New A3 Xenon Plus Headlights

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
The new S3 and the new TT are equipped with Daytime Running Lights rather than the extra halogen spotlight in the second unit in the headlights. These consist of a 21w normal longlife bulb and the can be programmed to be on whenever the engine is running, thus providing Daytime Running Lights. These DRLs are now recommended in most countries in Europe as research has shown that they do reduce accidents where people do not see a car. Of the countries I visit with my car they are still only recommended in France and Germany but are required by law in Austria. I understand they will be required by law in all EU countries by 2010 at the latest. It means you can drive with the DRLs on without having to have dipped headlights or any rear lights on during daytime.

Whilst I was with the salesman ordering my car he telephone a contact in Audi Technical who confirmed than my new Sportback would be fitted with the DRL system.

Having had a look at a new A3 that had just been delivered to my dealers this afternoon, I can confirm that they are now coming through with a 21w normal bulb in the inside position on the headlights to provide Daytime Running Lights.

On the S3 I test drove this had daytime running lights fitted and it took me a while to realise they were off most of the time.
These are activated by rotating a switch (0-1) that is located in the same space normally reserved for the manual headlight adjustment (0-1-2-3), but which would normally be blank with self leveling zenon headlights as in my current S3.

Yep! Bi-Xenons and DRL's on my april '06 S-Line, must have been right on the changeover point from the old 'normal' xenons.. :icon_thumright:

Thanks for that snipit of information, stevec. I have been wondering how they were activated. Obviously it will be possible to run with them off in the UK and on in Austria where they are required by law.

Beddie said:
Yep! Bi-Xenons and DRL's on my april '06 S-Line, must have been right on the changeover point from the old 'normal' xenons.. :icon_thumright:

I have them on my March 06 A3 too.

I have them on my 2 week old 07 Sportback^^

I live in Austria - so here it's a must by law.

i am guessing that Bi xenons means that there are 2 xenon units in one headlight yeah?

i have only one unit and also have the DRL switch

RobinA3 said:
i am guessing that Bi xenons means that there are 2 xenon units in one headlight yeah?

i have only one unit and also have the DRL switch

No it just means the one light does both dipped and full beam by means of a shutter in the light. Single xenon has just a xenon light for dipped beam and a halogen for full beam(the halogen being the inside light unit).

I just looked at mine and the main and dipped beam are both using the xenon unit.

The DRL uses the other bulb in the middle.

The car is a 11/05 car.