cliveywolves

Reaction score
Website
www.carinsurance4u.co.uk
Hi All...

Just installed my rns-e unit into my 2007 A3:yahoo:
I cant explain to begin how easy this was it took me about 15 mins in
total from removing the concert III unit and replacing it with the rns-e,
plugging in and getting the beast up and running.......

Audi have made it so easy now for this great mod' as they now use quadlock and fakra connectors on 2007 models...It is just plug and play.

Was going give some pics but so easy i think my 18 month daughter
could do this mod'......

I havent locked the unit into place yet as i need to decide where to place
the gps antenna, but i did pick up 5 sats from just placing it behind the unit !!!!:uhm:

Just got to adjust the settings to my choice and away we go.......:blackrs4:

Clive,

Good to hear you have got it up and running!!

Now get the GPS antenna behind the glovebox! You know it makes sense!!

Terry

terrymcg said:
Clive,

Good to hear you have got it up and running!!

Now get the GPS antenna behind the glovebox! You know it makes sense!!

Terry

Yeah i think i will place it there as you advised in my previous post.. need a spare hour do that and some daylight sort it out this weekend....

cheers
clive

How about connection?
You needed some kind of adapter,right?

Evotek said:
How about connection?
You needed some kind of adapter,right?

No none at all it is just plug and play from the original leads in the car..
All i bought was the RNS-E Unit, GPS Antenna and DVD Map.....
That easy..........

Nice one Clive! Glad you got all working. Have you got any pics from the install? Would be good to see them.

Also, to get the best out of the RNS-E, log on to http://www.navplus.us and create a login there if you haven't already.

Hi Clive

Take it then it will be plug and play on my new S3?

Think it was actually manufactured in 2006 but just took delivery this week so don't know actually how long its been in the UK, think the PDI date was Nov 2006??

cliveywolves said:
No none at all it is just plug and play from the original leads in the car..
All i bought was the RNS-E Unit, GPS Antenna and DVD Map.....
That easy..........

Ok... I think I'm sold on this upgrade now. I picked up my new sportback yesterday, so it should be plug and play as you say.

A couple of questions. Did you buy the RNS-E from ebay. Could you reveal the seller? It would be nice to buy from a seller with an Audi-Sport forum member's recommendation. Where did you get your removal keys from? Also, where did you purchase your GPS antenna and DVD map from. Who did you get to program the DIS?

Actually, I'll make that a request to anyone near Peterborough who has VAG.COM and knows how to use it, to help me with the necessary changes, I'll cover their petrol and a few beers. Or alternatively, I can travel to you.

Lastly... anyone want to make me an offer on a one day old Symphony III?

Gary

JamS3 said:
Hi Clive

My understanding is that it is plug and play unless you have bose, in which case you have to move the bose wire on the plug. I'll be doing the same this myself in the very near future. If you beat me to it, can let me know how you got on?

Regards, John.

Hi All

I have seen a very neat GPS / GSM antenna that is also a tax disc holder which would make the finishing touches to a nice install

Chris.

Will do John, I did it on my old S3 with the RNS-D and there was alot of wire cutting,splicing and moving! Can't be bothered with that again!!

I'll be waiting a bit till I have had the car a few months so I can restock my money!!

JohnS3 said:
My understanding is that it is plug and play unless you have bose, in which case you have to move the bose wire on the plug. I'll be doing the same this myself in the very near future. If you beat me to it, can let me know how you got on?

Regards, John.

Hi John

I have BOSE.... which is BOSE wire and where do you have to move it to?

Thanks

Gary

HeliChris said:
Hi All

I have seen a very neat GPS / GSM antenna that is also a tax disc holder which would make the finishing touches to a nice install

Chris.

Sounds interesting... where did you see this?

Gary

Gary,

Check your PM mate.

Also on the Symphony III, sell it on ebay. I just sold my Symph II for £80.

So I would imagine a III will go for a fair bit more.

Terry

I might be interested in the Symphony III - I've got a Symphony II atm and need mp3 capability :)

JamS3 said:
Hi Clive

Think it was actually manufactured in 2006 but just took delivery this week so don't know actually how long its been in the UK, think the PDI date was Nov 2006??

Hi ....

It should be the same for you, i ordered my a3 in october, it was built in
Nov 2006 and is a 2007 Model....

galewis said:
Ok... I think I'm sold on this upgrade now. I picked up my new sportback yesterday, so it should be plug and play as you say.

A couple of questions. Did you buy the RNS-E from ebay. Could you reveal the seller? It would be nice to buy from a seller with an Audi-Sport forum member's recommendation. Where did you get your removal keys from? Also, where did you purchase your GPS antenna and DVD map from. Who did you get to program the DIS?

Actually, I'll make that a request to anyone near Peterborough who has VAG.COM and knows how to use it, to help me with the necessary changes, I'll cover their petrol and a few beers. Or alternatively, I can travel to you.

Lastly... anyone want to make me an offer on a one day old Symphony III?

Gary

Ok it was plug and play simple as that....

I did buy it from a seller on ebay but i dealt with him private and paid
via paypal he was a top man and gave me all his details.....He was recommended by somebody from this forum i think....

Removal keys you can buy from ebay but i had a friend who had some already and removed my concert III (it was tough)...

Ebay again for GPS and DVD Map...

Dont need to program your DIS on 2007 A3's It works A Ok....

Hope this helps you...

Clive

JohnS3 said:

Regards, John.

You are correct if you have BOSE you need to move a wire,
I dont have BOSE so didnt have to mess with that......

galewis said:
I have BOSE.... which is BOSE wire and where do you have to move it to?

The Bose pin is located in what's refered to as connector B, see top right block in this diagram of a Symphony II+

s3pinout.jpg

The picture is looking at the back of the Symphony.

The pins in connecter B run as follows-
12 11 10 9 8 7
6 5 4 3 2 1

Here bose is on pin 5, the RNSe expects to see this on pin 7.

More info here -
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4117
and here-
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3547

Get a login for navplus as the guys there know loads about the RNSe. I'd make sure that nothing else needs to be moved before you do it, be careful and if you need someone to do it for you , then craigyB is your man!!

HTH

HeliChris said:
Hi All

I'd be interested in this too! Any details? I'd imagine you'd get perfect reception with only the glass in the way.

cliveywolves said:
I did buy it from a seller on ebay but i dealt with him private and paid
via paypal he was a top man and gave me all his details.....He was recommended by somebody from this forum i think....
I bought my RNS-E from a guy called Paul, who trades under "topsatnav" on eBay. He lives in Hanwell, west London, and was great - not only was he able to supply an adapter with the RNS-E itself, but when I visited his home to collect it, he had a 12V harness wired up so he could demo the RNS-E to me before I handed over any cash.

benw123 said:
I'd be interested in this too! Any details? I'd imagine you'd get perfect reception with only the glass in the way.

I bought my RNS-E from a guy called Paul, who trades under "topsatnav" on eBay. He lives in Hanwell, west London, and was great - not only was he able to supply an adapter with the RNS-E itself, but when I visited his home to collect it, he had a 12V harness wired up so he could demo the RNS-E to me before I handed over any cash.

Yeah thats the same guy i got mine from , think it was you who recommended him to me.... I can 2nd him as a good seller and he knows what he selling also what helps.....I bought all my bits from him....

Cool! He seems very trustworthy, and as I said before, the fact he's willing to invite you to his house to collect means he must have faith in what he sells. Very few people do this at all on eBay, let alone RNS-E vendors.

Does anyone know what the last letter of the RNS-E has any bearing on spec. I might be able to get my hands on a 8P0 032 195 A.

From what I can make out, all 'A' means is that it's a 2005 model. Does anyone know if there are any functionality changes between this and the 2006/7 parts?

Thanks

Gary

According to the NavPlus forum the part number is 8P0 035 192 A for the Audi A3 8P Europe, MY 2005.

I have seen a few posts regarding this upgrade. I have a couple of questions for curiosity sake...

Firstly, obviously part of the benefit of GPS via a car system is that is uses sensors in the wheeel to ensure accurate tracking, even though GPS selective availability has been disabled for a while now, its not accurate to 10's cms more like 10's metres.

Do any of you guys know how the RNS-E upgrade gets the data from the car wheels, is this now provided via the CAN bus system? Or is this not available as part of the upgrade?

Secondly, is there a way to add your own POI to the system? I have a mate who purchased a DVD from Ebay for his M3 that has the Safety (yeah right) Cameras added to the original DVD. Its quite a nice feature and i wondered if anyone here had done the same thing?

stevec said:
Do any of you guys know how the RNS-E upgrade gets the data from the car wheels, is this now provided via the CAN bus system? Or is this not available as part of the upgrade?
Yep, the RNS-E does use the CAN bus system to obtain speed and direction data. I understand that this is from the ABS sensors, and even when you've hardly got any satellites, most of the time the RNS-E will manage to keep navigating thanks to this. And if you retrofit, there's no changes to make - the RNS-E will simply connect to the CAN and use the information. If you have DIS with your A3 8P, you won't even have to code it either using VAG-COM - DIS is used straight away.

stevec said:
Secondly, is there a way to add your own POI to the system? I have a mate who purchased a DVD from Ebay for his M3 that has the Safety (yeah right) Cameras added to the original DVD. Its quite a nice feature and i wondered if anyone here had done the same thing?
The short answer is no. On the http://www.navplus.us forum (a must for all things RNS-E), some people have a thread running where they're trying to decompile the software to see what (if anything) can be changed. In the existing RNS-E software, you can't change anything at all - not even the voice, like TomTom and the like.

With regard to the BMW navigation, I have seen some posts on a forum where the sat nav software had been cracked, even to the point where you can download some software to edit things like map colours, fonts and loads more. My bet is that the navplus guys will get it licked at some stage, but not just yet!

benw123 said:
HeliChris said:
Hi All
I've created a post on navplus.us to see if anyone has used these tax disc antennas - will post up any responses here!

Click here to see the post.

Ben,

Are you really getting that bad a signal? With my gps antenna behind the glovebox I consistantly get 8 satellites.

Terry

terrymcg said:
Ben,

Are you really getting that bad a signal? With my gps antenna behind the glovebox I consistantly get 8 satellites.

Terry
Well, it's not consistent. Occasionally, I'll see as many as seven for a while, and on particularly clear days on my short commute you might get four or five. But most of the time it's zero to three. If I drive for longer I will get more satellites, but before I go back out to the car and move the antenna again, I'm keen to look at this tax disc alternative.

In theory, there should be absolutely no interference, because the receiver is directly under the glass and is as close to the outside surface of the car as possible. Metal affects the GPS signal quite badly apparently.

What type of receiver are you using. When I had a SiRF II type bluetooth receiver attached to my PDA it would only get good signals when near the glass. I now have two SiRF III type receivers, one bluetooth and one that fits in the CF card slot of the PDA and they both pick up 7-8 satellites in any location in the car and much quicker than the SiRF II unit.

The antenna I have is one often supplied by RNS-E vendors, and looks much like this:

120sm.jpg

I don't know what type this is, except that in addition to the RNS-E, it also works with other portable sat nav systems like Tom Tom, NavMan etc. It has a magnetic base which is useful when mounting inside the dashboard, as much of the framework inside is metal.

Ben,

Yeah thats what my one is like, but can't say I have any problems with it.

Mind you they could be different brands I suppose.

Terry

Excellent News, I cant wait to get the nav fitted to my A3 when it turns up:)

Clive,

Thanks for this - just ordered my A3 S-Line last week with the Concert III - looking forward to putting in the RNS-E when I get it at the end of March.

Did you know in advance that you wouldn't need to use VAG-COM for your install, or was it just lucky that everything worked ? Also, do you have the Multi-function steering wheel and does everything work as expected with the RNS-E ?

Thanks, A.

GusNI said:
Did you know in advance that you wouldn't need to use VAG-COM for your install, or was it just lucky that everything worked ? Also, do you have the Multi-function steering wheel and does everything work as expected with the RNS-E ?
For more information about RNS-E retrofitting, see http://www.navplus.us. Whilst there's always lots of queries on Audi-Sport regarding the RNS-E, navplus is totally devoted to it. It's packed with information for people who wish to retrofit - I used it extensively to research my own install.

To answer your question though, in the A3 8P the RNS-E will go straight in and work without the use of VAG-COM if you already have a Symphony II stereo. If you have DIS it will use that too. You will need an adapter (from http://www.kufatec.de), a GPS antenna and a DVD disc. Most RNS-E vendors - even those on eBay - sell the RNS-E plus all the bits as a package.

However, you will need to hook up VAG-COM at some stage to tell the car it has navigation installed, because apparently it can log some faults in the diagnostics that your dealer may see.

benw123 said:
I've created a post on navplus.us to see if anyone has used these tax disc antennas - will post up any responses here!

Click here to see the post.

I found the by doing a search on GPS / GSM antenna tax disk on Google. I have never used one, but I put a GPS antenna under a tax disk holder once with no problem and always good sat count.

Chris.

Just a follow up to what Ben last posted,

If you retrofit RNS-E to a car with BOSE, it does not work straight away properly if your RNS-E came from a car with no BOSE. As I have been finding out at the moment.

You need to hook it up to Vag Com to enable the AudioPilot function, as it will work on the standard GALA settings but IMHO it is no way as good as the Audiopilot. As this does not just alter the volume it alters how the music is equalised as well.

So just something to take into consideration when adding to a car with BOSE.

Terry

GusNI said:
Clive,

Thanks for this - just ordered my A3 S-Line last week with the Concert III - looking forward to putting in the RNS-E when I get it at the end of March.

Thanks, A.

Hi , A.
I did a bit of research 1st but was told it was pretty much plug and play, everything working ok as far as i know . Sorry i dont have M/F Wheel so cant help you with part.....

Clive

cliveywolves said:
Hi All...

Just installed my rns-e unit into my 2007 A3:yahoo:
I cant explain to begin how easy this was it took me about 15 mins in
total from removing the concert III unit and replacing it with the rns-e,
plugging in and getting the beast up and running.......

Audi have made it so easy now for this great mod' as they now use quadlock and fakra connectors on 2007 models...It is just plug and play.

Was going give some pics but so easy i think my 18 month daughter
could do this mod'......

I havent locked the unit into place yet as i need to decide where to place
the gps antenna, but i did pick up 5 sats from just placing it behind the unit !!!!:uhm:

Just got to adjust the settings to my choice and away we go.......:blackrs4:

Clivewolves, I take it you had your RNS-E in a previous A3? I was wondering about the compatibility in getting one as my SptBk will probably be changing in a couple of years time and it would be good if I could install the RNS-E (if I get it!) into a newer model... Might be getting an S-Line version i think....
Cheers H