SE or Sport??

Castro

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am moving on from my 2001 (8L) Audi A3 TDi (130) Sport to a new company A3 and I'm agonsing over whether to go down the Sport or SE trim road.

The base car is: Audi A3 2.0 TDI (170) S-Tronic in brilliant silver

I'm leaning towards the sport spec with the armrest as an option (£95) since it comes with a DIS which I really like the sound of. But I am worried about the firmness of the suspension since I do a lot of miles and don't want a dislocated vertebrae :)

Cheers

If you do a lot of miles, an SE would give you an armrest and cruise control as standard, which (for me anyway!) work better on longer journeys. DIS was an option I ticked when I bought my SE new, but I think for 2007 the specs are changing and maybe more similar.

The SE does have slightly softer suspension, but a previous thread here suggested that there's little in it in terms of stiffness or handling. I test drove a Sport at launch and found the ride a touch too harsh and noisy for my liking, but the main reason I settled on an SE was the extra comfort-orientated toys (like auto lights and wipers for example).

You've just got to test drove both models if possible!

IMO Sport as I think the trim etc is better but that is just my opinion. I have a sport and do not find it too firm but I have not driven an SE so I cant compare.

I had 4 A3(8L) 1.8 T Sports before my current 2.0 TDI SE DSG. Before I decided on this model I tried both Sport and SE models with both 2.0 TDI and 2.0 FSI engines. I went for the TDI in SE mode because I felt it gave a very similar mix of performance and ride to my previous 1.8Ts and I liked the SE package. I has DIS on my previous ones so I just added this as an option.

My current A3 will be 3 years old in July and I am beginning to look at the options to change. At the week-end I tried 2 Sportback models - an 2.0TDI 140 and a 2.0T. Both were Sport models and I must say I still prefer the SE. The SE now comes with 17" wheels and 225/45 tyres, the same as the Sport so the only difference from the ride/handling point of view is the sport suspension. I am not over keen on the sports seats so I will almost certainly go for the SE model again and again add the DIS together with some other goodies.

I used to have a 2.0TDi 140 SE in which I did 23k in 8 months (mostly motorways / dual carriageways). I now have an S-Line in which I've done 10k in 3 months on the same type of road. The ride is obviously firmer, but not by any great degree. On that basis, I'd say go for the Sport, but spec in the armrest and cruise as both are of enormous benefit on a long motorway drive.

Also, the Sport is only 1cm lower than the SE too.

Thanks chaps, Sport it is then. Since its a company car my options list is limited, so I've only added metallic paint and the £95 armrest. As for cruise control, I retrofitted this myself on my current A3 (£30 for the stalk + VAGCOM + 2hrs). I'm hoping I can do the same on this A3.

Castro said:
As for cruise control, I retrofitted this myself on my current A3 (£30 for the stalk + VAGCOM + 2hrs). I'm hoping I can do the same on this A3.
Interesting - did you have to get a different lower shroud for the steering column to fit the cruise control stalk, or did you modify the existing one to fit? Already have cruise but I've noticed the shrouds are different.

before i bought my last A3 TDI - test drove an SE and to be honest i couldn't really feel much difference between that and when i got my car which was a sport - im sure theres a small difference but really not that much

benw123 said:
Interesting - did you have to get a different lower shroud for the steering column to fit the cruise control stalk, or did you modify the existing one to fit? Already have cruise but I've noticed the shrouds are different.
Hi, I actually retrofitted it to a 8L (2001) Audi A3. I went to a group install session with some VW Golf owners (same stalk, same loom etc..) and we did the install together one lazy Sunday afternoon. Absolutely nothing changed, just removed the old indicator stalk and put in the cruise enabled one.

Cheers