Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 42
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160

    Question 503.00 oil or 503.01 for A3 3.2 V6?

    Quick question for anyone with their manual to hand. Does it say that Audi recommends 503.00 oil or 503.01 for an A3 3.2 V6 ?

    cheers for anyone who can look or tell me as i'm away w/o mine to hand.

    ps. I know the new standard is now covered by 504.00 but wondered what the manual says.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    No one have a quick look for me ?

    No probs if not i'll have a look at mine later in the week if not.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  4. #3
    Accoding to my May 04 manual its 503.00 for Longlife service and 502.00 for fixed interval service.

    According to a November 06 manual I have on lone at the moment it's 503.00 or 504.00 for Longlife and 502.00, 503.01,504.00 or 505.01 for fixed interval service.

    The capacity is given in both manuals is approx 5.5 litres.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    Accoding to my May 04 manual its 503.00 for Longlife service and 502.00 for fixed interval service.

    According to a November 06 manual I have on lone at the moment it's 503.00 or 504.00 for Longlife and 502.00, 503.01,504.00 or 505.01 for fixed interval service.

    The capacity is given in both manuals is approx 5.5 litres.
    OK thanks, i've recently had my car serviced (Audi main dealer) and according to the top bottle they put in the boot they have used SLX Longtec (503.01) for my AVS service.

    This sounds wrong from what you have mentioned above.
    Last edited by A3_TOBES; 15th January 2007 at 10:12.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  6. #5
    These are the descriptions of the 503.00 and 503.01 specs from document I have about the VW oil specs.

    VW 503.00
    This is a relatively new oil specification for petrol engines with variable service intervals. It includes the AUDI S4, but not the RS4, or the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp.
    Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30

    VW 503.01
    A new oil specification specifically for the RS4, and the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp, Passat W8 and Phaeton W12.
    Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30
    Dave R (h5djr)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    These are the descriptions of the 503.00 and 503.01 specs from document I have about the VW oil specs.

    VW 503.00
    This is a relatively new oil specification for petrol engines with variable service intervals. It includes the AUDI S4, but not the RS4, or the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp.
    Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30

    VW 503.01
    A new oil specification specifically for the RS4, and the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp, Passat W8 and Phaeton W12.
    Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30

    OK thanks Dave, just phoned the dealer and they say they have no real way of telling what actual oil was added to the car unless its written on the back of the job card? They will be calling me back.

    Not impressed at all.
    Last edited by A3_TOBES; 15th January 2007 at 19:45.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  8. #7
    I personally would not be too concerned if they have put 503.01 in the car rather than 503.00 as the 01 is rate for even higher performance engines. Now the other way round would concern me.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  9. #8
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    I personally would not be too concerned if they have put 503.01 in the car rather than 503.00 as the 01 is rate for even higher performance engines. Now the other way round would concern me.

    Agree but its the recomandation (2006 manual) of 503.00 for AVS and 503.01 for fixed that concerns me ?
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  10. #9
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    An der sud Koste
    Posts
    711
    A3_TOBES -

    1) I had some queries re Longlife oil so got in touch direct with Castrol.

    Go to: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=6031664

    for articles about all the oils etc, there is a new one out called EDGE which Dave R has mentioned before.

    Use the 'contact us' to mail them a query - they responded to me in under 3 hours - very knowledgeable too, great response. They responded via email address AutoTechEnquiries@bp.com, though probably best if you send them a question via the 'contact us' link in case this email address has changed as it was a year ago now.

    They will tell you definitively what you can and can't use for your specific model car.

    2) You also have a private mail waiting for you (sorry!).
    Last edited by cdb2; 15th January 2007 at 11:43.
    Sportback

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by cdb2
    A3_TOBES -

    1) I had some queries re Longlife oil so got in touch direct with Castrol.

    Go to: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=6031664

    for articles about all the oils etc, there is a new one out called EDGE which Dave R has mentioned before.

    Use the 'contact us' to mail them a query - they responded to me in under 3 hours - very knowledgeable too, great response. They responded via email address AutoTechEnquiries@bp.com, though probably best if you send them a question via the 'contact us' link in case this email address has changed as it was a year ago now.

    They will tell you definitively what you can and can't use for your specific model car.

    2) You also have a private mail waiting for you (sorry!).

    Cheers, I'm familiar with the 504.00 Edge as bought some a a top up if needed last year. I've now been called back and the main dealers tech has told the service chap that 503.01 was put in the car (same as the top up) and this is the corrrect oil for my 3.2. He also mentioned as long as its SLX its ok. Will have a look at the Castrol website to confirm this once and for sure.

    Interested hearing from other 3.2 owners as to what has been put in urs by the main dealer ?
    Last edited by A3_TOBES; 15th January 2007 at 12:05.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  12. #11
    KR
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    14
    I'll check when I go to my car tonight, Audi put a litre in the boot for me about a week ago

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by KR
    I'll check when I go to my car tonight, Audi put a litre in the boot for me about a week ago

    Many thanks.

    I've also just had this email back from Castol.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Toby

    You need the EDGE 5W-30 for the LongLife servicing schedule - the Longtec will not meet the specification

    Kind regards

    Andy Griffin
    Castrol Technical Support
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------


    So I now have a car full of oil that the manufacterers (Castrol) say is not up to the job and the main dealer is saying it is. Plus I've been excused of 260 notes for the privelige. Gonna be a surprise to the MD if they have been filling cars with the wrong stuff for some time ?

    Is this a case for Audi Customer services because the info is contridicting and don't know who to believe or would it be better speaking to the MD again ?

    TBH the whole thing is begining to do my head in and wish i'd gone the BMW route now...

    Still interested in what other 3.2 owners have inside their cars pre 1st service.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  14. #13
    TBH the whole thing is begining to do my head in and wish i'd gone the BMW route now...
    I think you will find that BMW have all sports of different specifications for oil for various models as well. One of the things that goes with modern high performance engine design. The car makers and the oil producers work closely together to provide the right products for the engines.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by KR
    I'll check when I go to my car tonight, Audi put a litre in the boot for me about a week ago

    Did you manage to check m8 ?
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  16. #15
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    An der sud Koste
    Posts
    711
    Email Audi customer services first with your findings and then get them to confirm the position. If they agree with what Castrol say you have double the proof to go to the Dealer Principal with.

    Seem to remember the Audi brochures say something like each time you deal with someone from the brand you will get a consistent approach and it will be stress free! Mmmmm!
    Last edited by cdb2; 21st January 2007 at 23:09.
    Sportback

  17. #16
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    OK cheers, will definately be doing this tomorrow. I have already emailed the dealer (service manager) on Thursday. Still no reply , not even a reply saying they are looking into it.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  18. #17
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    456
    Dealer has told me to use Castrol SLX longlifeIII. Its a 5W-30, VW 504 00/507 00.
    05 A3 3.2q sport.
    He says 504 00 is an update on 503 00 and 503 001 is not longlife.
    hope this is of some help.

  19. #18
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by IN-A3
    Dealer has told me to use Castrol SLX longlifeIII. Its a 5W-30, VW 504 00/507 00.
    05 A3 3.2q sport.
    He says 504 00 is an update on 503 00 and 503 001 is not longlife.
    hope this is of some help.
    Thats even more confusing as the manual says 503.00 and 503.01 are ok to use for LongLife.

    Cheers for the info, can you say which dealer ? incase I need referral.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  20. #19
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    456
    Sorry for any miss understanding!
    503 00 is Longlife
    503 01 is longlife
    503 01 is used for higher output engines and changed yearly

  21. #20
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by IN-A3
    Sorry for any miss understanding!
    503 00 is Longlife
    503 01 is longlife
    503 01 is used for higher output engines and changed yearly

    OK thanks for the reply. Sorry but still not completely sure with what you are saying because the 8L S3 is a higher output engine and has (or had) 503.01 specified by Audi for Longlife servicing though IIRC ?
    Last edited by A3_TOBES; 23rd January 2007 at 23:03.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  22. #21
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    456
    I would not know for 8L S3,
    503 00 and 503 01 is ok for A3 (8P) 3.2q as far as i know at this time.
    Did you find out the brand and name of the oil used?

  23. #22
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by IN-A3
    I would not know for 8L S3,
    503 00 and 503 01 is ok for A3 (8P) 3.2q as far as i know at this time.
    Did you find out the brand and name of the oil used?
    So 503.01 is ok to be used in an A3 3.2 ? and if so its also ok for Longlife servicing or is it only fixed servicing (changed yearly) ?

    The actual oil that has been used is Castrol SLX Longtec 503.01
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  24. #23
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    456
    Yes 503.01 is Ok in A3 3.2 for longlife service.
    Have you had your car long?
    Ive just got mine!

  25. #24
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Just over a year now, many thanks for the time taken to reply to the thread.

    N-joy ur new purchase, u'll be glad of the Quattro in todays Snow (if uve have a dusting that is?).
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  26. #25
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    An der sud Koste
    Posts
    711
    If I were you I'd email Audi Customers Services to get them to give you their view - they should then go back to their technical people for a definitive answer.

    Longlife servicing is meant to cut the number of times you visit the dealer and your expenses - if the oil has to be changed after 1 year it is not fulfilling either of these so can't really be described as Longlife imho.
    Sportback

  27. #26
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by cdb2
    If I were you I'd email Audi Customers Services to get them to give you their view - they should then go back to their technical people for a definitive answer.
    I have already email Audi CS for a definitive answer and am waiting for a reply. I've also re-emailed the Main Dealer for clafification in writting as this information is very confusing.

    Quote Originally Posted by cdb2
    Longlife servicing is meant to cut the number of times you visit the dealer and your expenses - if the oil has to be changed after 1 year it is not fulfilling either of these so can't really be described as Longlife imho.
    Agree and need clarification on this as Castrol indicate its not a LongLife oil but Audi indicate its to be used for LongLife servicing as they have for some time for the 8L S3. Maybe Castrol need updating as have read on an S3 forum that they have stated this to an S3 owner but then other forum members confirmed its to be used.

    I suppose the endless emails to people and phone calls are part of the joys of owning an Audi?
    Last edited by A3_TOBES; 24th January 2007 at 11:59.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  28. #27
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    An der sud Koste
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by A3_TOBES
    I suppose the endless emails to people and phone calls are part of the joys of owning an Audi?
    Indeed, all part of the "consistent approach and stress free experience you will have when dealng with any representative of the brand" as championed in the brochures!

    If only..........

    Keep us informed mate as the outcome of this will be interesting.
    Sportback

  29. #28
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Right i've now got an answer from the service manager at Brighton Audi (Caffyns). I sent the email on 18/1 and had to chase yesterday. Got told that their IT dept had lost the original so I had to send it again.

    I got a letter today saying the oil needs to be changed to LongLife 2.

    When I phoned up as asked I was nicely slotted in in for 2 weeks time behind everyone else because I needed a courtesy car. The service person on the phone asked the service manager if I could have an emergency car (because I explained I would like this sorted asap) but I got told I could'nt and the oil in there was not causing any detremental effects and he had already told me this in the email. Fair enought but nothing like trying to resolve a problem they have created.

    Therefore I will take the car back to them for the agreed time to get the oil changed. I've got to re-arrange another of my work days to get there and back. I also wonder why they still use LongLife 2 when Edge is out??

    I have a few question tho if anyone can answer?

    Will my AVS calculations be wrong being calculated with non-longlife oil in there and have come down quicker than should be since my service?

    Will they need to reset the AVS with the oil change?

    I gather they will need to swap the oil-filter too?

    Will a flush be advisable?


    ps. IN-A3 your info was incorrect so it may be worth telling your source of info too to save having to do what I am?
    Last edited by A3_TOBES; 28th January 2007 at 15:41.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  30. #29
    I think you will find that the next AVS service is determined by the condition of the oil. So one assumes that they should reset the AVS service requirement when they change the oil. Yes they should change the oil filter as well but there should be no need to flush the system and they are both similar oils.

    The only problem with using a non-dealer for service work on a new car is that at least the dealers are informed of problems and solutions direct from Audi. Non-dealers are not.

    Just accept it as a genuine mistake by the Technician who serviced your car. I'm sure that you cannot say you've never made a mistake at work. At least there are sorting out their error.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  31. #30
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    I think you will find that the next AVS service is determined by the condition of the oil. So one assumes that they should reset the AVS service requirement when they change the oil. Yes they should change the oil filter as well but there should be no need to flush the system and they are both similar oils.

    The only problem with using a non-dealer for service work on a new car is that at least the dealers are informed of problems and solutions direct from Audi. Non-dealers are not.

    Just accept it as a genuine mistake by the Technician who serviced your car. I'm sure that you cannot say you've never made a mistake at work. At least there are sorting out their error.

    Issue I have with resetting the AVS will then cause the start of another 2 year interval and will be in total 2years +3months so will look well out of place with the stamps in the service book.

    And yes I have made mistakes but not with something I do day in day out and also then say that the mistake is right when an error is indicated forcing the cusomer to have to proove their error. Also why dont they check there work, if i had'nt checked and in 2 years just out of warranty i encounter failure guess who picks up the tab!

    In my few years of motoring I have never had a Maindealer put the wrong oil in a car or bike.
    Last edited by A3_TOBES; 28th January 2007 at 15:38.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  32. #31
    In my few years of motoring I have never had a Maindealer put the wrong oil in a car or bike.
    At least not that you know about. Once upon a time oil was just oil - not anymore.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  33. #32
    southpaw66's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    167
    I've heard about a Peugeot dealer putting completely wrong oil in a 206CC. Engine seized. Independent tests proved it was the wrong oil. Dealer claims owner must have made the change...
    A3 Sportback 170TDI quattro S-line
    Lava Grey, SymphonyII, BOSE, Light and Rain Sensor Pack, I-POD connection , MF Steering Wheel, Rear Parking Sensors.

  34. #33
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    At least not that you know about. Once upon a time oil was just oil - not anymore.
    Ok, true.

    Seriously though will resetting the AVS be required? Is this normal practice if oil is changed for any reason before the AVS says the service is rquired. ie. Oil contamination. Like is say if its reset then the service gap from AV1 to AV2 could technincally be longer than 2yrs or 20k, I know the oil would not be older than 2yrs or 20k but the inspections of serviceable items AVS covers would. I suppose the main dealer will have a procedure to follow as I presume like mentioned above uncheduled oil changes may be required from time to time when the car is on AVS.
    Last edited by A3_TOBES; 28th January 2007 at 15:39.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  35. #34
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    456
    A3 TOBES thanks for the update. Will check again with source.
    So why does hand book and service book list 503.01 for AVS in the A3 3.2.

    May be ask them to use Castrol SLX III,which is to new standard 504.00

  36. #35
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by IN-A3
    A3 TOBES thanks for the update. Will check again with source.
    So why does hand book and service book list 503.01 for AVS in the A3 3.2.

    May be ask them to use Castrol SLX III,which is to new standard 504.00
    I have asked Audi Customer Services also for confirmation as don't want to have the oil changed to find it didnt need doing.

    IN-A3 which dealer out of interest said 503.01 was ok for the 3.2 to you if you don't mind me asking.

    Also just as a matter of interest what are the rest of the 3.2 owners on here using ?

    Please reply here is you are a 3.2 owner and know.

    3.2 owners what oil are you using ?
    Last edited by A3_TOBES; 25th January 2007 at 21:57.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  37. #36
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chelmsford, Essex
    Posts
    456
    A3 TOBES
    503.01 got from handbook.

    chelmsford Audi said to upgrade to 504.00

    Will check with my dad to see what his handbook says for his A4 3.2!

    Funny how when asking same question to two or more"experts" and get more than one answer. is it because they guess or do they work on Urban hearsay.

  38. #37
    KR
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    14
    Just had oil change in my A3 3.2.

    On longlife service.

    Oil used was Castrol vw504.00 / vw 507.00

    Also a Litre of oil in the boot aswell with same markings

    Kris

  39. #38
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160
    Cheers guys, 504.00 seems to be dealers choice, IIRC ths is the replacement for 503.00, 503.01 and others? Brighton Audi are still only going to swap the oil for LongLife 2 which if i remember is now not even available to buy privately ?...so now they are swapping the wrong oil with right but old spec oil, think its time Customer Services got note of their shoddy practices.

    Will also be mentioning the totaly lack of service experienced to the Dealer pinciple, not sure if will get me anywhere tho?
    Last edited by A3_TOBES; 26th January 2007 at 21:05.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  40. #39
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    160

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr
    I think you will find that the next AVS service is determined by the condition of the oil. So one assumes that they should reset the AVS service requirement when they change the oil.
    Thanks to all who have replied to ths thread and given me advice

    I have now had the oil replaced by the main dealer and they have confirmed no damage would have been done due to the oil being within its 12 month life (only managed todo 1500 miles in the 4 months) . SLX 2 is what I now have in the car. I've noticed they have not reset the AVS service as its still saying what it was before they did the job? Will I need to check this is right with them or should it have been reset and they have forgot?

    cheers
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

  41. #40
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by IN-A3
    A3 TOBES

    chelmsford Audi said to upgrade to 504.00

    .
    How do you rate their service department please? I bought my A3 from them but am about half way between them and Audi Ipswich and I suspect the tractor boys prices might be lower so any advice much thanx
    rowansbank
    2005 A3 Sport 3.2 Quattro DSG S-line Lava Grey

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO