Baby seat problems 8(

beerglass

Reaction score
I have a SB s-line and fitted a car seat in the rear about 3 months ago.
It uses the ISO fixings.

I took it out over the weekend and noticed the seat has been pushed flat in places and the leather headrest.

Has anyone had this problem?

2 days and the seat still hasnt come out completely and the head rest looks a mess.

You need to use a seat protector like Grip-It, protects the leather and also makes the whole baby seat more secure.

AndyMac said:
You need to use a seat protector like Grip-It, protects the leather and also makes the whole baby seat more secure.

where might you get one of those from?

Its not the leather which is damaged, its the fact the seat has been pushed/squashed flat

I don't have leather but this is something I'm worried about - I haven't taken the ISOFIX base out since my son was born in September, and the seat bench and backrest must be well squashed by now! :rolleyes:

Only thing I don't understand about the original post is the damage to the headrest. How does you seat affect this? Ours doesn't fit anywhere near it.

The back of the seat rests and is pushing hard onto the headrest

I use an atlas between the base and back rest just above the isofix hooks, works for me and stops the indentations left behind by the BSeat!!

I'd assume the seat would eventually regain its shape but would still opt for prevention.

Mine also nowhere near the head rest as I make sure the front seat is far enough forward, leg room not an issue as I put ours behind the wife !!

You take the headrest out.
The Grip-It mats spread the load, so they stop the leather getting stretched at the main pressure points. It's the leather stretching that gives the illusion the stuffing has been squashed out of shape.

Thanks Andy

I have taken the seat out and swapped it onto the other side.
The seat itself has come out, the headrest is alittle better as well

beerglass said:
found this

http://shop.babyworld.co.uk/DisplayDetail.aspx?prodid=965&secid=69

But cant see how this would stop the pressure of the seat from pushing into the rear car seat

This is what I have to try to protect the leather seats. Really helps to reduce the slipping about too as even with isofix, there is a slight movement. Cut outs in the mat to allow easy fitting of isofix clips.

I decided not to go isofix and to be honest im pleased i did.

The Audi has iso fix and also my Nissan has Isofix, but after speaking to sales staff at a leading baby place, they fitted another make into the audi, im very impressed with the seat, my little one year old is held very tight using the seat belt.

I really did look into the isofix seats, but the Nissan needed a Rear Brace support which involves folding down the rear seat every time it needed to be installed.

I thought isofix was suposed to be Quick and easy, but it isn't.

Has anyone else experiences ?

Some Isofix prepared cars do need this other top brace, such as my friend's Mazda RX8 and I have no idea how or if my seat base would fit. However, in the A3 it really is simple, almost a click and go with the Maxi Cosi. The Maxi Cosi seat base for Isofix can also be used with seatbelts if used in another car without the Isofix prep which improves its versatility.

RobB said:
Some Isofix prepared cars do need this other top brace, such as my friend's Mazda RX8 and I have no idea how or if my seat base would fit. However, in the A3 it really is simple, almost a click and go with the Maxi Cosi. The Maxi Cosi seat base for Isofix can also be used with seatbelts if used in another car without the Isofix prep which improves its versatility.
Agree with that. To be honest, I can't possibly see how using a seatbelt would be easier over ISOFIX, let alone safer. Worst case scenario: it's pouring with rain and the baby is screaming. With ISOFIX you still only have to drop the seat on to the base and away you go - no messing around with belts and worrying whether or not the base is secured.

Ive got a 'grip it' on my leather seats and it works a treat.

As for indentations on your leather the best thing to use is a hairdryer on it and heat it up until the indent pops out.

benw123 said:
Agree with that. To be honest, I can't possibly see how using a seatbelt would be easier over ISOFIX, let alone safer. Worst case scenario: it's pouring with rain and the baby is screaming. With ISOFIX you still only have to drop the seat on to the base and away you go - no messing around with belts and worrying whether or not the base is secured.

Do you remove the baby seat each time you take your child in/out of the car?

marriedblonde said:
Do you remove the baby seat each time you take your child in/out of the car?
Our Maxi Cosi seat stays in the car at all times, even when empty (not a lot of free space in our house!). It's easier to dress the little guy indoors, strap him in and settle him while me or my missus loads up the car. Then when we're ready to go, you just drop the seat in, click (and check for the green display on the Maxi Cosi) and away we go.

But often when returning home we just lift the boy straight out of the seat, only because it saves taking the seat back out to the car later on.

You?

S_Line said:
I thought isofix was suposed to be Quick and easy, but it isn't.

I`ve no complaints with ISOFIX, I couldn`t be bothered to chuff about with seatbelts every time I need to get the seat in and out.

I use a Neat Seat protector which I got from Mothercare. The seat is undamaged underneath (I checked after the thread appeared).

The MaxiCosi ISOFIX system is easy to use.

benw123 said:
Our Maxi Cosi seat stays in the car at all times, even when empty (not a lot of free space in our house!). It's easier to dress the little guy indoors, strap him in and settle him while me or my missus loads up the car. Then when we're ready to go, you just drop the seat in, click (and check for the green display on the Maxi Cosi) and away we go.

But often when returning home we just lift the boy straight out of the seat, only because it saves taking the seat back out to the car later on.

You?

The car seats stays put in Claires car, seems too much off a faff to remove it all the time. Had I thought about it a bit more before shelling out a small fortune in Mamas and Papas I wouldn't have bothered with their travel system... We just get him ready in the house and then sling in the seat.

It's not going to be very long before he has grown out of his car seat although I am assuming he is going to stop piling on the pounds at his current rate at some point.

Planning on going for Isofix next time assuming that they fit Claires car without too much bother. Is it worth investing in 2 seat bases for both cars or are they really that quick and easy that it wouldn;t be too much of a fag to remove the base from car to car. Although I'm not planning on having sam in my car unless I really need to...

J.

We brought a travel system and yes my son is now out grown it. I wouldnt buy another.
MB, look at www.kiddiecare.co.uk for car seats. Loads cheaper and great service.

We looked at them in john lewis and then brought from that web site.
The money we saved almost paid for the second seat.

We brought 2 seats. An ISOfix and normal seat belt type for the second car because its a V reg and doesnt have ISOfix.

The 2 seats our the same apart from the fittings. But the difference is weight is amazing. The ISOfix is so much lighter.
I wouldnt want to keep pulling the standard seat belt seat out, but the ISOfix is a joy to use.

Its now is the A4 and works just as well. The difference in safety levels is amazing as well. The ISOfix is solid and you really cant move it. Fits in seconds

marriedblonde said:
Is it worth investing in 2 seat bases for both cars or are they really that quick and easy that it wouldn;t be too much of a fag to remove the base from car to car. Although I'm not planning on having sam in my car unless I really need to...

J.

I have one seat but 2 bases - one is Isofix for my A3, the other is a seatbelt only base for my wife's 106. We bought two purely as we use both cars regularly so messing about each time we swap cars to fit the seatbelt base seemed too much hassle especially when you have a slightly demanding baby wanting your attention. If we only rarely used one of the cars for carrying baby, I would have gone for 1 base only (the Isofix, seatbelt combined version) and we would swap it over, but it was only £60 and for the time and stress saving over a year to 15 months, it seemed worth it.

LOL...aren't all babies demanding!

I'm kinda thinking for the few times that I will need to carry Sam in my car having the one base will be sufficient.

J.

I think the problem is when the baby reaches a certain age or weight you have to put them in a junior car seat, and I have a feeling that there are very few - if any - junior seats which work with ISOFIX bases. I would guess this is probably because these seats will be front facing. Unless anyone knows different?