Chris NottBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Coil Pack Failure

My 2.0FSi conked out on Sunday evening - erratic idling, misfiring and vibrated like a tractor.....54-Reg and 10k miles on clock.

Coil pack on cyclinder 1 was faulty but Audi replaced all 4 without a fight, which I thought was unusual....

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    very common problem my friend so thats why Audi didn't make a fuss as they know there is a problem with them

Same for me on my last A3 1.8T Sport back in 2004. I was away for a long weekend in Somerset. Audi Technician arrived at 8.00 on a Monday morning in his trusty A6 Allroad and plugged in his laptop. Yes coilpack on one cylinder - promptly changed all four. No further problems before I traded it in 5 months later.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Vroom Vroom

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gtaylor
    My 2.0FSi conked out on Sunday evening - erratic idling, misfiring and vibrated like a tractor.....54-Reg and 10k miles on clock.

Coil pack on cyclinder 1 was faulty but Audi replaced all 4 without a fight, which I thought was unusual....
    Interesting...... thats the first I've heard going on an FSI..... all others Ive known have been 8Ls.
    -------------------------

987 Boxster 2.7 (05) - Current
    A3 2.0T Quattro S-Line (55) - gone
    S3 Quattro (02) - gone

-------------------------

Reverse Gear

Status
    The coil pack on our Altea 2.0FSi Sport packed up 10 minutes after we picked it up from the dealers for the first time. Was replaced without question, just had to wait a couple of days for them to get the part in. Later we had a problem with similar symptoms, but this turned out to be caused by damp. Dealer removed the leads, dried and replaced them and then sealed around the connections with silicone. No problems since. I've heard of this happening on a few FSi engines, both Seat and Audi.

6th Gear

Status
    Now that sounds worrying!

Surely, after all the problems with coil packs that VW/AUDI/SEAT/SKODA had previously on 1.8T's, they should have "designed" these problems out! I just cannot believe it!! Call themselves engineers!

AL
    '07 Phantom Black S3 - '07 to now - Bucket Seats, FBMFSW, BOSE, Symphony II+, Cruise Control, Elec Folding Mirrors, Front Centre Armrest, Rear Armrest & Through Load, Interior Light Pack, Luggage Pack, Reversible Boot Mat, Luggage net.
    '02 Silver S3 (225bhp) - '02 to '07
    '99 A3 1.8T - '99 to '02

'11 Rising Blue Golf R - '12 to now - 19" Black Talladega's
    '52 Black Golf GTi MkIV Anniversary - '03 to '12

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gtaylor
    Audi replaced faulty coil packs on my 8L S3 which was well out of waranty. No questions asked. It is interesting to hear than this fault still exists on the 8P model. Strange....
    Last edited by JohnS3; 11th December 2006 at 17:34. Reason: Spelling!!!