Monster MotorsportSky Insurance

Thread: TPMS

Neutral

Status

TPMS

I noticed tgat Vagparts.com are selling the tyre pressure monitoring switch

https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.onean...dex.shopscript

I forgot to order this option on my A3 and was wondering what else would need to be done to get tyre monitoring working?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Some coding with vagcom and the sensors that fit on the inside of the wheel rims X4 iirc...

5th Gear

Status
    It works off the ABS, so with a bit of luck it might already be in place and just the switch and VAGCOM needed
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

5th Gear

Status
    no sensors on wheels with this system. it works by calculating the circumference of the tyre via the abs sensor - as pressure drops the circumference changes ever so slightly and it alarms when it does

6th Gear

Status
    You mean it detects the circumference has reduced by comparing the revolution speed of the wheel compared to the other wheels? Clever!

Only problem with this is if all your tyres are under or over pressure by the same amount the system won't be able to tell althought this is a tad unlikely I'll grant you.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1
    You mean it detects the circumference has reduced by comparing the revolution speed of the wheel compared to the other wheels? Clever!

Only problem with this is if all your tyres are under or over pressure by the same amount the system won't be able to tell althought this is a tad unlikely I'll grant you.
    It only works by remembering the wheel speed that you set it at(for all four wheels), if pressure drops then the wheel speeds up and you get an error.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

1st Gear

Status
    Same as the golf then, I specced it as I am useless at remembering to check my tyres.. and for £45 it seemed worth it
    Gone - A3 2.0 TDI (140) Sportback Sport

Now - BMW f10 520d

Status
    Same as the MB B-Class as well although you get it for free in that
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    No way am I going to trust that. I think I'll stick to checking them myself once a week.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

6th Gear

Status
    i am guessing this is not to be used as something that replaces the need to check your tyres weekly, i think its there so that if you have a nail or something in the tyre then you won't need to wait until you next do the check to find out its there.

1st Gear

Status
    TPMS system retrofit guide albeit for a US car so may be some differences for UK models...?

http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/2006/04/...stem-tpms.html

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dandle
    It only works by remembering the wheel speed that you set it at(for all four wheels), if pressure drops then the wheel speeds up and you get an error.
    Yes but the wheel speeds up and slows down as the vehicle does so it needs some way of measuring a discrepancy in this speed after compensating for the vehicle's speed. The only ways I can see this being possible is if it measures the wheel speed relative to the other wheels or it if it has some way of knowing the vehicle's speed other than via the wheels.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1
    Yes but the wheel speeds up and slows down as the vehicle does so it needs some way of measuring a discrepancy in this speed after compensating for the vehicle's speed. The only ways I can see this being possible is if it measures the wheel speed relative to the other wheels or it if it has some way of knowing the vehicle's speed other than via the wheels.
    Yeah thats all id does, you pump your tyres up then set the system. If one wheel changes speed relative to the others then it sets of the warning. It actually works rather well. And gave me a warning with in 1/2 a mile when I changed tyre pressures on our car. Its only really to let you know if your car a developed a puncture while on a journey i guess. It was only 45 so well worth it in my book(same amount as a night in the pub).
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.