A3 Versus A4?

Spin140

Reaction score
Thinking of changing the A3 for an A4 Avant S-Line, I know it will be painful financially as my car is only 6 months old but since the birth of our child I could do with the extra practicality.

I am looking at a 2.0tdi (140) in black (of course) with 17k on the clock @ 12 months old.

My question, anyone owned both cars and if so from a handling prespective is there a great difference ?

I am extremely happy with the A3 and its handling and would hate to think I could no longer have fun when in the car on my own, this will be a hard decision but needs must.....

The a3 is spaceous is enough in the back - if you do not have a 5 door why not get one of them?

5door s-line with vortex kit looks really well i think

Hi Spin140

I have had both.

A 54 plate 2.0tdi S-Line Avant (new shape -18" wheels, leather armrest etc.) and currently an A3. The A4 was a company car that went back when I left and my new company does not give company cars but gives an allowance, so, I had to buy a trusty steed, I bought the 04 A3 2.0 tdi sport, leather, armrest etc.

I have also had a 52 plate A4 1.9tdi (130ps) Sport Avant before the 54 A4.

I can honestly say I love the A3 and its great for driving through cities because of its size, but I think both the A4's handled better, they were quieter and had a better ride, so no contest. I have been considering recently taking a hit on my A3 and getting an A4 again. That’s how convinced I am. I AM NOT saying the A3 is bad, far from it, but all things considered and money not being an issue the A4 is better and the 54 better than the 52.

Hope this helps

DK

Currently have an S3 though recently had an 06 2.0tdi S-line avant as curtosey car. I thought it was good, seemed to handle pretty well though it did run out of steam fairly quickly.

It looks the part with S-line kit and the 18's. Unfotunately it was a bit spartan inside so can't coment there.

The missus did like the A4 as is quieter and smoother over our lumpy roads.

I reckon it would be a good choice.

I had both as courtesy cars, the A4 was a 2.0 TDI and was soooo much more refined than the FSI A3..it was an avant but didnt feel any bigger than driving the sportback... If it were me I would get the A4.

AM seriously considering the same change but in about 12 months time if you go for it let me know how you get in, although I do have a Sportback now.

Did a deal for a mate on a SE A4 avant earlier in the year he's delighted with it, but I'd prefer the S line myself !

I was and still thinking about getting rid of my A3 for the A4.
Currently have the A3 SB s-line model and would swap for a A4 s-line.

When I took a closer look the inside of the A4 was the same as my A3. Its just a few inches wider. No extra cabin space at all.

The Boot is twice the size of the SB but the opening is smaller.

Audi want 1.5K to swap my TDI for a A4 TDI same spec and age.

I am really in two minds as its only really a bigger boot from what I can tell for an extra 1.5K

Thanks Guys, think i'm going to take the deal if all is well after my lengthy test drive planned for later today.

My compromise in my switch is the leather I have in the A3, but otherwise the A4 Avant S-line is similarly specced, I did consider going for the sportback but if I'm changing mainly due to 'space/practicality' it makes more sense to go for the larger car. The car I am going for is 5 months older than mine with just 13k on the clock - cost to change is now £2,000 - it started at £3,000, also having 2 new front tyres as they are legal but obviously worn and very expensive (Michelin Pilot Sports 235 x 18 x 40). I'm happy with the deal especially since contacting Superchips who have confirmed my Bluefin can be transferred for £185.

Will let you know how I get on, if I go ahead deal will take a couple of weeks due to private reg.

Cheers all :)

Out of interest,did you look at an X-type estate ?
Well smart.
Even more refined than the A4 too,which is already much more refined than the A3.
Then again,the A3 is pretty unrefined.
I had opportunity to take the wife's new Clio to an away game over the xmas period,full of blokes that would normally go in the A3.
They all agreed her lowly Clio is quieter than my A3 too.

bowfer said:
Out of interest,did you look at an X-type estate ?
Well smart.
Even more refined than the A4 too,which is already much more refined than the A3.
Then again,the A3 is pretty unrefined.
I had opportunity to take the wife's new Clio to an away game over the xmas period,full of blokes that would normally go in the A3.
They all agreed her lowly Clio is quieter than my A3 too.

Funny you should say that, I looked at an X-type 2.2D Premium Sport (158bhp) and I loved it, really quiet in comparison and handled well on its ford underpinnings, it was packed with kit including lthr, xenons & sat nav with carbon trim as opposed to nasty wood, price wise you can basically get one of these fully loaded, less than a year old for under £20k (30K new!) - But............the wife didnt like it and said it was too middle aged !!! Shame as I think they look pretty cool but I know who wears the trousers - hence I'm having the A4 as she approves of those :)

My wife's the same,but I just ignore her !
I don't think the x-type is 'old man' at all,if you get the right trim that is.
In boring colours with boring wheels,yes.
In nice colours,with nice wheels,it's a lovely looking motor.
I love the carbon trim you speak of too.
Very favourable CO2 ratings with the 2.0D model too.
2.2D kicks it up a notch,unfortunately.
I'd probably just go for the 2.0D and chip it,although superchips/bluefin don't do the Ford/Jag 2.0D at the moment.
Know anyone who does ????

Spin140 said:
...My question, anyone owned both cars and if so from a handling prespective is there a great difference ?

I am extremely happy with the A3 and its handling and would hate to think I could no longer have fun when in the car on my own, this will be a hard decision but needs must.....
I've owned 2 A4s previously, albeit both B6 models. One was a 1.8T Sport and the other a 2.4 V6 Sport (both petrol).

The sport suspension on the B6 A4s was pretty hard, about the same as that on my S-Line A3 I would say. They both handled very well, little different from my A3 really. The 1.8T was noisier than my A3 2.0T when pushed, whereas the 2.4 6-pot was as refined as the 2.0T.

I also briefly owned a 2.0TDI A3, and that was much, much noisier than any of them, so I think you would notice a much bigger difference between A3 and A4 if you want a diesel. With petrol, the differences are much smaller (ignoring the hopeless 2.0FSI normally aspirated engine).

Well I've been and done it
I PX my A3 sportback for a A4 s-line today

I brought the A3 SB s-line for £20k and px for £19. Brought the A4 for 20K
Its done 12K miles and is a TDI 140 S-LINE in silver.

I felt the drive smoother than the A3/
Is the steering harder on the A4? The A4 i drove was really hard compared to the A3

That sounds like a good deal Beerglass, how old is the A4 you bought ?

I had a long test drive (unaccompanied) in an A4 S-line yesterday and did notice the steering was heavier but in a good way. You are definetly aware that you are driving a bigger car but my overall impression was very good, a little more understeer out of fast islands but still great fun to be had. The A4 seemed a little softer over poor surfaces than my A3 but also much, much quieter.

My preference is still with the A3 from a handling perspective but if you need the extra space and refinement the A4 S-line is a great car, I didn't do the deal on the car I drove purely because I missed the leather I have in mine but am still considering one if I find the right car/deal.

I am tempted to wait for my dealers demo to come up in 3 months time as he has promised a good deal and it is the right car for me spec wise, a 170 Quattro but I had promised myself (and the wife) I wouldn't part with more than £3k to change, I've said that before though LOL :)

Spin140 said:
That sounds like a good deal Beerglass, how old is the A4 you bought ?

QUOTE]

The car is an 2006 . Reg in April 2006

Spin140, I was considering exactly the same car to change from our Sportback just before our son was born. Went along to my local dealer to tyrekick an Avant but didn't drive it; I was more interested in boot space as a priority.

But I didn't go for it; as you said, the financial penalty is too painful, but more than that we don't really need the extra space. The Sportback boot just about swallows his pram and Moses basket okay (I have to remove the front wheels first), and there's still lots of room between to store his other bits and pieces. We use the backseat to carry our own bags and things too.

My son is four months old today and we've coped just fine without the extra space! If you've got a three-door A3 though, I could understand the need to change, if only for better access, and the Sportback has a larger boot as well so not a great comparison.

I just px my sportback for a A4.
Yes your right the sportback is just ok with a child, but its when you want to shopping with the pram and you brought stuff and cant fit it all in.
Hasnt happened much but over xmas we came away from family members homes with tons of stuff and it was little tight.

Remember how quickly kids grow up.
The pram/buggy will only be in the boot for a few months.
We managed to get me,the wife,my mother,my daughter,a labrador and a pile of associated luggage into my sportback for a week on the Scottish west coast.
I doubt an A4 avant would have given us any major advantage.
Certainly no more legroom for rear seat passengers.
My daughter's (3 years old) legs still hit the back of the front seats in the A4 avant,for example.
If you're that bothered about room,try something like a Honda Accord tourer.Truly cavernous boot,with motorised tailgate open/shut too.