retro-fit ipod connection for 2007 A3

MrWhite

Reaction score
My new A3 sportback finally arrives next week but as it is a company car and I'm on a lowly grade I wasn't allowed to spec any extras whatsoever. Not happy about that but not a lot I can do. I do however want to use my ipod nano (2G) in the car. What are my options (prefer not to use FM transmistter if poss), what is recommended and how much?

Many Thanks.

Thanks John, any alternatives (non OEM) that might display a bit more info?

There's an adverty for an aftermarket ipod controller that displays track info etc but they are using an arial connection. I'm assuming that they info is dislpayed using RDS? Can't remember the name of it but I'll have a look when I get home if no one else knows the company supplying it.

J.

JohnS3 said:
I think you mean the Harmon Kardon drive and play. Had a google around and came up with this -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DRIVE-PLAY-Apple-Docking-Anschluss/dp/B000DZ834W

Costs about £130 from amazon. You have the choice of a wired connection or via the FM antenna. Handy little thing as you get the track info displayed on a little screen and also have a remote ipod controller.

Any good??

Just found the same one at Argos for £99.99 fitted. Mighty tempted and then again may go for the compact and neatness of the OEM cable (sans dock). The nano I have is so small and light, shoulkd be okay to stow in glovebox.

I've got the dealer-fit ipod connection with trailing cable. The cable is really long. I've got my ipod (3G) in a fabric holster which seems to stick well to the glovebox liner so doesn't rattle around. I do still have an intermittent fault with track freezes and reverting to CDC6. Seems to be like a momentary disconnection, but can't replicate for dealers yet...

JohnS3 said:
Mmmmm. What else could it be??

I'll look it up tonight, it's an FM modulator but the track name appears on the headunits's display. They don't use an external one although there must be some device to manage the ipod.

J.

So can you skip through albums via the headunit or do you still need to use the iPod to do that?

You can go for either the Harman Kardon - the best i think and i'm going to get one fitted in mine (£99.99 fitted at halfords) or you can get the Dension Ice Link as used by BMW as well....

Have a look on the net at them mate, just type them in a search engine.

I prefer the functionality of the HK and also the look.

Hope my waffling has helped! LOL

I have just had a play with the H&K at Halfords. It seems like a really sweet set up and has a great feel to it. When you press the select "button" in on the controller the whole controller pulses blue as well, really nice.

I use the OEM Audi iPod adapter, and have fed the cable into the lower dash storage tray on the right of the steering wheel. It sits in there quite nicely, doesn't move around, and is hidden from view. It's also dead easy to self-install.