Group Buy Xenon Kit

I assume that you are aware that fitting these kits to your car is illegal. It's not illegal to sell them, but it is to fit them to a car.

The following is a statement from the Department of Transport:

"It is not acceptable to convert a headlight approved for use with a halogen filament bulb to use a Xenon (HID) gas discharge bulb. The only acceptable way of converting is to replace the headlight for one approved for gas discharge bulbs. Such headlamps will be approved to UNECE Regulation 98 and 'E' marked. If headlamps approved to UNECE Regulation 98 are retro-fitted, they must be self-levelling (as part of the headlamp system) or via self-levelling suspension and headlamp washers must be installed. Under the Road Traffic Act 1988, it is an offence to fit or use parts which are not legal"

They may well be, but not for use in a headlamp designed and 'E' marked for use with a halogen bulb. All components have to comply with the required regulations not just the bulbs.

How are you going to provide the self-levelling and headlamp washing that are also required before they are legal for use in the UK?

If you want Xenon headlights do the job properly and change the whole headlight unit otherwise stick to 50% or 80% extra type halogen bulbs. I've used these are all 5 of my A3s and they do make a difference.

You will see from this thread (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=30478) that some people have been disappointed with the Xenon after-market kits. Don't waste your money.

H5DJR, I'm sure I saw your car near Wyboston yesterday lunchtime! (I work near there..)

Anyway, I have to agree that fitting these kits is a bad idea unless you have projector headlamps.

The legality thing is something only you can decide if you can live with, but it's critical that you don't end up with something that will dazzle others or attract the attention of the boys in blue.

I've fitted these kits in the past to a BMW which had halogen reflectors, and it was a disaster in terms of scattering light all over the place.

Fitting them to a A3 (8L) model was more successful, but that had projector lamps, and gave a nice clean beam cut off that didn't dazzle other drivers. That also sailed through 2 mots with them fitted, and although it had washers but no self levelling, it was still technically illegal.

As a minimum, I would only recommend them on the A3 (8P) if you're going to fit projector lamps as well.

Hi Tooks

Yesterday lunchtime my car was parked in the B+Q car-park at the edge of Eaton Socon. I work their 2 days a week. I left at 15:00 and drove over the Wyboston traffic lights and fly-over and onto the A1 North to give a mate a lift to Little Paxton. I actual live in Eaton Socon.

Ah, that makes sense, I was on a late lunch yesterday so that would be about 3ish, and I was driving to Tescos!

I saw you at the roundabout near the Wyboston Lakes entrance, which is where I work.

My cars a silver 8L model A3, so don't be surprised if I give you a flash next time!

I'll look out for you. If you get a spare few minutes one lunchtime on either a Tuesday or a Friday, pop in to B+Q and ask for me at the Service Desk. It's always nice to actually meet fellow forum members.

From 1st March you will need to look out for a Silver Sportback rather than a 3-door - same plate of course.