Head unit spec?

Mikey

Reaction score
Ive just read up that as from oct 06 new A3 slines come with a symphony II setup? Is this as standard? Can someone please tell me whats so special about it, and any pics? Any info on it at all will be great.

I'm not sure of the date from when it applied but all new A3s now come with the Concert III or Symphony III. Both units now look the same and are both double DIN units but the Concert III is a single CD unit whereas the Symphony III can store and play 6 CDs. Both units are a totally different design to the previous units.

click here for photos of each of the units.

Concert III
Symphony III

I have more details about each unit that I have taken from the Audi Germany website and translated into English using Babel Fish - not a perfect translation but good enough to understand. If you would like a copy PM me with an email address.

thanks for that matey. the look of them units look VERY good indeed!!! I ordered my A3 sline on Nov 9th so hopefully i'll get one of them!

I agree, they look better than the previous units. As I understand it all A3s that are delivered from now on will have these units. I saw several new ones that had just been unloaded from the transporter today and all those with the RNS-E units had the new III units.

it seems Audi have spec'd up the A3's quite a bit of recent.

A freind of mine is gonna be proper peeved off, he ordered his appx 5 months ago, got half leather instead of part, got charged £200 for the 14 spoke wheels, hasnt got this fancy new head unit and payed about 2k more than I did. He really didnt do his homework on the price tho. IMO he got severly ripped off when he thought he was getting a good deal, till i told him what i paid!!

Unless you added the Symphony as an option, you'll get the Concert III single-disc unit.

Audi changed the specs back in October and I'd disagree that they've been "specced up quite a bit". Yes they've added full leather to the S-Line as standard but most things have gone up in price. Off the top of my head some of the base model prices went up a couple of hundred quid, BOSE went up £85, the S-Line went up £250 (although with full leather as mentioned) plus some other hikes.

I worked out that if I'd ordered my car after the changes it would have cost me nigh on £500 more and all I'd have got for that was full leather instead of half, which I didn't want in the first place as I don't like full leather seats. Very glad I ordered before the changes.

Yes, the they seem to be adding quite a few 'goodies' lately. The SE Sportback I have just ordered now comes with the new radio units plus 17" 16-spoke wheels with 225/45 tyres as opposed my existing SE which has 16" wheels. I understand the DIS has now quite a few more functions available than my current one as well, including a digital speedo that can be set to mph or kph and also I sure I've seen someone mention that it can also give the oil temperature. The gear selected display also now on view in both tip-tronic and auto modes. Mine only shows in tip-tronic mode.

Agreed some of the options have increased in price, but my particular spec has only gone up by the basic £235 increase on the basic model. All the options I have chosen are the same price as they were. It seems to vary quite a bit with the model chosen.

on my order (ordered 1st December) it shows my order as having a symphony II+ stereo - whats what here - wish audi would sort out their decriptions and make them all match!!!!!!

...plus all that screen for text and they can't get it to display track names from MP3 cd's or fromt he ipod connection.. tut tut tut