Bumper Advice

B

Boydie

All right guys - just joined!

Just got my hands on an 04 8P A3 - happy to bits lol

its just a sport but im wanting to put a sportback front bumper on it

but ive just been offered this bumper: isnt it an s-line optional extra??

[URL="http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/one_team/A3/A3-FrontLeft.jpg"][/URL]

what you think?

i was going to get the sportback front bumper and get the audi skirt kit or get the reiger splitter for it:

[URL="http://www.tuning.co.uk/rieger/media/00056739.jpg"][/URL]

i can get the s-line bumper (without fogs, or grills) for £125 - that a good price?

how much for the grills and fog holders?

think i will go for the sline bumper - some lovely looking A3's on here and i found this one here - same colour as mine and i love it

03Small.jpg

cheers mate - looks lovely

im after all kinds of s-line gear: steering wheel, interior trim as mine has come with stupid dark plastic which scratches so easy and shows up :S not nice at all

what else can you suggest? cant wait for the modifying to begin!

Multi-function steering wheel has nice feel. Gear stick is nice too, shiny bit directly below leather knob is actually metal - feels cold to touch. Not sure what else you can replace.

Side note: Autoglym Super Resin Polish seem to work well on the exterior. paint.

So you have a 3-door rather than a Sportback? If it's on an 04 plate does it have the old-style grille rather than the new "full-height" one?

If so then you'll not be able to change the front bumper and grille without changing the bonnet too.

no mate

3 or 5 door its the same car

you can get the sportback sport which is a 3door version with the bigger front grill

you had me worried there so i had to rush out and check the bonnet lol its the same as the one i posted in blue above so it should fit no problem

what colour is that blue above? is it maritious?

pearl? no such colour in A3 range called pearl!

Boydie said:
no mate

3 or 5 door its the same car

you can get the sportback sport which is a 3door version with the bigger front grill
What on earth are you on about?

The original 3-door had a different grille. The new deeper grille was introduced on the 5-door Sportback. The 3-door was later facelifted to add the new deeper grille. I was just checking you didn't have an early 3-door with the original grille as retrofitting the new deep grille would require a different bonnet.

And there's no such thing as a 3-door "Sportback Sport"

i thought there was :S im new to this audi scene

whats an a3 then with 3 doors and sportback front bumper?

my bonnet is the same as the ones above so it can accomodate the bigger grill

Boydie said:
whats an a3 then with 3 doors and sportback front bumper?
There's no such thing as a "sportback front bumper". The Sportback is simply the name given to the 5-door model. The S-Line has a different front bumper and is what the blue car you posted has (note the S-line badge on the grille) but you can get 3-door and Sportback S-lines with this grille.
my bonnet is the same as the ones above so it can accomodate the bigger grill
The phrase "bigger grille" suggests you don't currently have this.

Let's clarify here. Does your grille look like the one on the blue car you posted, or like the original grille, here?:

audi-a3-front-rgb-250.jpg

If it's like the blue one but you don't have the full S-line version with the different bit around the fog lights then you can retro-fit this easily enough. If you have the original style grille then the bonnet will require changing.

Then you can't fit the new deeper grille, as featured in the picture you posted, without changing the bonnet aswell as it's a different shape (the new deep grills is narrower).

Are you 100%???

it "looks" the same in the photos - its just ive put an offer on the the bumper on ebay :S

Positive.

If you look at the picture you posted, with the new deep grille, look at the bit of the blue bodywork between the grille and lights on each side. Notice how it comes forward from the edge of the lights and then there's an angle and a "flat" bit next to the grille itself?

The original grille didn't have this "flat" bit, it was wider and filled this space. Look at this picture of mine and contrast it with the picture you posted and you'll see what I mean.

a3-2.jpg

03Small.jpg

thanks mate - its the little things that you miss :(

but to me it just looks like the bumper is a different shape in that area - my boss has a sportback so i will go out and have a nosey (during lunch so he doesnt spot me)

has anyone ever fit one of these bumpers to their sport before?

Yeah it's not obvious that the bonnet is different at first glance.

If you look at where the bonnet meets the top corners of the grille and curves round it, on the old grille the crease running down the bonnet meets this point exactly but on the new grille the crease line is nearer the lights than the curve where the bonnet meets the grille.

I actually think the original, wider, grill looks better than the the new one and is the one thing I'll prefer on my old car to the new one.

Boydie said:
cheers mate - looks lovely

im after all kinds of s-line gear: steering wheel, interior trim as mine has come with stupid dark plastic which scratches so easy and shows up :S not nice at all

what else can you suggest? cant wait for the modifying to begin!

"What else can I suggest?"................with a shopping list like you have I suggest you have bought the wrong car in the first place.................

your quite possibly right john :ermm:

but when you get offered a £14k car for around half price from your father you cant complain