Spare oil in the boot. Where?

southpaw66

Reaction score
I often see mentioned the inclusion of spare engine oil in the boot of new cars. I've not noticed anything in my car.

Am I blind or am I missing something?

Its normally in a black plastic zipped bag attached to the side trim of the boot using velcro. That's assuming that Audi still include with new models.

In my 05 sportback,it just skidded around the boot in a clear placcy bag.
That was until others on here pointed out it should have come in a leatherette Audi pouch that velcros to the side of the boot and I asked the dealer for one.
Apparently,it's (allegedly) common practice for dealers to keep the pouches and either give them to their kids as football boots' holders,or plonk them on ebay and make a few bob.

ANd make sure if you open it you don't leave it in the car, cos the top will come off and go everywhere! Trust me!

Mine's clearly 'fell off' at the dealers then.

wilko said:
ANd make sure if you open it you don't leave it in the car, cos the top will come off and go everywhere! Trust me!

I used to race motorbikes,which got towed behind the car.
Part of the regs is that you have to carry a fair size dry powder fire extinguisher.
Christ knows how,but it managed to go off in the boot of my car once.
Man,you've never seen such a mess !

Its definately still included, as it was in mine when I picked it up two weeks ago. Its a drak grey pouch with "Audi" in black on the front, "Supplied by Castrol" on the back, and inside is a bottle of Castrol SLX Longlife III 5w30 oil, and in a pocket is a pair of latex gloves, a hand wipe, a cardboard funnel and a tissue. This was stuck to the left hand side of the boot using velcro. Personally I was very impressed by it, not something I was expecting at all. I guess its a marketing ploy by Castrol in reality, as many will automatically go and by more of that particular oil to top up their engine as required, rather than going hunting for a different brand that is suitable.

bowfer said:
I used to race motorbikes,which got towed behind the car.
Part of the regs is that you have to carry a fair size dry powder fire extinguisher.
Christ knows how,but it managed to go off in the boot of my car once.
Man,you've never seen such a mess !

Along the same lines, a lass I used to work with had an MX5 and decided to go to Homebase one sunny summer evening. She came out, put the paint in the boot, dropped the roof and turned up the CD player. She doesn't like to hang about so with the tunes belting out she raced home. On opening the boot she found the new tin of gloss had opened and spread itself all over her boot. Cant remember what she did to shift it all.??

The car was since written off in an accident and she bought a TT so I guess its a case of clouds n silver linings.

Yep my 170 came with it, pouch and all. I'd definitely shout at the dealer and ask where it is.

Out of interest, what specification oil does the Owner's Handbook say is needed for the new S3?

i never got one

looks like either the previous owner or the dealer has made a few quid on ebay!

Never got any in mine either,it was new in november.A bit late to moan about it now though.

I've got 2 of these pouches in my boot, got the 2nd off ebay for a few £, 1 for the oil & the new 1 for my car quick detail + micro fiber to clean the car of bird droppings.
All ways do this now as a friend left a large seagull splatt on the roof, unwashed for several weeks on a silver Audi, now they need to respray the roof nothing will remove the etching, so the dealer says.

I got one in my S-Line last November and some leather cleaning stuff.

southpaw66 said:
I often see mentioned the inclusion of spare engine oil in the boot of new cars. I've not noticed anything in my car.

Am I blind or am I missing something?

Got a small bottle of oil with my 1.6 A3 that just rolled around in the boot for six months, no pouch.

Same again the following year with a A3 2.0 TDI, no pouch.

Last December I got my GTI, oil in a bag with gloves etc held in a small cubby hole in the boot, result!

(But the Golf surprisingly didnt come with a hazard triangle, I was soooo gonna rob the one out of the TDI but thought the dealer would notice and try and screw me for 20 quid)

I asked at the dealers and they seemed only partially surprised that I didn't (some do/some don't) but at the same time didn't take the hint...
I've seen them on about half the cars in the showroom and they're a bit bigger than I imagined so I can see how I wouldn't miss it.