Insurance On New S3. I know its wrong area. See Below

DaveS3Turbo

Sepang Blue S3
Reaction score
Hi all.

Currently saving on new S3 after recent Test drive.
Im 20 years old and 21 next year currently driving An A3 2.0T Quattro With all the bits.

I am just explaining my past etc....

Anyway after my test drive on saturday, i fell in love with it. It's so much in many ways better than my 2.0T Quatty.

After recenty getting insurance from more than for £900 ( Their System **** Up ).
I would be wanting to get insured on an S3 next year. I would be on my dads insurance. 5 NCB + No Losses Etc. Clean Licenses All That.

Just wondering who at 20-21 has an S3 or 18E Group car and what company they are with.

Sorry for rushed post.

Insuring the car in your Dad's name if you are the main driver is against the law. I know young people do it, but if you have an accident when you are driving the insurance company could refuse to pay out and you could be landed with a very large bill for repairs to your car, for repairs to any 3rd parties car and for any injuries that may result.

If you cannot afford the insurance then you cannot afford the car !

21 year old's with this kind of money ?!?!?

Why do I suspect they still live with their parents.......

;-)

i had my s3 at 21. (all be it the old shape)

try direct line. no one could touch them for premium. i paid £700 full comp and now im 23 i pay £400 full comp

Nathan

i have to disagree im 17 have a 1.8t sport A3 named driver on my mums policy i got hit by an idiot in a corsa no problems with insurance etc??

Jason

Jason_letts said:
i have to disagree im 17 have a 1.8t sport A3 named driver on my mums policy i got hit by an idiot in a corsa no problems with insurance etc??

Jason

The problems arise from who is the main driver. If you get insured on your mums insurance and you're actually the main driver. That's where there's the problem.

davidmann said:
I would be wanting to get insured on an S3 next year. I would be on my dads insurance. 5 NCB + No Losses Etc. Clean Licenses All That.
I take it you're aware that this is insurance fraud and thus illegal?

If you're the main driver of the car but your dad is down as the main driver on the policy with you as a named driver then, should the insurers find out, they'll void the policy.

You might think this is unlikely but, should the worst happen and you write a £30k car off, you'll be amazed at the lengths the insurers will go to to avoid paying out. If they even suspect you're pulling a fast one you'll be in serious trouble.

Hi, I'm 20 and have a 2004 A3 2.0TDi, i'm insured on my own policy and pay £1300 with tesco, only have 1 years no claim bonus and 1 claim in 2004, found tesco's to offer a good price, you could always go on confused.com or maybe try adrianflux.co.uk, good luck!

What every1 is saying about insurance companies is true......

however, no matter what the circumstances insurance companies always try to avoid paying out especially with cars of a value such as this.

At the end of the day if they cant prove anything and you're careful you wont have a problem - i.e how many miles do you do in a year - how can mr insurance ever tell that(unless its a brand new car)

But again i have to ask - how can you afford a 28k car and cant insure it, doesnt add up. I'm 22 and I cant afford 2.5k for insurance, but i cant afford that car either.

I pay 264 quid a MONTH on my 1.6 a3 :lmfao:! (But its only for a few months to finish my no claims year :p)

Have a look here - http://www.moneysupermarket.com/motor/ in the car insurance section. Its pretty good but don't trust the prices exactly.

rodenal said:
At the end of the day if they cant prove anything and you're careful you wont have a problem - i.e how many miles do you do in a year - how can mr insurance ever tell that(unless its a brand new car)
They don't need to prove anything really, they'll take one look at the circumstances, i.e. very young named driver on dad's policy when dad also has another vehicle insured, and put 2 and 2 together. If they decide not to pay out then it'll be up to you to take legal action to force them to pay up and the web of lies is bound to be rumbled.

I'M not doing anything legal.

I Drive a company van to and from work. My dads drives 2 cars. 1 being a diesel.

How am I the main driver ?

We have made a claim already for the 2.0T and no problems there for the £1200 claim.

All I am asking is, is it within the 2k Mark. Don't give me the illegal stuff because it isn't.

Im gonna get an s3 next summer after my 10K save up.

Just wondered who is the best for young drivers of 21

davidmann said:

I Drive a company van to and from work. My dads drives 2 cars. 1 being a diesel.

We have made a claim already for the 2.0T and no problems there for the £1200 claim.

All I am asking is, is it within the 2k Mark. Don't give me the illegal stuff because it isn't.

Im gonna get an s3 next summer after my 10K save up.

Just wondered who is the best for young drivers of 21

Your Dad has two cars already, but he can only use the 5 years ncb on one policy!!

Insurers are wise to named drivers now and load based on the highest risk. I would suggest getting a couple of quotes with you as Main Driver and your Mum (or Dad) as named driver as long as they live in same house. This will probably give you a similar quote and your own ncb.

And the guy who is insuring an S3 for £400 at 23 years old must live in the outer hebrides. My Wife's insurance on Golf TDi is more than that with 15 years ncb and both of us well over 30!!

I'm paying just over £1000 with Elephant on my 3.2 I'm 24 with 3 years NCB.

Defiantly put yourself as the main driver on the log book and also on the insurance so that you build up your NCB.

Then the best thing to do is to add your mum (as long as she has a good NCB) as an additional driver (It doesn't matter if she is a main driver on another car) and you will see your quote drop by at least 25%. Don’t ask me how Elephant work this out...

Also I have found that changing your job description gives you a little saving as well.

I used to be down as a Web designer and when I asked them to change it to a computer programmer it took £80 off the quote, which was nice.

Also work out what mileage you do a year if its only 6000 tell them and it will give you a saving. You can always add more mileage to it later...

this does sound a bit ridiculous, 20/21 yrs olds driving S3's to me! I'm 27 and drive a 2.0 TDI A3 and pay £600/yr insurance with 4yrs NCB. I used to drive my dads M3 on ocassion when he bought it 4yrs ago and it was BMW insurance, they would add me onto his policy for a reasonable £4 a day. I was not able to get added to his insurance policy for the year because this would have cost the earth!

David, Is this S3 gonna be your car? Are you paying for it or is it your dads? If its your dads car he must be a nice trusting fella to let his 20yr old son drive it day in day out under his name with his NCB! If you are paying for the car and you will own it and be paying for fuel then dont even bother buying it if you can't afford 2-3k a year as a budget for car insurance in your own name.

cooky

davidmann said:

If your dad will drive the car more than you do then fair enough. If, OTOH, you drive the car more than your father does, yet he is declared as the main driver on the insurance then you are committing insurance fraud which is illegal. Deal with it.

TDI-line said:
Buy a house. :)

Hear hear !

I swear to god,if any 21 year old child of mine ever has the money to buy a flash car,they'll be told to GTF out of my house and buy their own one.

We've got one such mummy's boy here.
Subaru and £1400 per year insurance to go with it.

Every time I see him,I say "still living with mummy and daddy?"

Eunuch.

Tend to agree with bowfer tbh.

Firstly there's the fact that you're always better getting on the property ladder as early as possible. If you want a flash car then just wait a few years and use the equity in your property to buy the car.

Secondly, as Bowfer said, I'd be somewhat aggrieved if a child of mine was living under my roof for free or a relative pittance and spending all their disposable income on a car. I wouldn't necessarily kick them out but I'd be wanting them to pay the going rate in rent to contribute to the bills and mortgage before they spent the rest on whatever they liked.

I agree with Bowfer too... I'm 27 have my own house and an Audi, but I haven't had it handed to me on a plate. All of these 20 (ish) year olds with S3's or whatever should seriously get a life. If you can afford a 30K car then you could afford a fcuking great huge deposit on a house where you can party and take girls home until you can't take it anymore... instead of worrying that mummy and daddy might hear you!!

Come on guys, everyone wants nices cars but there is more to life.

But too add my 2 pence worth my insurance is about £500 with 5 years NCB and it's protected with Privilege. They have beaten anyother quote since I have brought the car (from new) - can't fault um.

Get your own insurance, get some NCB's and move out.... best thing I ever did!!

But saying that I'd love an S3, if only I could add the S3 to the mortage paymenets..... sure I could maker it work over 30 years!!! :shrug:

wilko said:
But too add my 2 pence worth my insurance is about £500 with 5 years NCB and it's protected with Privilege. They have beaten anyother quote since I have brought the car (from new) - can't fault um.

Privilege have always been good to us for the wife's motor too.

I intend to try budget next time though ( "smart people budget" ) as they knocked the hell out of everyone,including privilege,for my mother's insurance.

Privilege wanted £137.00
Budget £99.45

A massive 38% saving !

Auroan... wife and 25? Each to their own.

I'll bare that in mind in March next year bowfer!

Might as well chip in, just renewed today as it happens.

Mid 30s, 7yrs ncb, 3.2 s-line and £373 with £100xs

Jeez.

It's not my fault I have a good job and i can afford the 30k car which is all my hard earned cash. I am just asking because id rather not pay the 3k because of my age when Ive done my IAM test and ROSPA course.

Im just asking for your opinions on insurance not my life.
Im not ready for moving with my girlfriend yet because she as uni for 3 years and don't wanna be on my own.

Sorry guys If I got your backs up.

If you can afford the 30k for the car afford 3k for insurance. Better off on your own insurance.

davidmann said:
Jeez.

It's not my fault I have a good job and i can afford the 30k car which is all my hard earned cash. I am just asking because id rather not pay the 3k because of my age when Ive done my IAM test and ROSPA course.

Im not ready for moving with my girlfriend yet because she as uni for 3 years and don't wanna be on my own.

Your dad will need to be registered keeper of the car for him to be the main driver.

If you do this I can't see the insurance company having any problems - why would they?

I want a house :( you can have my A3 for 30k instead and i guarantee you it wont cost 3k to insure it........... :)

Insurance companies are much more interested in who the main driver will be rather than who is the registered keeper. It is quite possible to be the registered keeper of a car and not even be able to drive!

davidmann - I can quite accept you life style and whether you want to buy a house or continue to live with your parents is entirely up to you - and them!
But you really should insure a car where you are going to be the main driver in your name based on your age and driving experience or it is insurance fraud and is against the law.

Are you the same David Mann that we have had similar discussions with on a forum previously about the same situation when you first had a 2.0TDI and then a 2.0T?

davidmann said:
Jeez.

I think you are better off getting your own insurance as you can't go on your dad's insurance for ever. You need to build up the NCB.

Correct.

I'd get a house over a car anyday but not on my own.
Id rather live for what I enjoy for the time being as would many people.

I agree with all your comments on insurance however it has become so much of a joke due to people of the younger age. I'm not saying im the best driver in the world but I'm sure I have more of a head on me.

My dad "will" drive the car probably once more than me a week as I drive the van mainly.

I need NCB no doubt, best bet is to insure myself on a scrapped VIN plate which I would never claim on.

DM

after reading this a few thoughts occur
- how can you have 5 yrs NCD when you made a claim on the 2.0T Q already
- some insurance comapnies will allow you an extra discount on a second car but you can't take the 5 Yr NCD and just add extra cars
- if you are not tha main driver , it is fraud, and on a big claim , just when you need it they will pull the plug
- if i paid £30k for a car , i'd want to be insured properly , knowing i'd get payout should it all go wrong, if you can't pay the £3k insurance, wait afew more months and save that 3k up and pay yourself.
It's one thing living for the mmoment, another being impatient , wait and you'll value it more once you get it.

sound's very dodgy to me, also sounds like daddy's helping to much. You might have a good job... but a house is more important than a nice car..... no matter which way you argue it.

I had a house at your age, now I have a nice car..... I dam well appriciate it more, I own the car and have pucka insurance.

When I went to University my Mum put me on her insurance so I could drive her car at the weekends. All my other friends bought old bangers and had their own insurance. By the time I started working they had nice fast cars and cheaper insurance because they had a couple of years NCB. I on the other hand couldn't get insured on anything decent and had to pick a low insurance group car.

Best get your own insurance as you can't be on your Dad's insurance forever. I never noticed insurance getting any cheaper at 21,25 or 30 etc if that's what your waiting for.

auroan said:
sound's very dodgy to me, also sounds like daddy's helping to much. You might have a good job... but a house is more important than a nice car..... no matter which way you argue it.

I had a house at your age, now I have a nice car..... I dam well appriciate it more, I own the car and have pucka insurance.

Same here,first house at 20 years old.

Must be quite funny though eh ?
Pulling some girl in a flash car,then explaining that you can't go back to yours in case you wake mum and dad up...

Priorities young man,priorities...

Some parents don't half make it easy for their offspring.
I'm a parent myself,and I'm sure I will do everything I can for my kid/s,but I will act quickly if they take the mick.

Having a flash car,whilst still staying in my home,would EASILY constitute taking the mick...

bowfer said:
Same here,first house at 20 years old.

Must be quite funny though eh ?
Pulling some girl in a flash car,then explaining that you can't go back to yours in case you wake mum and dad up...

There's always the back of the car.

bowfer said:
Priorities young man,priorities...

Some parents don't half make it easy for their offspring.
I'm a parent myself,and I'm sure I will do everything I can for my kid/s,but I will act quickly if they take the mick.

Having a flash car,whilst still staying in my home,would EASILY constitute taking the mick...

Cheap rent. God I wish I got on that ladder earlier.

Good answer Steve - you can't beat having a nice car but at 20 or what ever you really don't need a 30K car. As above all that should come as and when the time is right.

And if your gonna buy one get it insured right cos if you crash into anyone you won't get let off lightly. You know it makes sense.