Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vertigo1

Thread: 2.0 TDI 170 - torque

Reverse Gear

Status

2.0 TDI 170 - torque

Apologies if thsi has been posted before but the torque figure for this engine is eaxctly the same as the 140 i.e 236 lbs/ft??? Why is this when the same engine in a Golf, Leon or Octavia has upwards of 250 lbs/ft? Surely not?

If this is the case then how ould it manifest. I know that torque is turning force but never really understood the relationship between BHP and torque. The quoted 0-60 time on the 170 engine is so much faster than the 140 - this all down to the increase in horsepower then?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    It's not the same. 258 lbs/ft (350Nm) vs 236 lbs/ft (320Nm). The 170TDI also maintains higher torque for longer
    A3 Sportback 170TDI quattro S-line
    Lava Grey, SymphonyII, BOSE, Light and Rain Sensor Pack, I-POD connection , MF Steering Wheel, Rear Parking Sensors.

1st Gear

Status
    BTW I think;
    torque (lbs/ft) x rpm / 5252 = power (hp)
    A3 Sportback 170TDI quattro S-line
    Lava Grey, SymphonyII, BOSE, Light and Rain Sensor Pack, I-POD connection , MF Steering Wheel, Rear Parking Sensors.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Oh right thanks. Diesel car are quoting the same figures in the magazine and in the text of the review of the 170. That's good news then as I get mine next week. Some wait that since the 17th September (company car though).

5th Gear

Status
    Is there a massive difference in the TDI170 vs the TDI140? So much to say that its actually worth getting the 170 instead?

6th Gear

Status
    Yes the difference is very pronounced. The 140 makes peak torque of 320Nm but it tails off quite a bit as the revs rise so that, by 4000rpm, it's only making about 260Nm. The 170 peaks at 350Nm but sustains it for far longer. The 170 actually exceeds the 140's peak torque of 320Nm for most of the 2000-4000rpm rev range. The engine is much more willing to rev and doesn't get breathless by about 3500rpm as with the 140.
    LEE69 likes this.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWhite
    Oh right thanks. Diesel car are quoting the same figures in the magazine and in the text of the review of the 170. That's good news then as I get mine next week. Some wait that since the 17th September (company car though).
    Chances are the figures for the 140 will have been from a test they did. Most of the VAG deisels produce more power than quoted.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten