JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    6th Gear

Status

Does the new S3 have the same steering as the Standard A3's?

Anyone know if Audi have used a different steering set up on the S3?

Its just that i have noticed that the steering on my 2TFSI Quattro is so numb that i can't feel ANYTHING whatsoever through the steering wheel

Now in a S3 as its a sports car i would expect some feedback through the steering wheel.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I would imagine the steering set up is the same, although the S3 has aliminium lower wishbones and other steering/suspension components which will reduce unsprung weight and perhaps 'liven' up the steering...

I too have noticed how 'light' the steering feel of the s-line is, especially since my last car was a MKV GTI which had excellent feedback, i'm going to get my steering assist adjusted in vag-com when i get the chance, it was a popular mod over on uk-mkivs.net for the 1.6/TDI guys who wanted the GTI's 'weight' to the steering

IIRC, the GTI/R32 was set to around '3' and the 1.6 ish stuff to around 7 out of a range of 0-9, i'll try and find the thread to confirm..

1st Gear

Status
    It was also found that even the GTI's steering value in vag-com could differ from car to car, the same is true over on Vortex where some of the A3 guys had say a '5' as standard and some a '7' for the same model car, obviously the car set to '7' would have really light steering compared to the car set to '5',
    The steering on my A3 is not 'that' bad tbh, but could do with firming up a little, could explain why yours feels so numb perhaps?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA3
    Anyone know if Audi have used a different steering set up on the S3?

Its just that i have noticed that the steering on my 2TFSI Quattro is so numb that i can't feel ANYTHING whatsoever through the steering wheel

Now in a S3 as its a sports car i would expect some feedback through the steering wheel.
    Erm I hate to ruin things, but its just another A3 with more horsepower, it still weighs a lot and is predominently nose heavy FWD hatchback. A sports car it is not. Sorry

Neutral

Status
    Its supposed to load up with speed though on the Sline?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Xedos
    Erm I hate to ruin things, but its just another A3 with more horsepower, it still weighs a lot and is predominently nose heavy FWD hatchback. A sports car it is not. Sorry
    oh look who has the xmas joy inside them!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    and is predominently nose heavy FWD hatchback
    *cough cough* 4WD in the S3.....

1st Gear

Status
    Its supposed to load up with speed though on the Sline?
    It does on all the models...however the base reference rate can be adjusted in vagcom and the steering is weighted proportional to speed from that base setting...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Beddie
    It was also found that even the GTI's steering value in vag-com could differ from car to car, the same is true over on Vortex where some of the A3 guys had say a '5' as standard and some a '7' for the same model car, obviously the car set to '7' would have really light steering compared to the car set to '5',
    The steering on my A3 is not 'that' bad tbh, but could do with firming up a little, could explain why yours feels so numb perhaps?
    I notice that mine goes heavier the faster i go which is correct as i believe that the A3 has speed sensitive power steering.

I'll have to look into this steering value thing but surely changing a few values with vag-com won't make any difference because at the end of the day the amount of feedback you get from the steering depends on the steering set up, i mean my old Polo G40 had no power steering so you could feel so much just from the steering wheel.

Its amazing how much stuff you can change using vag-com.............might need to invest in it!

Neutral

Status
    Its not permanent 4wd with rear bias is it? Its transverse haldex, front wheels need to spin 1/7th of a revolution before power even shifts to the back.

I have the same car as you Robin, only I have nicer wheels.

6th Gear

Status
    I have the same car as you Robin, only I have nicer wheels.
    Do you? which ones? the BBS ones?

Me likes those!

1st Gear

Status

1st Gear

Status
    BTW Robin, whereabouts in Cheshire are you mate?
    I'm in Northwich so if your local i'll keep an eye out for you!

6th Gear

Status
    thanks fella

just read the link, sounds like i need to find someone with vag-com near me!!!

6th Gear

Status
    BTW Robin, whereabouts in Cheshire are you mate?
    I'm in Northwich so if your local i'll keep an eye out for you!
    I am VERY local to you mate

I live in Congleton, work in Crewe and my parents have a shop in Winsford..................

1st Gear

Status
    I am VERY local to you mate

I live in Congleton, work in Crewe and my parents have a shop in Winsford..................
    Fairly local then mate lol!

I'm a mobile service engineer and cover all of cheshire so i'm usually in all 3 of them places, keep an eye out for a Renault Kangoo on 2 wheels lol!

4th Gear

Status
    Its not permanent 4wd with rear bias is it? Its transverse haldex, front wheels need to spin 1/7th of a revolution before power even shifts to the back.
    No thats not how it works, It is permanent. The system requires an element of slip to be present for the haldex clutch to start sending some of the power aft(slip is not wheel spin). In normal driving due to the fact the front wheels are powered and the rear are being pulled slip will be present and the system will be slightly engaged sending some power aft(only a small amount though), as you increase the load the more it will send aft. The only time the haldex clutch pack is full disengaged is when there is no throttle input, under braking and when stationary(can't think of any other times at the moment anyway). The system actually needs 6 degrees of rotation before the haldex clutch is transferring maximum power aft not 1/7th of a wheelspin before it starts working.

The later pre-x units fitted to Volvos even pre-empt the demand and adjust the clutch pack accordingly i.e. standing starts.

On a side note I have changed the steering boost down to 3 from 5(i think it was 5 may but have been 7). Its much nicer to drive now and the steering has a nice weight to it with more feedback on what the wheels are doing. Deffinately worth doing for anyone thinking about it.
    Last edited by Dandle; 23rd December 2006 at 23:43.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

6th Gear

Status
    Fairly local then mate lol!

I'm a mobile service engineer and cover all of cheshire so i'm usually in all 3 of them places, keep an eye out for a Renault Kangoo on 2 wheels lol!
    mobile service engineer? what that do then? what do you service?

i'll keep an eye out for you!!

1st Gear

Status
    I spend all day driving around cheshire repairing, servicing and getting people out of broken lifts, escalators, travolators and anything else that goes up 'n' down....

5th Gear

Status
    hookers?
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

Neutral

Status
    thanks fella

just read the link, sounds like i need to find someone with vag-com near me!!!
    I work in Chester and have VAG-COM.

Re the steering weight mod, it doesn't work on the 2006/7 (MY 2007) cars :-(
    '07 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI in Audi Exclusive Lava Grey
    '07 Daihatsu Copen 1.3

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by d3fy
    hookers?
    Only when the wife's not looking.....
    Last edited by Beddie; 24th December 2006 at 10:39.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PJLarge
    I work in Chester and have VAG-COM.

Re the steering weight mod, it doesn't work on the 2006/7 (MY 2007) cars :-(

ah mega

would you be willing to change my steering setting for me if i popped over to chester one day?

you interested in having it done as well beddie?

1st Gear

Status
    The funny bit for me is someone trying to make a hatchback with 260+ bhp into a negative!! Some people are never happy...............

07 S3 sold and replaced with E92 335 coupe

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dandle
    No thats not how it works, It is permanent. The system requires an element of slip to be present for the haldex clutch to start sending some of the power aft(slip is not wheel spin). In normal driving due to the fact the front wheels are powered and the rear are being pulled slip will be present and the system will be slightly engaged sending some power aft(only a small amount though), as you increase the load the more it will send aft. The only time the haldex clutch pack is full disengaged is when there is no throttle input, under braking and when stationary(can't think of any other times at the moment anyway). The system actually needs 6 degrees of rotation before the haldex clutch is transferring maximum power aft not 1/7th of a wheelspin before it starts working.

The later pre-x units fitted to Volvos even pre-empt the demand and adjust the clutch pack accordingly i.e. standing starts.

On a side note I have changed the steering boost down to 3 from 5(i think it was 5 may but have been 7). Its much nicer to drive now and the steering has a nice weight to it with more feedback on what the wheels are doing. Deffinately worth doing for anyone thinking about it.
    I stand corrected but I Was only reading from another forum know it all at the time allegedly. But I still stand by my point that its not torsen 4wd with rear bias anyway

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish
    The funny bit for me is someone trying to make a hatchback with 260+ bhp into a negative!! Some people are never happy...............
    Its a positive, its a nippy hatch for day to day living. This is good. I have the normal version as mine, I do 20000 miles a year.

A sports car it is not

1st Gear

Status
    A sports car for me usually has only 2 seats.. I am not disagreeing with you there.

A high performance car is more appropriate IMO.
    Last edited by Irish; 24th December 2006 at 14:59.

07 S3 sold and replaced with E92 335 coupe

4th Gear

Status
    I stand corrected but I Was only reading from another forum know it all at the time allegedly. But I still stand by my point that its not torsen 4wd with rear bias anyway
    Nope not the same or as good as torsen. The max possible is a 50/50 transfer but you have to be on something very slippy for that to happen. Still a pretty good system though. For info the Veyron uses haldex as well but that works the other way around rear to front power transfer.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

Neutral

Status
    ah mega

would you be willing to change my steering setting for me if i popped over to chester one day?

you interested in having it done as well beddie?
    Yeah no problem. I'll be around Chester on the Wed, Thur and Fri between xmas and new year, or during normal work hours from the 2nd. Send me a PM and I'll give you my contact details.

Phil.
    '07 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI in Audi Exclusive Lava Grey
    '07 Daihatsu Copen 1.3