Just spent £5 to make my Audi look like a £20k car and not a £5k car!

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
One thing that really bugged me since i bought the A3 was the rust on the sodding brake discs (not the brake pad surface part of the disc!!!).

I can't believe that Audi has used brake disc suppliers which makes the car look so cheap and horrid after only a few mths!

So £5 for some hammerite and a brush and they look better!

rant over.

You can't post with a title like that then not give us a picture!

Of the discs, not your sig piccie.

I agree and did mine soon after getting the car, but most are the same, take a look when your sat in traffic at all the new beamers, Lexi they all have that semi rusty silver/grey colour. Did you do the wheel hubs at the same time? Cause they do rust and will go next

Skittler said:
You can't post with a title like that then not give us a picture!
Agree! A quick how-to for us other mortals would be nice too (unless it really is blindingly easy). Have seen the same rust on my Sportback and was thinking about treating it too.

Same thing happened with my mk5 GTi. Only had it a few weeks, now this car is going the same way, 5 weeks old....

DEAD easy thing to do

jack the car up

take the wheel off

get some paint and just paint over the rusty parts

took me 1hr to do all four wheels

such a shame this needs to be done with such a new car!

sorry i aint got any pics right now

i'll try get some but its pretty boring..........

i used some wire wool to get the loose rust off and then used hammerite as that stuff can be used over rust.

Smooth stuff for me and it went off fine on this car and the last. What temp is it your way? You may need to stick it in the garage and get the heater out. Check the curing temp on the tin

terrymcg said:
Robin,

Whatr Hammerite did you use? I bought the black smooth stuff, but the b$stard wont dry!!

i just used the smooth stuff

i applied it on in the afternoon and then drove the car the next morning completely forgetting to check if it had dried or not!!!!!

it was a VERY cold night as well so i am pretty sure it wasn't dry. i think on the tin it says 6hrs.

I have used "Direct to metal" silver paint in the past and rate it. A quick wire brush and a spray of this lasts 4 to 6 months.