Woohoo the remap is complete!

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Just a quick post regarding the Bluefin remap i ordered. I downloaded the data from the car last night and emailed them last night with it, the code was ready this morning at 9am to be uploaded onto the car, so downloaded it from superchips server and put it into the car, takes around 15mins to do a download and upload onto the car.

Performance has increased so much, the engine is very responsive, not that it wasn't before, but it has increased the resposiveness of it alot. Power wise is awesome, thats the only word i can use to explain it, the kick in the back you get when you put your foot down is really really good, there is a massive gain of torque and you can really feel it, overtaking is just so much easier, if you drop it into 3rd at say 40mph and floor it you can really really feel the car pushing you into the back of the seat.

Power doesn't die until way past 6k rpm!

MPG wise i aint had a journey when i haven't been hammering around in it so i can't compare to see what difference it has made. I will drive home from work normally tonight and see what mpg i get as usually i get 35mpg overall over a 15mile trip.

As to if its worth the £509 then my answer so far would be yes!!!!

Sounds great - keep me posted on this!

BTW whats the procedure with the Bluefin remap? You download the code and install yourself then? What about cables and stuff - is this supplied?

What are the estimated power gains?

Sorry but I've not paid much attention to the Bluefin info flying about until this post!

Cheers :beerchug:

Sounds good im still sceptical with regards to it being the same remap for all cars. Yet all are different

I think the reason they will do it like this Simon to lock the remap down to your car so that you can't just take it around to mine and plug it in. It will be coded to your VIN but same remap for everyone.

What is the likely price difference when you declare a remap as i would like to get our car done at some point.

C_Audiboy said:
Sounds great - keep me posted on this!

BTW whats the procedure with the Bluefin remap? You download the code and install yourself then? What about cables and stuff - is this supplied?

What are the estimated power gains?

Sorry but I've not paid much attention to the Bluefin info flying about until this post!

Cheers :beerchug:

Well you get the bluefin unit, plug it into your car and it will automatically download the original data from the car

then install some software onto your PC and connect the bluefin to your PC and press 'Start' and it will take the data from the bluefin and send it off to superchips

then you will get a text and email telling you that the remap is ready to be downloaded from superchips

so you connect the bluefin to the pc and open up the bluefin software and press 'Start' and the data will be downloaded from superchips server and onto the bluefin

once that has done you connect the unit to the car and it will upload the data onto the car and after around 15mins you are ready to rock!

all you have to do then is contact your insurance and tell them know.

i like the extra power but i have bought it for better overall drivebility so only a good trip down to the GF's in oxford will give me a clue to if its much better or if i should fill out the 7 day refund form and send the unit back.

i will keep you posted.

oh and the gains are about 250bhp and around 340Nm or so i believe.

Hi,

So if they have a 7 Day refund policy, what is stopping you re mapping the car then sending it back for a refund, while still having the map on your car?!!??!

Maybe they initially give you a map that only lasts for 7 days and then, if you don't request a refund within the time limit, you can download a non-expiring version?

if you want a refund you need to download the remapped calibration and send it off to them so i am guessing the bluefin will tell them if the standard map has been put back into the car or not.

What i mean is im sceptical about the generic remaps basically if you have a 2.0tfsi then the map is the same even though no two engines are identical.

Simon,

I agree with what your are saying as no two engines run the same.

And a remap normally intails getting your car on a rolling road and setting it up individually.

So how does the generic map work? And how do you know the car is running at peak performance.

Don't get me wrong, as superchips are a big company and must have researched this before it went on sale!

Imagine its not quite running at its very best but more a safe managable level. i.e. it wont adversely effect the engine or parts.I looked at all the options and the best one ive found is AMD thats why the car goes in there on wednesday next week. Robin get the car on the rollers and see exactly whats what

Yes it is correct that every engine isn't the same but manufacturers still use the same standard calibration for every engine, they don't make a new calibration file for each new engine they produce so i guess you can see it that way, with AMD i guess they are getting the most out of 'that' particular engine whereas superchips use a 'reference' engine and assume that the calibration for that particular engine will work in the same way on another engine.

I have just come back from work and driven it as i normally would and got 32mpg which is down from the standard tune.

I have also noticed that there is a little hesitation (sp) when you are on full throttle at some points, its not at the same engine speed everytime when it hesitates, it feels like the engine is retarding the ignition due to the knock sensor noticing something it doesn't like, feels similar to how the traction control feels when it comes on. I am a bit wary about this so i am going back to my standard tune and i will ring superchips tomorrow :-/

40 bhp and 45 lb/ft of torque for £400 + vat and thats set up on the RR could be more with the mods i have already i will report back when its done.As im driving there from aberdeen ill be able to make a good comparisson on the way back up the road

A3simon said:
What i mean is im sceptical about the generic remaps basically if you have a 2.0tfsi then the map is the same even though no two engines are identical.

A3simon said:
Imagine its not quite running at its very best but more a safe managable level. i.e. it wont adversely effect the engine or parts.I looked at all the options and the best one ive found is AMD thats why the car goes in there on wednesday next week. Robin get the car on the rollers and see exactly whats what

Audi will use the same code accross the range depending on the revision of the ECU. Obviously they leave a massive margin for error to cater for the different markets etc.

The generic remap code will take the engine closer to it's limits but not to the limits so for most people this will be sufficient.

If you find a fault with the generic remap in day to day driving they normally look at the code, spot a possible fault, fix it and send it back.

J.

RobinA3 said:
Yes it is correct that every engine isn't the same but manufacturers still use the same standard calibration for every engine, they don't make a new calibration file for each new engine they produce so i guess you can see it that way, with AMD i guess they are getting the most out of 'that' particular engine whereas superchips use a 'reference' engine and assume that the calibration for that particular engine will work in the same way on another engine.

I have just come back from work and driven it as i normally would and got 32mpg which is down from the standard tune.

I have also noticed that there is a little hesitation (sp) when you are on full throttle at some points, its not at the same engine speed everytime when it hesitates, it feels like the engine is retarding the ignition due to the knock sensor noticing something it doesn't like, feels similar to how the traction control feels when it comes on. I am a bit wary about this so i am going back to my standard tune and i will ring superchips tomorrow :-/

Do you have someone near with VAGCOM, to see if it's picked anything up. Sorry to bang on about being lean, but it would feel much the same as a miss, seen a Lotus Exiges (Mk1) go up in flames after running a bit lean , super heating the cat which set the fiber glass on fire :(. Hope you get some good answers from superchips.

Chris.

HeliChris said:
Do you have someone near with VAGCOM, to see if it's picked anything up.
Chris.

No i don't know anyone with VAGCOM near me so i am currently in the middle of putting it back to standard and see what superchips say about it tomorrow. Bit of an **** but better safe than sorry.

Hiya Robin,

Just replied over on uk-mkivs.net mate as to your hesitation problem...

When i bought my MKV GTI back in jan 2006 i was going to have it mapped by APR but was put off by reports of misfires/hesitation on the 2.0T, eventually Awesome GTI and the other tuners found the problem to lie with the standard diverter valve failing under the extra power/torque

Apparently there was a batch of diverters on the early cars that had been failing even on standard unmapped cars and VW/Audi et al started to use a revised part to overcome, it's quite common apparently and one of ECSTuning's most commonly ordered parts..

Maybe your problem lies with the diverter valve mate?

HTH

yeah just read your reply on there, i'll ring Audi tomorrow and see if they can change it for me under warranty, i'll put the Bluefin on hold for the time being.

thanks for the input steve!

No probs Robin! :icon_thumright:

Just been reading over on the Vortex about the problems caused by the failing/failed revision 'B' diverters..

Seems they die a slow death and can work perfectly fine on a standard car but the extra boost on a mapped car causes the diverter to leak boost (around 5K RPM on full throttle seems the norm) causing the car to 'pull back', sound like your problem at all?

Apparently its the design/construction of the diaphragm material in the diverter at fault, the newer version has an extra diapraghm iirc..

Beddie said:
Seems they die a slow death and can work perfectly fine on a standard car but the extra boost on a mapped car causes the diverter to leak boost (around 5K RPM on full throttle seems the norm) causing the car to 'pull back', sound like your problem at all?

Thats EXACTLY what its like, it feels like it drops off boost for a split second like when the Traction control comes on.

i am trying to find out where abouts this valve is located so i can debate if i should buy one from audi and fit it myself or try and claim Audi warranty which probably be a ballache unless its a common problem and they know about it.

Hang on a mo.... i've got a piccie somewhere...;)

Here ya go mate....

By all accounts you'll need small hands though as it's quite cramped in there but as you managed to fit the new indicator bulbs i'm sure you'll be fine lol! :)

Turbo.jpg

thanks for all that info steve

i'll give audi a call tomorrow to see how much a new one is, if its loads then i will book it in and get them to do it under warranty, if its cheapish then i'll buy it myself and do it myself.

infact i wonder if they will exchange the valve for free.............

mmmm i'll ring Macc audi as they seem to have good reviews about their customer service, lets put it to the test..........

oh lol about the small hands but i don't actually have small hands, i just have a high pain barrier so i will stick my hand into any gap and just deal with the pain until i pull it out with missing skin! lol

Glad i could help out mate..

ECStuning do the valves for $50 so i would think they are around the £30 mark over here?
Macc Audi have given me great customer service mate so give them a try, if they have one in stock your set mate, just break out the jack and some tools and fit it tomorrow and turn the bluefin back on for tomorrow night..:icon_thumright:
Steve

good luck doing this with the car on a jsck i had it on a 4 poster and tillit took a couple hour to fit my forge dv. I also found the bolts were well lock tighted on

Simon are you not worried about the warranty issue with fitting the aftermarket DV?

I have just ordered a new DV from Audi and will be picking it up tomorrow to fit. Comes to £23.45 which is cheap considering its a OE part.

I will try and do a guide on how to change these things when i do mine.

A3simon said:
No not really i havent done anything yet that aint reversable

so does the aftermarket DV make alot of difference?

Robin,

As far as I know the aftermarket DV are not actually DV's. They are atmospheric blow off valves that just make that well knowen noise when you change gear.

They dont actually enhance the engine in anyway other than going psshtttttttttt!

Terry

terrymcg said:
Robin,

As far as I know the aftermarket DV are not actually DV's. They are atmospheric blow off valves that just make that well knowen noise when you change gear.

They dont actually enhance the engine in anyway other than going psshtttttttttt!

Terry
[FONT=&quot]A Dump Valve does serve one performance benefit, which is to prevent turbo stall during gear change. The valve opens during gear change to prevent a build up of pressure between the turbo and the throttle flap. In the split second of the gear change and high boost pressures the pressure can force the compressor fan of the turbo to stop spinning, which not only shortens the life of the turbo, but also means it has to re spool up when the throttle is re opended. With a dump valve fitted the turbo free wheels during the gear change, keeping its momentum, and therefore spools up faster after the gear change. That’s where the dump valve performance gains come from. They also prevent hoses from popping off during the gear change. As for the pssshttttt sound that is cosmetic.

Hope this helps

Chris.
[/FONT]

Chris,

Okay I stand corrected!!!

But I did not think the valves on Audis were dump valves, they are diverter valves. Which I believed were different. Don't ask me how they work!

And as far as I know tha valve Simon has fitted is purley for the cosmetic noise, I think he has a variable one so you can alter the volume of the sound.

Terry

Hi Terry

I was talking about a Dump Valve not a Diverter Valve, the gains are very marginal. If the valve makes the noise then it has the ability to get the performance benefit, but your need the boost pressure there to see it :)

I have worked on a car that you could see dump its excess pressure if the road was damp :)

Chris.

ouch £110

i think i will stay standard for the time being