A After market Tow Bar on my A3 3.2 ? can it be done ?

S_Line

Reaction score
I was always informed that a aftermarket Tow bar cannot be fitted to my Audi A3 ?

Is this right ?

Has anyone had a aftermarket tow bar installed ?

I have a A3 3.2 S-Line DSG

would love a tow bar to pull a trailer or caravan ;)

is it possible with out buying a new back bumper ?

regards

Brian

Brian,
I've just fitted a Bossal towbar (swan neck) with no problems at all,although you do have to cut the bumper a small amount.
The only other thing is to purchase a dedicated wiring kit because of the CAN-BUS electrical system used in the A3.

Regards,
Scott.

This guy has come up with something. He is here in the US and I do not know if it would be work for the 3.2Q. It is worth a look.

It can be done to the 3.2Q no problem although if its a Quattro model modifications need to be made to the Quattro system so its not cheap.

Had a towbar fitted to my (sorry non quattro) Sportback a couple of years ago - took about 3 hours, inc electrics, they just removed the bumper internals and fitted a new stronger unit which incorporated the attachments. The exterior plastic bumper section was unchanged as far as I could see. Cost about £200. And don't fall for the dealers who tell you its a risk not using an Audi towbar - they are all made to the same spec in terms of strength and towing limit - mine towed a pair of racebikes at 90mph across belgium and germany on numerous occasions with no problems at all.

http://www.ntta.co.uk/buyers_guide/guide_results.aspx?Lookfor=5

mmm at least it can be done though :)

Not sure about the changes to the Quatro system ? Unless its mechanical ?