1.8TFSI Engine...

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure that it's been posted before - but a) I'm lazy and b) I'm lazy

I was having a scout on the configurator and noticed that there is a 1.8TFSI option for the A3 now... Anyone tried one?

Also - the A4 S-Line Special Edition comes with a 220hp 2.0TFSI... which is also available in the TT... Now that would make a nice A3 motor.

As I mentioned on TSN the other day, I fail to see the point in the 1.8T engine.

The TDI 170 has slightly more power, shedloads more torque, is more economical and emits less CO2. If you prefer petrol then the 2.0T is more powerful yet only 1-2mpg less economical. It also only emits 12g/km more CO2.

Basically the 1.8T seems to be targetted at those who can't stand diesel but can't quite stretch to the 2.0T. Its only saving grace seems to be that it's replacing the (frankly awful) 2.0FSI.

Re your other point in the UK the TT has the same 200ps 2.0T as the A3 only the A4 has the 220ps engine, for now.......

On the A4 wasn't the 220PS just reserved for the DTM initially?

1.8 in ireland = lower vrt for car sale / import and motor tax, audi sell more of the b7 1.8t a4 in ireland than the 2.0t

staz1000 said:
On the A4 wasn't the 220PS just reserved for the DTM initially?

Correct, but then Audi made a special edition S-line A4 with the same output.

And now VW have a 230 output in the 30th edition GTI, i wonder if they keep the same for all GTI's again. As they did with the 25th edition.

Is the special edition A4 to boost sales before it is replaced this year? Or am I completley wrong and the A4's not being replaced this year?

J.

It's probably just to boost sales! We're all power hungry :rockwoot:

tibbs said:
1.8 in ireland = lower vrt for car sale / import and motor tax, audi sell more of the b7 1.8t a4 in ireland than the 2.0t

Fair comment but,as with the 1.4tfsi,why bother making it available in the UK ??

Both engines are utterly and completely pointless in the UK.

Haven't VW just been harping on about how they have to many engine sizes and body packages to make real profits? And now Audi are heading down the same slope.
Even the TT is going to end up with about 6 different engines!

staz1000 said:
Haven't VW just been harping on about how they have to many engine sizes and body packages to make real profits? And now Audi are heading down the same slope.
Even the TT is going to end up with about 6 different engines!

VW did do a press release last year stating they were slashing the model options on the Polo for one.
Can't remember when they said they were going to implement it though.
Don't think they were actually dumping any engines,as such.
Just reducing choice of models.

I must admit,I think too much choice is a bad thing.
I prefer manufacturers that have set model line-ups,with limited choices for options after that.

This 'bespoke' thing might appeal to some,but not me.
It must be a nightmare looking for used A3,for example.
You'll find one with this,but not that,that,but not this etc.etc.etc.
Probably very difficult to find one with the exact spec you want.

If they came in several trim levels,with only a few choices after that,it would make things much simpler.

Works for other car manufacturers.

a4 is being replaced next year i think, this year the new A5 will be out in the 4th quarter, now that looks nice

I can see the attraction of the 1.8TFSI.

The 2.0T is a great engine, but I rarely, if ever, make use of its full performance potential. If the 1.8T is as good in terms of smoothness, refinement and low-end torque, I would be happy to drop down to 160bhp, and benefit from the better mpg, lower insurance group, and £1300 lower purchase price.

Comparing it with the TDI is irrelevant, as many people are not prepared to put up with the poor refinement it offers.

I've always liked the Henry Ford principle. I would just make one good car with all the extras (well not all!) and then you can sell it cheaper!

Although that wouldn't really work in todays consumer market would it? People like to be different. Look at mini for example.

staz1000 said:
Look all mini for example.

That's a good example.
I briefly looked at a used Mini for the wife,but getting an 'unspoiled' or standard example was nigh on impossible.
They all had something that we simply didn't want.
You'd get one in the right colour and engine spec,only to find that the owner had fitted some horrible interior options or horrible wheels etc.etc.etc.
We gave up and bought something else.
The more choice you give people,the more chance there is of them completely cocking things up and making their car a niche motor.

"hello I'm phoining about the A3 SE"
"ah yes,I went for a special colour,with yellow leather,RDSNEPAPWAN-K,blue LED interior lighting and 64 spoke wheels"
"so it's not really an SE any more then"
".......no"

mfspen said:
If the 1.8T is as good in low-end torque,.

That's hardly going to happen,is it.
When do smaller engines ever equal the low-end torque of bigger engines ?
They can't,not without 'help'.
Which is why the 1.4tfsi needs a supercharger as well as a turbo.

bowfer said:
That's hardly going to happen,is it.
When do smaller engines ever equal the low-end torque of bigger engines ?
They do in this case, apparently.

Compare the relative torque curves for yourself. The 2.0T gives 280Nm flat down to 2000rpm, the 1.8T gives 250Nm flat down to 1500rpm. The low end torque is the same !

Whether it matches the 2.0T for refinement remains to be seen.

You would think that it´s just a downscaled 2,0 TFSI but it´s not.
It have some new features to it and very low compression so it would be a fair chance that it can tolerate higher turbo boost(bar).:thumbsup:
Here in Sweden the 1,8 TFSI startprice is 17000GBP and the 2,0 TFSI starts at about 20000GBP so 3000GBP difference buys alot of extras.

Here´s a good link to read up on:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2060928.006/country/gcf/audi/new-audi-1.8-tfsi-engine-revealed

Later....