'The' engine oil question again....

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I have done a search on this subject but everyone seems to come up with different opinions so i am hoping someone might know the answer to this question:

what engine oil does the 2TFSI engine take?

i plan to do an oil change every 5k miles inbetween the service intervals so i could do with knowing what engine oil i need for the engine.

I have read that Mobil 1 is too thin but some people say that it is used by Audi Dealers?!

I am confussed!

why do people do this? - it is absolutely and completely unecessary - manufacturers spend millions developing these engines and i'm sure they know what they need to make them reliable - if they say they need an oil change every 2 years 20k then that is all they need. By changing the oil more frequently you are not going to gain anything, just lose money. If it were to extend the life of the engine (which i doubt it) you wouldn't get that benefit anyway unless you were going to keep the car for the rest of your life which im sure you won't! (or perhaps you will guess i don't know that!)

At the risk of stating the obvious, why don't you consult the manual?

steve184 said:
why do people do this? - it is absolutely and completely unecessary - manufacturers spend millions developing these engines and i'm sure they know what they need to make them reliable - if they say they need an oil change every 2 years 20k then that is all they need. By changing the oil more frequently you are not going to gain anything, just lose money. If it were to extend the life of the engine (which i doubt it) you wouldn't get that benefit anyway unless you were going to keep the car for the rest of your life which im sure you won't! (or perhaps you will guess i don't know that!)

i don't want to have another arguement about this, all i am trying to find out if what oil people use.

Any oil which meets the VW504.00 oil specification.

Castrol Edge 5w-30 meets this requirement and is also suitable for long interval AVS servicing.

RobinA3 said:
I have done a search on this subject but everyone seems to come up with different opinions so i am hoping someone might know the answer to this question:

what engine oil does the 2TFSI engine take?

i plan to do an oil change every 5k miles inbetween the service intervals so i could do with knowing what engine oil i need for the engine.

I have read that Mobil 1 is too thin but some people say that it is used by Audi Dealers?!

I am confussed!

can I ask what the reasoning behing changing the oil every 5k is?

klauster said:
can I ask what the reasoning behing changing the oil every 5k is?

It's personal preference at the end of the day. I believe that changing the oil more regularly increases the life of the engine, people say that oil has advanced alot and i know it has, it is more capable to keeping its lubrication properties for longer and will last much longer than older oils.

Engine oil gets contaminated by blowby gases, metal particles etc which will decrease its wear resistance properties the longer it is used in the engine.

I dont really care what other people say when they say that its doesn't need to be done, if people think that it doesn't need to be done then fine, i will do mine every 5k miles because i believe it will increase the life of the engine and also decrease engine internal components wear.

Also with a turbo charged engine the oil is also used to cool and lubricate the turbo shaft and bearings which is another reason why i am doing more regular engine oil changes.

In theory you could be invalidating your warranty because you are not having your car maintained 'in accordance with the manufacturers instructions'

As modern oils are so much more advanced that they used to be you are basically pouring money down the drain and not being very environmentally friendly. I assume you will be doing this yourself and also having the car serviced based on the mileage and not the AVS. The sensors used for AVS will never be able to tell you when the car needs servicing as it's based on the condition of the oil. Will you still be getting a dealer to carry out the normal servicing as you may need to be able prove this has been done at the required mileage should there be any warranty claim.

Changing the oil at 5k was the sort of thing that was required by air-cooled (oil-cooled?) VW beetles not modern cars.

RobinA3 said:
ah ha just found this website which might interest some of you

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

:)

Interesting read and its up to you if you change your oil at 5k but it is a waste of money. My old 83 Audi 100 covered 263k miles the mineral oil being changed at every 6k miles. Oil and engine technology have moved on a lot since then. Our A3 is up for its first oil change at about 10k miles on the AVS which would be about right for the journeys it does.

well all i can say is - whoever ends up with your car when its 15 years old with 200K on it is getting a bargain because they are the only person who is going to get any benefit from this whatsoever (a benefit which is minimal may i add cos if it were serviced just as audi say i'm sure it will last this long anyway!)

Good point h5djr - i didn't think of it from the terms of environmental issues in diposing old toxic oil. It's gotta go somewhere when it comes out your engine.

I also believe as with anything, built in tolerances come into play here as all manufacturers have to build engines nowadays which maintain their reliability even when you don't service them quite as often as you should - i would imagine if you serviced changed the oil every 3 years and 30k it probably still wouldn't do it all that much harm (although i wouldn't suggest anyone does this!) - meaning the oil change interval audi insist on is more frequently than it 'actually' needs to be.

I had a nova once (sorry!) and the engine expired on that after only 41k from new - the garage which rebuilt it said all the inside was just full of thick sludge and he suspected it had never had an oil change from new! (it was 6 years old at that point!

My car effectively gets new oil all the time,seeing as it burns so much of the ****** stuff...