Getting rid of the Egg Yolk Effect

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I have just fitted some silvatec front indicator bulbs and some silvatec side repeater bulbs to get rid of the shade of orange you can see from the standard orange bulb used.

Makes a world of difference to the looks of the car.

For anyone wondering what i am rabbiting on about, if you look at your headlights and side lights you will see the orange indicator bulbs, now there are some silver bulbs which flash orange when they are a turned on so with these fitted you can't see any orange.

If anyone is interested i can do a guide on how to do it?

Interested where from, how much & how

Thanks

Also interested. Did this on my 8L A3 but haven't really thought about on my new one.

Got any before and after pics?

Some of the guys who run BMW's just take the existing bulbs and spray them with a light coating of grey primer, just enough to cover the orange, it seems be effective and to work quite well? Not personally tried it but but worth a go if you have an old can hanging around.

Methinks you guys haven't got enough to worry about in your lives.

You're talking about spending money on stuff other people will see, but you wont.

Get a f>>king life NOW, please, before it's too late.

jdp1962 said:
Methinks you guys haven't got enough to worry about in your lives.

You're talking about spending money on stuff other people will see, but you wont.

Get a f>>king life NOW, please, before it's too late.

whats your BEEF?!

i see mine when i wash the car or when i walk to it when its parked up in the carpark

the point you are making is pretty stupid, if everyone thought the same then why would there be people buying cars that look good?!

everyone might as well drive around in a lada!

try ebay got them for my 8L S3 does make alot of difference i think & its the little things that count ie not massive spolier etc hanging off the back

Did this to my last car and it actually tidys the front up a fair bit. Id be interested in a how to

I've already got a pair of Philips Silvervision bulbs ready to go in the car when I pick it up. Bought them for my Ibiza, but it was so diffiicult to get to the indicator/sidelight bulbs I just gave up and never fitted them, so I;ll make use of them on the Audi instead.

BrianM said:
Some of the guys who run BMW's just take the existing bulbs and spray them with a light coating of grey primer, just enough to cover the orange, it seems be effective and to work quite well? Not personally tried it but but worth a go if you have an old can hanging around.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I'm suprised a BMW driver realised he has indicators!!!!!!

thats why they paint them so that even if they switch them on no one can see them flashing lol. I want to change mine but seems the lights have to be removed i also need to change the side lights but they are a *******

I just upgraded my repeaters to clear and considered the silvatec bulbs-
If I hadn't just spent £70 on mats and they were the same price then no question I would have-
But with Christmas suffocating me at the moment I went for said fried egg look!
To be honest the slight hint of orange looks ok with the Ming Blue and I probably won't change them, just glad to get rid of the orange lenses!!!

ive done this with all my cars - does make one hell of a difference but those front indicators on the head lights are a bitch to get at :mad:

Right guys i have just been outside to do a fitting guide for this mod.

Side Repeaters

Before with orange bulbs

bulb6.jpg

To remove the side repeater it has to be pushed to one side, look on the indicator and you will see SAE marking on it, push the indicator towards that side, on mine i had to push mine towards the front of the car but this depends on how the side repeater was originally fitted.

Its quite hard to push but once it moves you need to lift it away from the car at the same time.

bulb2.jpg

Once removed pull the side repeater out along with the wiring.

bulb3.jpg

Pull the black rubber connector off the side repeater

bulb4.jpg

Pull out the existing bulb and replace with the silvatec one

Push back on the rubber conector making sure that the plastic pins go into the side repeater correctly, the connector won't go in unless its lined up properly.

To refit the side repeater, put in the end of the repeater which DOES NOT have the metal clip into the wing first. Once that end is in you can now push in the other end which has the metal clip. It will now clip into place.

bulb5.jpg

Here is the finished item

bulb1.jpg

Front Indicators

Before with orange bulbs

bulb9.jpg

These are a bit fiddly if you have xenons like i do as the xenon unit protrudes out quick alot and doesn't give you much space to play with.

The indicator is located right in the corner of the car.

bulb7.jpg

Shove your hand towards the indicator and you should be able to feel your way to the indicator.

bulb8.jpg

You will know when you have reached the indicator when you find the end of this bulb holder. Turn the bulb holder anti-clockwise when looking at the car from the back to the front of the car. The bulb holder will release when it has been turned.

bulb10.jpg

Replace the bulb with the silvatec bulb (you will need offset pin'd bulbs for the front indicators) and refit the bulb holder.

With silvatec bulbs

bulb11.jpg

Just to add that this is a very easy thing to do, took me around 10mins to do the whole lot and thats including a cup of tea midway to warm up lol

oh i will do a guide on how to do the rear ones when i order some more silvatec bulbs.

A3simon said:
simple enough then if you have small womans hands lol

Now do the rears

well that would help yes but i just wedged them in and got stuck several times as i didn't want to drop the bulb holder so i now have a few scrapes on my hands but well worth the skin and blood!

Thanks, looks good! Where did you get the bulbs from?

i got the bulbs from ebay

these wil do for the side repeaters

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silvatec-Styl...ryZ10374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and these for the indicators

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silvatec-Styl...ryZ72233QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

they are i guess cheap versions of the proper silvatec ones which are around £15 a pair but i have not noticed any difference between the silvatec ones and the cheap copies!

just make sure if you are going to do the front indicators you need the OFFSET pin ones not the straight pinned ones

just buy the chrome bulbs off ebay they work fine & are exactly whats needed, cheap enough as well i think paid 4.99 for a pair.

good good

makes a massive difference to the look of the car!

RobinA3 said:
oh i will do a guide on how to do the rear ones when i order some more silvatec bulbs.

Can I just add what is the point in changing the rear indicator bulbs when the cluster lens is orange not clear? Oh just realised you have a 3dr Doh, will there be clear or smoked (indicator only, not crappy lexus lights) outer clusters available for the 5dr at some time?

I did the rears this weekend, as you said the rears are clear so it has also made a difference.

dead easy to do, if anyone wants a guide please let me know.

ive only done the rear ones - i gave up after a few minutes trying to do the front ones but i think i will give it another go this weekend!

what bulbs did you use for the siderepeaters?
where did you get them?
how much?

thanks

RobinA3 said:
I did the rears this weekend, as you said the rears are clear so it has also made a difference.

dead easy to do, if anyone wants a guide please let me know.

Me me me. I'd like to see the guide please :icon_thumright:

The bulbs I would really like to replace are the daytime running lights.

Anybody done this? They look very yellow when on and spoil the look of the car.

Cheers

Steve

The side repeater bulbs are the 'wedge' connector ones, i bought mine from Ebay.

I'll try do a guide for the rears this weekend but its just a matter of removing the rear light cluster and changing the bulb, the removal of the rear light is shown in the car's hand book.

The bulbs you will need are also offset pins like the front ones.

After you changed the bulbs, do you get any sort of cautions on the DIS about it being the wrong bulb... I remember reading something about this.

emzino said:
After you changed the bulbs, do you get any sort of cautions on the DIS about it being the wrong bulb... I remember reading something about this.

Nope

these are proper bulbs

only the LED bulbs cause the DIS warning light problems due to their low resistance.

Ahaaa I see, thanks for clearing that up. Well I look forward to getting paid in 2 weeks. I wanna get some bits & bobs for the car hehe :)

Robin - you must have THE smallest hands in the world or my 2004 sport is set up differently to access the indicators

there is just no way i can get at them without having to take the lights out

do you have xenons? is the xenon light casing different??

RobinA3 said:
i got the bulbs from ebay

these wil do for the side repeaters

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silvatec-Style-Side-Repeater-501-Bulbs-NEW_W0QQitemZ170061347206QQihZ007QQcategoryZ10374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and these for the indicators

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silvatec-Style-Indicator-Bulbs-581-off-set-pins_W0QQitemZ170061889011QQihZ007QQcategoryZ72233QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

they are i guess cheap versions of the proper silvatec ones which are around £15 a pair but i have not noticed any difference between the silvatec ones and the cheap copies!

just make sure if you are going to do the front indicators you need the OFFSET pin ones not the straight pinned ones

What about the straight pin'd ones? Is the rear of the car straight or off set??

I think the Osram Diadem's look better on the car than the silvered bulbs, they produce a subtle rainbow effect on the reflectors when unlit.

Got hold of some cheapie non-descript ones on eBay. BIG mistake! Virtually invisible in the daylight when on, so not great. Tried some Silvatec, better, but no where as bright as originals and their colour is orange not amber. Solution: get some Philips SilverVision! Highly recommended, as bright or brighter than OEM bulbs too and of course they blend into the fitting!