Any Thoughts Guys?

PAT19799

P4T MR
Reaction score
Just took my 05 2.0 tdi in to audi@crawley for an intermittent non-start fault where she just turns over for roughly 15-20 seconds before starting to fire. It really only happens once in a blue moon but i thought i should still get it checked out. (Plus i was owed a full valet because the one they apparently gave the car when i first picked it up was terrible)

Anyway, they want to replace the keys, saying they are not transmitting a strong enough signal to the immobiliser and there for the immob is taking its time to let the car start!?!

When i collected my car, a mechanic/technician brought the car round to me and mentioned that he had just heard creaking from the front end whilst manoevering out of a parking space (low speed obviously) and suspected the steering rack may need replacing too! He checked with a colleague and they both agreed it will need replacing next week.

Although the car is still under warranty till mid 2008, I was still shocked to hear such a major part of the car was starting to fail at only 16k!

Has anyone had any similair problems with their diesel starting, or steering racks going? Im just hoping since ive only had the car since sept this year, that i havn't bought a 'problem' car! :shrug:

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read my post

Thanks, any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated

Happy New Year

Pat this is a common problem on the A3 and many many people have had theirs replaced under warranty.

My wife had a similar problem with her Polo with the key signal not being strong enough to stop the imobliser from cutting in, but in her case it was as she was driving along. All of a sudden the engine would cut out for a few seconds and then be OK again. Since the keys and the transponder have been changed she's has had now further problems.

Audi seem to have had some problems with the steering racks on A3 so yours will not be an isolated case - probably why the technician heard the noise and new straight away what the problem was. Cars are very complex machines and the chance of getting no problems at all is quite limited. The main thing is that if problems do occur they are fixed properly and efficiently by the dealer under warranty.

h5djr said:
Cars are very complex machines and the chance of getting no problems at all is quite limited. The main thing is that if problems do occur they are fixed properly and efficiently by the dealer under warranty.
Yep agree with this, unfortunately I have had to use my warranty several times on my last 3 Audi's. However they always get it sorted and fast, whilst keeping me mobile so I cannot complain as it never costs me a penny. Infact when I bought my TT from brighton Audi they even topped it up with fuel after the long drive back to me - twice!

I've had two clutches , one was a full replacement flywheel, clutch and master cylinder and one steering rack, car has 35k on it

Oh and I still have a creaking from the clutch, too embarrassed to bring it back again, I'm going to wait a few weeks