Insurance for An New S3. Im 21 As A Named driver. Whos the best?

DaveS3Turbo

Sepang Blue S3
Reaction score
Best Company For me as 21 Named Drive On S3.

No Conv, 1 Accident, Etc.
5 NCB On Dads Policy Etc.
Good Area + Garaged
9000 Miles

Dave

Who will be the main driver?

Who has the 5 yrs no claims, as your 5 yrs as a named driver dont count for anything, as you're a named driver.

Its only the main drivers no claims that will count.

Depending on how the main drivers record is your price shouldnt be too terrible, perhaps around 1-1.2k

Confused.com does a trawl of 80 odd percent of the insurers but they don't have the current S3 listed. I emailed them but they cant tell me when this will be added (very odd :faint:)

The best guide I found for getting car insurance was on moneysavingexpert.com

You do apparently get NCD if you go with Direct Line if you are a named driver. Apparently. :unsure:

Yeah insurance companies will usually give you somehting if you've been driving claim free on some1's policy, but only if you're the main driver, not as a named, its only the main drivers no claims that count.

Deja Vu this thread is, going to get some peoples backs up me predicts.

Master Yoda

If you're going to be the main or sole driver of this car yet are planning to insure it in your father's name with yourself as a named driver, you are aware that this is fraud and thus highly illegal? If you have to make a claim and they discover you're the main driver of the vehicle they'll have every right to refuse payout. If you think they'll never find out, you'll be surprised how much they'll dig around to find a reason to get out of paying for a £27k motor.

my experience of searching for quotes, try the following companies if its a performance hatch:

Greenlight insurance

Adrian Flux

Speak with them, they may be willing to honor your previous driving experience.

Norwich Union Direct is also good, and take into account company car driving etc... so maybe worth ago.

My experience of confused.com is terrible, quotes of £1600+ and im over 30 :faint:

confused.com are awful - they class factory fitted options as 'modifications' causes a whole load of bother when u come to take the insurance out as, lets faace it, how many audis do we buy as standard with no options on? lol you would never sell it on!!!!

Adrian flux are the bees knees - i been with them for the last 7 years - i'm not sure you can do better as a young driver - im 27 and they still always come out the cheapest + options are not classed as mods to them

steve184 said:
confused.com are awful - they class factory fitted options as 'modifications' causes a whole load of bother when u come to take the insurance out as, lets faace it, how many audis do we buy as standard with no options on? lol you would never sell it on!!!!

Adrian flux are the bees knees - i been with them for the last 7 years - i'm not sure you can do better as a young driver - im 27 and they still always come out the cheapest + options are not classed as mods to them

There are two sides to picking an insurer. The first is how cheap an insurance quote is. The second is what happens when you are in a crash. In most cases no one checks the second until after they have a crash then complain how terrible the insurer is.

I'd like to know how Adrian flux are when a crash occurs, then I can rate them, as i use my car for work it's not beneficial to go for the cheapest as I need transport for a job - I don't want to be on the phone arguing about repairer garages and hire cars, when I should be in a meeting somewhere...

I have used confused.com as part of the moneysavingexpert.com car insurance guide repeatedly (this is worth a read). I have consistenetly been left with either Norwich Union and/or Direct Line as the best options each saving me £100 over the renewal premuims. Its a very good way to cut corners to give an idea of a quote, once your details are entered its easy to edit them for the next year and takes a maximum of 10 minutes, which for 80% of the market is good value to me.

As to the optional extras, you should examine your policy very carefully. I have always been asked for the mods to the car (factory fitted ones) these made no difference to the end quote, but I have been repeatedly informed that the quotes insurance companies offer are for the base spec of the car only. As noted we all have extras fitter, if you don't tell the insurer when you take out the insurance you won't get this included if they pay out for a write off, you will only get a pay out on the base car you asked for the quote against.

You would be well to check your options are logged with the insurance company!

If you brought the car new you may also want to get GAP insurance. I'll be getting this on my new S3 this year.

If you're claiming to be a named driver and your the main driver and you need to make a claim on a £27,000 car, they might just try and not pay up, infact if you took the letter of the law (assuming you will actually be the main driver) you not insured. Please don't drive into me!

stevec said:
There are two sides to picking an insurer. The first is how cheap an insurance quote is. The second is what happens when you are in a crash. In most cases no one checks the second until after they have a crash then complain how terrible the insurer is.

I'd like to know how Adrian flux are when a crash occurs, then I can rate them, as i use my car for work it's not beneficial to go for the cheapest as I need transport for a job - I don't want to be on the phone arguing about repairer garages and hire cars, when I should be in a meeting somewhere...

I have used confused.com as part of the moneysavingexpert.com car insurance guide repeatedly (this is worth a read). I have consistenetly been left with either Norwich Union and/or Direct Line as the best options each saving me £100 over the renewal premuims. Its a very good way to cut corners to give an idea of a quote, once your details are entered its easy to edit them for the next year and takes a maximum of 10 minutes, which for 80% of the market is good value to me.

As to the optional extras, you should examine your policy very carefully. I have always been asked for the mods to the car (factory fitted ones) these made no difference to the end quote, but I have been repeatedly informed that the quotes insurance companies offer are for the base spec of the car only. As noted we all have extras fitter, if you don't tell the insurer when you take out the insurance you won't get this included if they pay out for a write off, you will only get a pay out on the base car you asked for the quote against.

You would be well to check your options are logged with the insurance company!

If you brought the car new you may also want to get GAP insurance. I'll be getting this on my new S3 this year.

I agree with everything you say, and I too use the car for work purposes, so dont need the hassle that a poor insurance company can cause.

I use to use Norwich Union Direct, and without a doubt they are excellent, but they dont cover modified cars (not many companies do)

Adrian Flux are excellent imho, customer service is excellent, provided you call within office hours (which I find is fine)

As far as mods/factory extras, Adrian Flux have never asked me to provide these in the 3 years I have used them. They ask for the value of the car when purchased new and the non factory mods.

As the car is financed I would advise everyone to get GAP or shortfall insurance. This takes away any risk that you might right off your car or have it nicked and end up with an insurance payout that leaves you finance still to pay!

I have the GAP insurance which if the car is righten off/stolen and never recovered pays out the full amount I paid for the car, this covers me for 3 years. Worth every penny!

Confused.com might work for some but it has ALWAYS given me silly prices for premiums, and I dont care how good an insurance company is, paying £200 more just seems daft to me. I have legal cover, I get a hire car if Im in an accident (for the full duration of the repairs - not 2 weeks like Tesco ;)) Unlimited mileage per year, business use, and when the modding bug takes hold..... i can declare them and it doesnt make the premium go sky high!

:)

BTW he's never ever said he's goin to be the main driver - maybe he's just tryin to convince dad to put him on the policy :racer:

Regarding picking insurance companies - they are robbing gits! But to add to what has already been posted. Even if you do declare your factory fitted options a lot of insurance companies will still only pay out for a standard replacement.

Personally I use confused.com to get the prices and then when I apply for the insurance modify the quote on the insurers site.

J.

Elephant has always been good for me £450 fc with 3 yrs ncb at 24 23 when i got the car. That other post was very amusing though people are very opinionated on here.

bahh, insurance fraud. Im sure most of us have done it and most of us just wont post about it for the risk of being frowned upon. When i realised how much money it was going to save me if i spent my first years driving in my dads name. i spose there does come a point where u have to draw the line, maybe when ure 25 lol.

Theyre brilliant looking cars and at 21 to have one, fair play to you.