EM TuningChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

retro-fit ipod connection for 2007 A3

My new A3 sportback finally arrives next week but as it is a company car and I'm on a lowly grade I wasn't allowed to spec any extras whatsoever. Not happy about that but not a lot I can do. I do however want to use my ipod nano (2G) in the car. What are my options (prefer not to use FM transmistter if poss), what is recommended and how much?

Many Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    You can get the original Audi part from Audi-Accessories, but you only get the trailing plug not the fancy slot in gismo which sits in the glove box. Cost? 85.49.

http://www.audi-accessories.co.uk/in...od&productId=3

HTH.
    Last edited by JohnS3; 11th January 2007 at 11:19. Reason: spelling.......

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks John, any alternatives (non OEM) that might display a bit more info?

Status
    There's an adverty for an aftermarket ipod controller that displays track info etc but they are using an arial connection. I'm assuming that they info is dislpayed using RDS? Can't remember the name of it but I'll have a look when I get home if no one else knows the company supplying it.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    I think you mean the Harmon Kardon drive and play. Had a google around and came up with this -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/DRIVE-PLAY-A.../dp/B000DZ834W

Costs about 130 from amazon. You have the choice of a wired connection or via the FM antenna. Handy little thing as you get the track info displayed on a little screen and also have a remote ipod controller.

Any good??

Status
    No thats not the one I was thinking off. But that is another option!

J.

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.

6th Gear

Status
    Mmmmm. What else could it be??

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS3
    I think you mean the Harmon Kardon drive and play. Had a google around and came up with this -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/DRIVE-PLAY-A.../dp/B000DZ834W

Costs about 130 from amazon. You have the choice of a wired connection or via the FM antenna. Handy little thing as you get the track info displayed on a little screen and also have a remote ipod controller.

Any good??
    Just found the same one at Argos for 99.99 fitted. Mighty tempted and then again may go for the compact and neatness of the OEM cable (sans dock). The nano I have is so small and light, shoulkd be okay to stow in glovebox.

1st Gear

Status
    I've got the dealer-fit ipod connection with trailing cable. The cable is really long. I've got my ipod (3G) in a fabric holster which seems to stick well to the glovebox liner so doesn't rattle around. I do still have an intermittent fault with track freezes and reverting to CDC6. Seems to be like a momentary disconnection, but can't replicate for dealers yet...
    A3 Sportback 170TDI quattro S-line
    Lava Grey, SymphonyII, BOSE, Light and Rain Sensor Pack, I-POD connection , MF Steering Wheel, Rear Parking Sensors.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS3
    Mmmmm. What else could it be??
    I'll look it up tonight, it's an FM modulator but the track name appears on the headunits's display. They don't use an external one although there must be some device to manage the ipod.

J.

6th Gear

Status
    Last edited by MarcQuinlivan; 8th May 2009 at 09:53.

1st Gear

Status
    So can you skip through albums via the headunit or do you still need to use the iPod to do that?
    A3 2.0TDi Sport, Mauritius Blue, Xenons, Black Leather/Alcantara, BOSE, Heated Seats, Parking Sensors, Light/Rain Sensor Pack, Interior Light Pack, Armrests.

2nd Gear

Status
    You can go for either the Harman Kardon - the best i think and i'm going to get one fitted in mine (99.99 fitted at halfords) or you can get the Dension Ice Link as used by BMW as well....

Have a look on the net at them mate, just type them in a search engine.

I prefer the functionality of the HK and also the look.

Hope my waffling has helped! LOL

2nd Gear

Status
    I have just had a play with the H&K at Halfords. It seems like a really sweet set up and has a great feel to it. When you press the select "button" in on the controller the whole controller pulses blue as well, really nice.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I use the OEM Audi iPod adapter, and have fed the cable into the lower dash storage tray on the right of the steering wheel. It sits in there quite nicely, doesn't move around, and is hidden from view. It's also dead easy to self-install.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals