Another rattling windows thread!

Monsoon

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed at some length before, but both front windows on my A3 have just started to rattle/creak when shut, and if I lower them by a millimetre it stops. I've tried some of the suggestions previously posted - rubbing soap, washing-up-liquid, vasaline, etc all round the felt/rubber seals at the top but it still persists. When I rinsed it all away with water the noise stopped, but soon started up again when the water had dried. Presumably it's the rubber seal/felt that's dried out and is rubbing on the glass?

I'm now resigned to the fact that it'll have to go to a dealer, so can anyone who's taken their car in before to fix this let me know exactly what work the dealer did so that I can give them some ideas? The sting in the tail is that the warranty ran out two weeks ago on my car - and the rattling started the day after! So I'll have to pay up for any "repairs". Thanks.

Well mine goes in for servicing next week and I have told them to 'fix' the window rattle problem. I will also print out the full list of issues and leave a few in the car so they get the idea.

1) Doors – both passenger and drivers doors windows rattle and rumble, take the car on to a uneven poor rood service you will hear this very clearly. If you drop the window by a few mm it will stop. I understand that this requires a door adjustment and not just lubricating the window surrounds.

I'm betting that they will be on track form and not fix any of the 6 problems I have told them about. If they do fix it, I will ask them what they have done in detail for you

This happened on my old Polo when i bought it new, the dealers couldn't do anything to sort the problem out so out of frustration i solved it myself by adjusting the height the window travels when it was closed by messing with the mechanism.

Also found WD40 on the seals solved it for a few weeks.

As one of many with the problem, I'd be interested in how you 2 guys get on please. Same here, drop by 1mm and it stops, there some days not others.

I too had this problem after many visits to the dealer & them spraying something all over the widows & rubber,i was getting really hacked off thinking it's just me moaning.
Onlastvisit a new guy from Seat had a look & said some Seat's had this problem & replaced the rubbers to cure it, he said he would check on line to see if it is a known fault & could replace the window rubbers free of charge.
Which it was & they did, & now creak free driving, fantastic.
So now a happy customer well that was after theyscratched the window replacing one of the rubbers, then replaced the window & the door wouldn't shut. Just having no luck with them any way as compensation i was offered a free service when its due & would get a letter in the post.
3 months on dozen phone calls still no letter, so tomorrow i shall ring & tell them to have the letter ready for collection as i will be in to buy some new wiper blades,& im hoping to get these for free aswell.

Good post mate.

So are you saying they said it was a known problem on their online system and is logged as such? Did they have a ref number?

Yes i was told a problem known to them on their online system, but it took 4 visits & a very switched on mechanic to get a result.
But Audi do have an online system for checking faults & if its covered by warranty & the rubbers are, so get on to your dealer & get them to check online (what ever it is)& get them replaced.
Ref No. sorry i dont have one, not give one for the problem, i think you just need to find someone at the dealers willing & able to help, atleast you can tell them that mine were replaced for creaking/ no noise when dropped a mm, the car is a 54 plate.
Some people are just useless/ not interested in customer service, when they left my door so it wouldn't shut, i was told we've not touched the door, as if i would drive in with the door open & swinging around.It turns out when replacing the window they remove the catch system & never put it back correctly.

D3fy - Any luck with solving the problem?

From the replies it seems replacement rubber seals works for some, whereas others need some kind of adjustment to the door - anyone any ideas exactly what this is?

If I print off the pages and pages of threads on this and take it to Audi stating that it's obviously a known fault and I'd like it fixed free of charge despite the warranty expiring, what are my chances? Nil I guess!

They have lubed it - so we will see how long it last and then take it back. The car is booked in on the 20th for the mirrors to be replaced and for them to fix the other rattle that they did not fix this time round.

They really are playing true to form and at this moment in time I would rather **** razor blades than ever, ever having the miss fortune of owning an Audi and having to use Audi stealers again.

They have lubed it - so we will see how long it last and then take it back. The car is booked in on the 20th for the mirrors to be replaced and for them to fix the other rattle that they did not fix this time round.

They really are playing true to form and at this moment in time I would rather **** razor blades than ever, ever having the miss fortune of owning an Audi and having to use Audi stealers again.

Just to update on my problems i called into the dealers to pick up my letter for a free service, & guess what, not ready for me, cant believe it, but it came in the post next morning, & i had to pay for the wipers £ 27 now now windscreen is grease free, at last.
No creaks or squeaks from windows, finally a happy customer til the next visit.

Let us know if it comes back and be interested how d3fy gets on - one of u has been lubed, one has replacements! Which will last!

Well the creaking come back, but so far only on the passenger side, atleast from the thread i know how long it lasted.

I took my A3 ('04 2.0 TDI) into a dealership last year with the same problem - creaky windows on both drivers and passengers side - but only when it was warm/hot.

The first tech tried adjusting the doors and sprayed loads of silicone lub everywhere (which made a right mess as it streaked as you drove) but that made it worst. 'Don't worry - it will settle down' - which it did after I wiped tried to wipe it all off when I got home!

Did some research on the Net and people were recommending Krytox - VW group call it 'Special Lubricant' - managed to find the part number as well (G 052 172.A1)

Took it in the following week and another tech had a go. He brought out the silicone lub again - told him that was already tried - told him I Krytox was the solution. He insisted on trying some grease first - which he said had fixed it - so I said lets go for a test drive...didn't even get out of the car park - first speed bump,,,creaks!

Finally managed to convince him to find the bottle of Krytox - he said they used it on the rear spoiler on the TT and on the VW EOS. After cleaning all the other gunk off and applying the Krytox - no creak! In fact the creak disappeared for the rest of the summer (but has returned again this year).

Wouldn't let me keep the bottle - this stuff is damn expensive! Think it was about £30 for a small bottle.

Here's a link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2819603 - the tech used the same one as in the first pic on that page...

Haven't managed to find a cheap source for Krytox yet....does anyone else know where to get it?

http://gbrtech.co.uk/whats-new.htm#anti

In one the threads is states do not use on the fuzzy seals, i guess this means the felt seals.
Well worth some more research.

Sent the above an email to find out about using this product on seals with felt areas