are then i'm missing them. Agree that the cost of the car keeps them out of Chav ownership but they can still become a common sight if the area you live in have a high budget for there car spends.

A breakdown of area would be good and it would be nice to have a comparison with similar makes/model over the same time. ie. BMW 3's etc. Might give you an idea of when to sell if the market has just been flooded with TDI 170's over the last year.

h5djr said:
I read an item on the internet a few days ago that said that Audi had sold a record number of cars in the UK last year - 86,003 to be exact. I wondered how many of these were A3s, so I emailed Audi CS and their reply gives the following breakdown:

Audi A3 29,744
And apparently, they sold more A3s than BMW sold 1-Series and Merc sold C-Class coupes, put together !

just realising - there is only 1 main audi dealer in northern ireland

any others sold are from other car dealers

Sounds like Audi will be devalueing the badge (same as BMW did a few years ago with the 3 series) with the high numbers of Audi's hitting the market.

Suppose its either lower volume @higher price or higher volume @lower price but Audi want it both ways and are doing so. Or are they ?, is the quality of there cars suffering because of this ?

Or are they ?, is the quality of there cars suffering because of this ?

Certianly not in my opinion, but I'll let you know in March when I take delivery of my 5th A3.

To put in perspective, the total industry volume of new car registrations was 2,344,864 and the A3 accounts for about 1.25%.

Out of interest I have just emailed BMW asking for the same information as that provided by Audi CS. ie Total cars sales for 2006 broken down by series.