S3 remapping

klauster

Reaction score
hunting high and low for a company with figures or even a cost for a new S3 remap anyone know of any, AMD have promised to call me when they have a test car done, but after 1k id like the remap doing, so that could be in 2 weeks....

Anyone have any idea what gains I can expect, circa 300bhp?

klauster said:
hunting high and low for a company with figures or even a cost for a new S3 remap anyone know of any, AMD have promised to call me when they have a test car done, but after 1k id like the remap doing, so that could be in 2 weeks....

Anyone have any idea what gains I can expect, circa 300bhp?

the 2TFSI gains an extra 40-50 bhp with a remap so i would expect around the same gains for a S3

why would you want to remap a brand new 8P S3? Is it not fast enough? You are obviously risking the warranty with audi if you do it. Why not buy another car with more power, maybe an S4 instead. Seems a shame to me to get a new car and tinker with it virtually straight away. Obviously not good enough out of the box for you so why shell out all that money for it in the first place.

remap prob give extra 30 bhp, push it just over 300bhp. Not gonna make it much faster, certainly not like M3 fast. Just my opinion. Maybe totally different to everyone elses.

Cooky

John another way to look at it is that it comes as standard underperforming and you are just releasing the true performance.

alot of people like myself remap a car to make its driveability better, its not all about the power gains.

in some cases because the torque and power curve has moved MPG will increase.

but then again the extra power is fun...............;-)

john_cook said:
why would you want to remap a brand new 8P S3? Is it not fast enough? You are obviously risking the warranty with audi if you do it. Why not buy another car with more power, maybe an S4 instead. Seems a shame to me to get a new car and tinker with it virtually straight away. Obviously not good enough out of the box for you so why shell out all that money for it in the first place.

remap prob give extra 30 bhp, push it just over 300bhp. Not gonna make it much faster, certainly not like M3 fast. Just my opinion. Maybe totally different to everyone elses.

Cooky

this sounds like someone who knows nothing about remaps, or the fact that cars are de-tuned by manufacturers to get them past EU regulations. Why drive around in a 262bhp car when it will easily produce 300bhp??

For your info it doesnt void the warranty, I have remapped 2 VW cars now, the VW garages that have serviced it and done warranty work have actuallly said it sounded and went better then normal.

Remaps not only increase power, but also remove flat spots, increase the efficiency of the engine, and generally are a good thing.

If you have ever owned an R32 not getting one was a foolish mistake!

/rant over

i'm not having a go at you mate, just expressing my opinion. I think the new S3 is a great car. If I got one I would probably just leave it standard and enjoy it for what it is.

Yeah, you're right, I don't know lots about remaps, but I do think they can void your warranty. There is a big difference between what a few individual VW garages say about remaps on your car and what VW/Audi UK (the company) would say if you took a new £27,000 car back to them with serious engine issues post 'after market' tuning. I don't think the garage would say straight away no problem, we will sort it out under warranty even tho its been tuned to over 300bhp. Correct me if I'm wrong. If thats is the case however why isnt every ****** under the sun getting their cars chipped and tuned without worry of voiding warranty. When I had a mini cooper S there were many possible tuning avenues, the only one covered by the BMW warranty was the John Cooper Works pack tho. Have Audi or VW got a different policy? I can't believe they do as they would be leving themselves open to paying out for repair work on cars that have been tinkered with by people other than VW.

Also, the S3 is a 2 litre turbo. A 2 litre turbo can produce well over 300bhp as seen in many rally cars. That doesn't mean its good for the engine, or that just because it can produce this power it can maintain it for 50-100,000 miles. I'd just be a bit more careful with my investment in the car, maybe wait and see a long term review of a new S3 that has been tuned. Hope you can see these are fair points, even for a tuning virgin :shrug:

cooky

Of course it would void the warranty. No company is going to cover a engine that had been modified in any way that they have no control over. It's just that, depending what was wrong with the car, the dealer may choose to turn a blind eye, especially if it's not engine or power related.

A fault with a door handle would not raise a problem but a fault with the clutch or some part of the engine may be another matter. I have heard of one chap with a clutch problem who's dealer actaully checked with his insurance company to see if a re-map had been declared to them. It had and the dealer refused to deal with the problem under warranty. He got in touch with Audi UK and they supported the dealer.

Have to agree with John on the warranty issue. Although they're not going to void the warranty completely and thus refuse to undertake non-engine related issues, if the car develops any major engine problems and they discover it's been remapped you'll have a hell of a time making them pay up. They're not about to spend thousands on engine work on a remapped car when it would set a precedent and potentially open the floodgates for warranty claims on all manner of "tweaked" engines, no matter how good or bad the work.

I have just had to check what my original post said, I thought I asked if anyone new of the performance gains and availability of an S3 remap, not the moral standing of whether I should get one or not...

Thanks for the concern, but I dont intend to a) blow my engine up b) give it back to Audi if I did expecting them to fix it c) worry about the car's extended lifetime past 60,000 miles, I wont be driving it then

klauster said:
To be honest I dont really care :)

:wtf:

I really don't understand this comment. You gotta be insane not to care about your new S3. Unless you are totally loaded and can afford to go and buy a brand new one straight after messing up the first one. If you are that loaded you probably ain't gonna be spending your money on an S3 but would go for something more expensive and better all round.

You must be a nutter! :jump:

cooky

klauster said:
To be honest I dont really care :)

its your car, you can so what you want with it.

Trouble is that as the S3 is just off the production line, you're going to have a bit of a wait till a production map is released. If you're that keen you could offer your car as a guinnea pig and expect a cheap if not free remap - but you're going to be back and forward a few times to test out new maps...

have fun with only 265bhp for now :p - give it a couple of months and get it Revo'd along with a turbo back exhaust system, haldex and FMIC ;)

good for 320bhp at least :D

john_cook said:
:wtf:

I really don't understand this comment. You gotta be insane not to care about your new S3. Unless you are totally loaded and can afford to go and buy a brand new one straight after messing up the first one. If you are that loaded you probably ain't gonna be spending your money on an S3 but would go for something more expensive and better all round.

You must be a nutter! :jump:

cooky

No im not a nutter fella, just too excited to care, only 3 days to go :laugh:

I hear all your comments, and agree with some of them, of course I dont want to ****** it up, but at the same time , I dont expect a remap to do that, its not like im fitting a larger turbo, or messing around with superchargers etc... just a tiny tweak to up the output :p

I cant afford another one just yet....

thanks for all your comments,, i will post pics when it arrives

only other thing, over on the VW forum tonnes of people have remapped their cars, some to much more extremes then what I have planned and havent had any issues, I guess Im the eternal optimist

fairplay Klauster, fairplay.

I'm sure it will be fine with a remap, its a hell of a car already, it will be even sweeter with a remap i'm sure.

At least your gonna enjoy yourself. I guess thats the most important thing about getting a car like this. Have fun buddy. :rock:

cooky over and out.

Hi All

The problem I have with remaps, on any engine, is that I am not sure the tuning company has done the home work properly. The reason I think this is because I the original factory map is designed to work at all altitudes and at all temperatures., one they have determined the fueling needs of the engine with all these parameters then size the injectors to meet these needs.

So my example is

Injector is running at 100%, when it’s in the Alps, on a cold morning, at 1 bar boost, and 6K RPM.

So what would happen when you take your remapped car to this extreme, the injector can’t deliver more than 100% fuel, unless it’s been changed for a larger injector, so the engine will be run lean?

I know it’s an extreme, and most users will never get near these extremes, so you are just using the spare capacity in the injector, but the manufacture tests it to this level, does the tuning company? The problem is with a turbo car a lean running engine can do a lot of damage before you even notice it, I should know, I joined the two holed piston club driving a new engine / install to the rolling road with very low boost, a distance of 15 miles. The problem turned out to be an undersized fuel return by the way.

I know there will also be hacks in the map for marketing (MPG figures) and legislation (Emissions and Noise) which can be removed to make the engine smoother, but no tuning company sells their remap on making the engine as smoother, just headline BHP figures, so where does the extra fueling come from?

Chris.

But Audi do remaps anyway - dont they? The local dealer has told me about this service and they have stated that it does not invalidate warranty if done through them. I'm not sure if its a generic Revo map or something Audi have produced themselves.

I've never enquired anymore about it, but I thought it was handy to know for when the time comes. I suppose it would be wise to get them in writing to state that the warranty would be honoured after the remap.

Anyone know anything else like this from other dealers (this was Glasgow Audi BTW)?

Maybe a 'supported' remap for the new S3 will be on the cards.......

Don't forget that the manufacturers have to design their engines to run like you said in all weathers, altitudes but also to run on a variety of different quality of fuels

I've remapped several of my cars and not had a problem. Thats caining the nuts of off them and covering significat mileages. All I do is make sure they are serviced properly.

J.

marriedblonde said:
Don't forget that the manufacturers have to design their engines to run like you said in all weathers, altitudes but also to run on a variety of different quality of fuels
marriedblonde said:
I've remapped several of my cars and not had a problem. Thats caining the nuts of off them and covering significat mileages. All I do is make sure they are serviced properly.
The point is I am sure most users of a remap with never have any problems, unless they take the cars to extremes, but how do you know where the extremes are? [FONT=&quot]So is that trip to the Scottish highlands, on a dodgy supermarket fill up likely to do damage?
[/FONT]
Chris.

I get my S3 sometime this week (it have arrived to my dealer) and I have already booked a remap at the end of this month. Why the hell would remap be a problem, have done it with every car I ever had. So thoose of you that loves cars, improve them and take care of them, you are not alone!!

By the way, I couldn't resist going down to Audi and take a picture of my car. Can the please hurry up and give it to me!?!?!

Hi FreddieS3

Nice Car ;-)

I suspect a remap will cause you no problems at all.

However, if it was my car I would look for a remap which can be switched on and off because when you encounter conditions which may require extra fuel you can switch back to the factory map just incase. The sub zero morning, the mountain trip, the very hot summers day, etc.

Audi has sized the injectors in your car to cater for all extreme conditions, and they will be able to provide sufficient fuel, think of injectors as hose pipes, you want more fuel you need a bigger hose pipe. If the map plus all the modifying conditions (temp, altitude, engine temp, boost, fuel grade etc) exceeds the injectors capacity then the engine will run lean, generate extreme heat and damage will occur very quickly (within a couple of miles). I can’t see why Audi would fit oversized injectors in any engine because this increases the cost of production.

The only way I would be convinced that a tuner has done their home work is seeing them testing S3’s in the artic conditions, or in climate chambers, like you see manufactures doing.

I will remap my car, but only with the option to revert back and forth from the factory map.

Hope this helps explain my comments

Chris.

HeliChris said:
Hi FreddieS3

Nice Car ;-)

I suspect a remap will cause you no problems at all.

However, if it was my car I would look for a remap which can be switched on and off because when you encounter conditions which may require extra fuel you can switch back to the factory map just incase. The sub zero morning, the mountain trip, the very hot summers day, etc.

I will remap my car, but only with the option to revert back and forth from the factory map.

Hope this helps explain my comments

Chris.

Totaly agree with you! Thats why I always have choosen the PPC option. Check out http://www.bsrab.se (click english flag unless you know swedish) and http://www.bsrab.se/movies/ppc/

HeliChris said:
The point is I am sure most users of a remap with never have any problems, unless they take the cars to extremes, but how do you know where the extremes are? [FONT=&quot]So is that trip to the Scottish highlands, on a dodgy supermarket fill up likely to do damage?
[/FONT]
Chris.

Well the highlands in Scotland are definately not high enough for the altitude to be a problem and when I say poor fuel I mean the stuff you get in south america etc not some stale supermarket crap!

FreddieS3 said:
I get my S3 sometime this week (it have arrived to my dealer) and I have already booked a remap at the end of this month. Why the hell would remap be a problem, have done it with every car I ever had. So thoose of you that loves cars, improve them and take care of them, you are not alone!!

By the way, I couldn't resist going down to Audi and take a picture of my car. Can the please hurry up and give it to me!?!?!

Very,Very nice looking motor Freddie!

marriedblonde said:
Well the highlands in Scotland are definately not high enough for the altitude to be a problem and when I say poor fuel I mean the stuff you get in south america etc not some stale supermarket crap!

South America would have a different model spec, so all bets would be off, and I know that in the UK we would prob never get to the extremes. The problem is not knowing what the extremes are until you melt something. I would not want to be the first to find the extremes.

Chris

PS I love the colour :)

Who do you have your S3 booked in with for tuning.

I have had mine for 4 weeks now and could be interested, that link only seems to show the old S3, AMD have promised 306 BHP by end of Feb but I would want the bugs ironed out of it for while too.

marriedblonde said:
Very,Very nice looking motor Freddie!

Thank you, so frustrating when u know it has arrived but not delivered to me! They said the didn´t know if they had time to deliver this week and that I should count with 10 days :banghead:

HeliChris said:
South America would have a different model spec, so all bets would be off, and I know that in the UK we would prob never get to the extremes. The problem is not knowing what the extremes are until you melt something. I would not want to be the first to find the extremes.

Chris

PS I love the colour :)

Really? because you could get the old style a3 1.8T out there when I worked there.

Ok south America's a bit extreme but what about parts of Europe etc.

A4CAB said:
Who do you have your S3 booked in with for tuning.

I have had mine for 4 weeks now and could be interested, that link only seems to show the old S3, AMD have promised 206 BHP by end of Feb but I would want the bugs ironed out of it for while too.

My car is the guinnea pig so they give me remap and exhaust for free, I save a lot of money that way and I will not have any further obligations to them. It could take them from 2 days to a week but in the end its worth it, I save about £1000-£1500.

BSR, is the biggest tuning company here in Sweden and I have used them two times before with no problems what so ever. Called them a couple of weeks ago and asked them if they were interested in my new car. They develope there own software and do not use Germen software that are common here i Sweden.

I love the PPC solution so you can switch from original to remap in a flash.

Excellent let us know how you get on, obvioulsy I meant 306 BHP tuning so edited my post :)

A4C

marriedblonde said:
Really? because you could get the old style a3 1.8T out there when I worked there.

Ok south America's a bit extreme but what about parts of Europe etc.
Not sure if there is a cold climate version of the A3 for parts of Europe. The Swedes will know that one :think:. The type of market specific changes are extra rads, heater etc.

HeliChris said:
Not sure if there is a cold climate version of the A3 for parts of Europe. The Swedes will know that one :think:. The type of market specific changes are extra rads, heater etc.

I know there are different versions of the modells depending where in the world the final destination are, but not engine wise. Most manufactures who sell to Sweden adds a "nordic-package", no extra charge. I mean we take for granted that the heater will work satisfing in -30 degrees and the air condition will cool in +30 degrees. I know some manufactures adds double heaters. For example, a swede would never buy a brand new car without heated seats.

Scandinavia has a very vary climat, where I live (in southern sweden) we climat simular to the UK but in the northern Sweden its freezing cold with alot of snow right now and a much longer winter.

i dont plan of going anywhere extreme in it, i have never had any trouble with a remapped car yet, at the end of the day, i can have it taken back to standard if needs be, its just a remap.

K