Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Chorus » RNS-E sat nav Retrofit

All this Sat Nav talk at "Symphony II » RNS-E sat nav Retrofit" has got me quite interested, has any body carried it out with a Chorus radio? Looks to me as if I would need a new carrier for the hazards and also a new ECC unit?
    TTS, 19's,DSG,Sat Nav,phone,elec seats,bose,ex leather,and more

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Go fit you won't regret it.

Have a look on here http://www.navplus.us

Status
    People have done it John, but it is a little bit more involved for Chorus owners. As well as the RNS-E unit, you will to strip out the entire centre of the dash and fit a double-DIN cage, plus either cut your existing climate control panel to fit it lower in the dash (using a dremel) or buy a new climate unit (expensive). You may also need some new buttons for ESP and the passenger airbag warning light.Agree with Steve though - the http://www.navplus.us is fantastic and full of information on the RNS-E. I used it extensively before my install.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

3rd Gear

Status
    I had a single DIN in my 8L. It wasn't that difficult to fit a double DIN I needed to remove glove box and cover under steering wheel and some screws and the cage will come out. I would be a bit scared with the Dremel to trim the climate module for a 8P being so new.

But.....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-S3-8P-...QQcmdZViewItem

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Steve, shame he only does COD and has no paypal, I have contacted him anyway so I will see what happens, is all of that backing piece what is called the double din?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benw123
    People have done it John, but it is a little bit more involved for Chorus owners. As well as the RNS-E unit, you will to strip out the entire centre of the dash and fit a double-DIN cage, plus either cut your existing climate control panel to fit it lower in the dash (using a dremel) or buy a new climate unit (expensive). You may also need some new buttons for ESP and the passenger airbag warning light.Agree with Steve though - the http://www.navplus.us is fantastic and full of information on the RNS-E. I used it extensively before my install.
    Thanks Ben, I have had a look there but didn't find any info regarding changing to a double din, I'll have another look later

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmv55
    is all of that backing piece what is called the double din?
    Yep - if the climate panel was missing in those pictures, you'll have a big piece of plastic that bolts into the dash. This is what will hold the RNS-E in place.

For me, as a Symphony II owner, the double-DIN cage, correct climate control and buttons are already in place, so only needed a harness and the stereo just swaps out.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink