changing the headlamp glass

khalil

Reaction score
hi can someone tell me if it is possible to replace the headlamp glass as mine is baddly chipped or do you have to change the whole headlamp

The Audi's electronic parts catalogue only lists the complete headlight. The headlight glass is not listed on it's own.

Just been out to the garage and had a look an the halogen headlights I've just taken out (to replace with Xenons).

There are five spring clips holding the front glass onto the headlight body, but after removing those, the glass still won't come off. There looks to be some sort of grey sealant glueing the two parts together...

I work at Valeo, where most of the headlamps are manufactured.

The headlams are sealed for life, and the glass (polycarbonate) is not sold seperately.

The grey sealant is what keeps water out, and keeps the headlamp airtight, and can only be removed by heating.

I do not recomend removing it from the rest of the headlamp.

Do not polish the plastic glass either as you will remove the Antiscratch protective coating that the headlamp has on the outside.

Amgad, As you work for Valeo, have you any idea if the Xenon plus headlights fitted to a new A3 (not S3) can be made to be Daytime Running Lights. I was in an Audi showroom this morning and I noted that both the new TT and the new S3 in the showroom had Xenons in the outer part of the headlights and a normal, rather than halogen bulb in the inner lights.

The spec for both cars says they have Xenon plus headlights with Daytime Running Lights. When I was in Austria in the summer I saw a number of the new TTs on a press launch and noted that that was how the were setup with Daytime Running Lights.

I am considering the purchase of another new A3 and would like to have the Daytime Running Lights, especially when I go to Austria next year, where the are required by law. Better than driving with normal headlights on all the time.

If you are able to give any information it would be very much appreciated.

h5djr said:
Amgad, As you work for Valeo, have you any idea if the Xenon plus headlights fitted to a new A3 (not S3) can be made to be Daytime Running Lights. I was in an Audi showroom this morning and I noted that both the new TT and the new S3 in the showroom had Xenons in the outer part of the headlights and a normal, rather than halogen bulb in the inner lights.

The spec for both cars says they have Xenon plus headlights with Daytime Running Lights. When I was in Austria in the summer I saw a number of the new TTs on a press launch and noted that that was how the were setup with Daytime Running Lights.

I am considering the purchase of another new A3 and would like to have the Daytime Running Lights, especially when I go to Austria next year, where the are required by law. Better than driving with normal headlights on all the time.

If you are able to give any information it would be very much appreciated.

Dont know if i have understood properly. I am also getting an A3 SB soon, and the setup for Xenon plus (1 xenon for both high and low beam) is the xenon on the outsied of the headlamp and on the inside there is a regular P21W bulb (ordinary tail bulb) that serves as the DRL, so if you are getting a new A3 you will not have to worry about converting anything to DRL.