Change servotronic values?

Evotek

Reaction score
Hello all.

New to this forum and have my new and first Audi on the way.
One thing that bothered me when i test drove the Sportback was the light steering and i also test drove the Golf GTI and the steering was more to my liking in that car.

Would it be possible to change the values for the servotronic to the values of the GTI and if so how?

Do someone know the servotronic values of the A3 sportback and the Golf GTI?

Regards from Sweden:cold:

Do you mean using the VAG-COM software to recode the amount of steering assistance? It might be possible; as you say, the steering in both the A3 8P and GTI are electrically-assisted. However, in terms of steering feel, the differences will be mechanical, and it is widely acknowledged that the GTI has better steering in this respect than the Sportback. Just don't confuse steering feel and assistance!

It´s the lightness in steering when the car is stationary that i dislike.
I don´t mind the feel when it´s on the move so probably it´s just a matter of how much assistance there is on the A3 versus the GTI.

This could be changed with Vag.Com,right?:readit:

It is definitely possible, Dandle has done it on his.

I sure I read somewhere that this can't be done on the 2007 model year cars. Anyone??

I have changed the value on my steering from 5 or 6 can't remember which down to 3 and the steering is a whole lot nicer. Giving the steering much more feel both when driving and when stationary. Why its set so high I dont know but IMO it should be 3 from the factory for a sporty car.

Thank´s Dandle!
That sounds what i´m after.:thumbsup:
So how did you go about it then,did it yourself or left it to the stealers?

i might have this done as well, anyone near to leeds with vag.com and the confidence to do it.... :)

im sure i can sort out a payment in beer or cash

I've love a VAG-COM to generally muck about with things like this (i.e. try different settings rather than try to convince the dealer to change it repeatedly) but I just can't justify hundreds of pounds for it :(

PJLarge said:
Correct - doesn't work on mine and that was manufactured mid 2006.

Are you sure you are using the USB-CAN-COM version and not an erlier version that doesnt work fully on Can enabled cars? I would think it very strange if model year 2007 cars have a totally different electrical system.

I have a genuine Ross-Tech HEX-USB+CAN interface so it's not the cable that's at fault. It's not that Audi have changed the electrical system, rather they have changed a certain controller that sits on the CAN bus. The new controller that they are using for the servotronic does not (at this time) allow you to change the steering weight. This may change as Ross-Tech investigate the controller - time will tell.

Is there a complete list anywhere of all the things which can be modified via the VAG-COM on the latest A3? I'd like to know exactly what I'd be able to do with one should I decide to take the plunge.

Also, would the same cable work on a Mk5 Golf?

PJLarge said:
I have a genuine Ross-Tech HEX-USB+CAN interface so it's not the cable that's at fault. It's not that Audi have changed the electrical system, rather they have changed a certain controller that sits on the CAN bus. The new controller that they are using for the servotronic does not (at this time) allow you to change the steering weight. This may change as Ross-Tech investigate the controller - time will tell.

Ok.

Vertigo so far the two site I use for VAG-COM are here and here.

Just though I would bring this thread back.........

I have just adjusted the servotronic setting on my car to 3 instead of 5, and boy has it made a change! Before I thought the car felt a bit twitchy and light.

Changed it to 3 and now it feels a lot more grounded and gives you a lot more confidance to throw it into the corners!

Worth doing!

terrymcg said:
Just though I would bring this thread back.........

I have just adjusted the servotronic setting on my car to 3 instead of 5, and boy has it made a change! Before I thought the car felt a bit twitchy and light.

Changed it to 3 and now it feels a lot more grounded and gives you a lot more confidance to throw it into the corners!

Worth doing!

Can i ask did you do this yourself or get Audi to do it?

"Modify Steering Boost Setting: Note: This does not work on 2007 models. These instructions will be updated once somebody figures it out."

Seems like i have a problem then with my 2007 on the way....:uhm:

So reducing the setting just adjust the 'slow speed' setting? IE at speed it doesn't get even heavier???

Jamie,

AFAIK the car just adjusts the setting to make the steering heavier the faster you go anyway, so by making the setting lower it makes it heavier through out the whole range of speed.

I could be wrong though!

Terry

It just gives the steering less boost throughout the speed range and gives the steering the feel it should have had from the start.

Just to confirm - what is the recommended setting from those who have tried and tested it? 3?

I've been using setting 2 for the last 2 months,and the steering weights up
just right going into roundabouts and through the twisty B roads.:happy:

I can only comment on setting 3 I tried 2 for a little bit but it was very heavy when stationary. So 3 was the best setting for me and Mrs dandle driving it.