Can't believe it, but I've ordered one...new S3

AL_B

Reaction score
Guys,

Never thought I would be writing this, but on Saturday I ordered my new S3!!

Yep, I know, I said I didn't like the styling, but its gradually grown on me. And to be honest when I saw the BB tuned car (on fourtitude) on the big alloys, I just thought that looks awesome.

Plus, when I test drove it, I was suprised at how good the car was, the engine and turbo noise - it was fun.

As some of you may know, I was also considering an '04 986 Boxster S and '04-'05 S4, both for around 30K.

The S4 was ruled out due to its capacity to guzzle fuel. The way I drive I'd be filling it up twice a week, which I couldn't afford to do.

The Boxster S. Well, I had a couple of test drives, and it just wasn't me. The car felt cramped and very closed-in with the roof up. Also visibilty with the roof up was appalling, i.e. looking over your right shoulder during lane changes, mirrors didn't give a good view either IMO. And it was this lack of visibility which put me right off. The engine sound is amazing, but its "yesterdays" engine, 260bhp. Which isn't going to be as usable in the wet as a quattro S3.

So that was the reasoning. The new S3 provides 260PS, but with the potential of 300bhp, and all weather usage. Like the old S3, the new S3 ticks all the boxes for a great all rounder. Nice interior, performance, decent handling, practical. Still don't think it will be as special as the 8L S3, but it might do in time.

So here's what I've ordered...

Phantom Black
Bucket seats
Flat bottomed steering wheel
Brushed aluminium inlays
Symphony III (anyone got any pics of this?)
BOSE
Cruise control
Elec folding Mirrors
Acoustic Parking
Front Armrest
Interior light pack
Luggage pack (luggage net and 12v socket)
Reversible boot mat
First aid kit

Looking at April/May delivery.

And this time...it's getting remapped from new. :)

AL

Congrats lovely spec there. I like the boxster but I wouldn't drive one for the same reason. I love the S4 but also have issues with Shell.

I hated the R32 (mkIV) when it first came out and slagged it ff roten after seeing at the motorshow - body kitted boy racer specal I called it. ****** me if I didn't buy one. We are only human afterall and therefore and allowed to change our minds :)

J.

Nice, you wont regret it! The spec list is almost identical with mine, so, nice choice :salute:

About your stereo, I think the correct name for it is Symphony II+.

Good choice,nice spec Iam sure you will be very happy when it arrives.
I also looked at a Porsche before I confirmed my S3 order, it was the Porsche Cayman, great car, great engine & chassis but not for me, certainly not worth 20 grand more than the S3.

S3 due to arrive soon !!

Looks like you have almost the same problem I had with the spec list, just got carried away ticking all those boxes, eh?! :readit: Couldn't help myself either! :scared2:

The S3 grew on me too, after I had the second night time test drive, mostly with the windows down - the sound was fantastic! Now can't wait! Even have a new "S3 xxx" number plate to go on it too!

I had the build confirmed as week 12 on Tuesday last week. Roll on! :arco:

I am thinking of going to Ingolstadt to pick mine up, just waiting for the dealer to find out the details. Would be a great way to run it in...

MarriedBlonde

The R32 (MK IV) is a classic IMO. Great engine, and superb looks. I love our MK IV anniversary, which is black, looks brilliant when its clean.

Like you say, we change our minds over time, like I have done. I'm really looking forward to getting a new car again.

Freddie,

Thanks for that picture. Have you got your S3 now? Did you order the bucket seats?

Steve,

Yeah, there are a lot of options. I'm still wondering whether I should have ordered the rear armrest or throughload system!!

I think you win hands down on your spec!! Bucket seats AND Sat Nav+, plus all the other bits.

Cheers

AL

I'd give serious thought to retrofitting the nav and maybe gsm prep too. If you plan to do this then go for the Concert III rather than the Symphony III to save a little dosh.

Lovely spec, how about orange seats ;)

142__scaled_600.jpg

AL_B said:
Freddie,

Thanks for that picture. Have you got your S3 now? Did you order the bucket seats?

AL

Yes, I have the bucket seats. Going to pick it up this afternoon! Will post some pictures tonight so u all can see the beauty :rock:

Nice one AL! hope all goes well and we'll have to meet up when you get it.. What are you doing with the current car (private or px)? Also which remap will you get? That's going to be a tasty car with circa 300bhp after remapping!

I've gone to the dark side - traded my lovely Ferrari red S3 in for a silver grey M3 CSL a couple of days before Xmas. It is the business although it can be a tad tricky on greasy roads traction-wise.. Just need to get home to drive it!

Would consider an S3 sportback in the future if they are ever made!

All the best.

Well done mate - excellent spec!

Not sure about the orange seats but think the red works well IMO:

sibn5x.jpg

How will it be remapped from new? The stealers wont do it will they? Or will you just get it done ASAP?

Nice spec, almost exactly what I would choose, except I went for a new Cayman in the end and decided to keep the 8L.

After spending £29,000 on the 8L and now being offered £12,000 (immaculate 2003 36k miles) from the dealer, I doubt I'll ever buy another new Audi. Theres no way Ill sell it for that - someone will get too good a deal so I'd rather it gets dusty and unused in the back of the garage. Thats almost korean car depreciation. Not that im bitter about it:crying:

Cheers Simon,

Would love to see the CSL sometime.

I kind of wish I'd opted for a different brand of car, tried something different, as I feel I haven't moved on any. BUT...I just couldn't escape the fact that I couldn't really afford anything much over £30K, you can't beat 4wd for year-round performance, and the new S3 just ticks all the boxes like the 8L did.

Simon, Nervous,

I intend to trade my 8L in. But I may sell it privately nearer to the time my new one arrives. I'd sell it know, and get around 12-13k private sale, but I need a car for work. Buying an old banger will be a waste of money, hire cars are expensive, and public transport...is just a f###in joke in this country.

As for depreciation. Mines what 4.5 years old now, great condition, 46K miles, personal import. When dealers offer you 10K it does hurt, even though I spent 23K as an import, compared with about 26-27K had I bought it here. So for me 10K after 4.5 years aint too bad, and if I sold it for 13K, I'd be laughing.

AL

Yeah that looks quite cool DPM but in reality when you see most new Audi's the seat covers are ill-fitting and wear even worse, they crease and go even baggier. You can see above on the nearest seat lower bolster its a crap fit! There have even been a number of cases where the leather de-laminates from the synthetic baking material which Audi are trying to claim as wear and tear on <10k mileage cars.

The Buckets are much much better but still suffer a little I have been lead to believe. I'd rather have fabric any day!

@AL B,
I know what you mean, as an everyday all year round performance hatch it does tick all the boxes.
Also, 10k worsed case scenario isn't bad for 4.5yr old import and &#163;13k would be great, for me it was more the dealers attitude that 17k depreciation in 3.5 years was acceptable and i should be greatful it wasnt a ford - I think the depreciation is shocking on Audis at the minute or maybe its on every marque?