JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: New S3 vs R32

  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    74

    New S3 vs R32

    Posted on the tyresmoke forum S3 laps 2sec quicker than the R32.

    Well the R32 is being piloted by a woman which you would think has something to do with it until you realise who she is

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm0yMbccU08

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Vertigo1's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,620
    Sabine!

    Prangs her M5 then serves me beer later the same day - what a woman!

  4. #3
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    Hmmm I wonder if the DSG gave the R32 an undair advantage...
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

  5. #4
    jamiekip
    Guest
    DSG, unfair advantage???
    Still 2 secs slower on the lap!

  6. #5
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    Oops I know what I meant to write!!! Yes unfair advantage to the manual S3. DSG is not the ideal gearbox to have on a track... Which is why VAG probably supplied the DSG R32 for comparision, wouldn't look very good if it was as quick or quicker than the S3 now would it...
    Last edited by marriedblonde; 23rd November 2006 at 08:09.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

  7. #6
    aiculedtzu's Avatar
    under pressure

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    208
    I did see a few comparison tests between the S3 and the R32 and on the track the S3 is much faster than the R32 (regardless of its gearbox).

    Autobild tested them at Contidrom:
    S3 -71.5 sec
    R32 (Manual) - 72.5 sec

    And when Auto Zeitung tested them:
    S3 - 1 min 45.9 sec
    R32 (Manual) - 1 min 47.8 sec

  8. #7
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    For us in the uk it wont be long before Evo, top gear etc do some test and get some times out of them...
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    74
    Their was a another german magazine which tested the new S3 with the current crop of hot hatches (BMW 130i, focus ST, Mazda 3MP, Opel VXR & R32), with the new S3 coming in 3rd

    However it did pose the fastest lap time there by nearly 1 second, R32 2nd, 130i 5th !

    And the 130i won overall.

    So what gives its clear the S3 is probably the quickest round the track (which it never was, due to crap brakes etc). Though its still slated by the UK mags, which leaves me to the conclusion that its price tag is the main negative

  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lothian
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1
    Sabine!

    Prangs her M5 then serves me beer later the same day - what a woman!
    Ive heard she gets regular proposals for marriage!
    Cheers.
    Mark.

    2.7T S4, A3 Tdi 110, Polo G40...

  11. #10
    aiculedtzu's Avatar
    under pressure

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM
    Their was a another german magazine which tested the new S3 with the current crop of hot hatches (BMW 130i, focus ST, Mazda 3MP, Opel VXR & R32), with the new S3 coming in 3rd

    However it did pose the fastest lap time there by nearly 1 second, R32 2nd, 130i 5th !
    Yes, that test was made by Autobild.de and the 130i won overall, but the S3 was the fastest accelerating hot hatch and also the quickest on the track . These are the laptimes:

    1. Audi S3 - 71.59 sec
    2. VW R32 - 72.51 sec
    3. Mazda 3 MPS - 72.62 sec
    4. Opel Astra OPC - 73.08 sec
    5. BMW 130i - 73.22 sec
    6. Focus ST - 74.46 sec
    Last edited by aiculedtzu; 23rd November 2006 at 13:49.
    Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro - Turbo-Back exhaust - Cold Air Intake - Uprated Fuel Pump - Upgraded Clutch - Upgraded Intercooler - Stage2+ Software

  12. #11
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Do a lap time per pound spent comparison.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  13. #12
    aiculedtzu's Avatar
    under pressure

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    208
    Well, we can see it like this: If you want the fastest hot hatch around you should reach deeper into your pocket.

    What you pay for is what you get
    Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro - Turbo-Back exhaust - Cold Air Intake - Uprated Fuel Pump - Upgraded Clutch - Upgraded Intercooler - Stage2+ Software

  14. #13
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    True,but fools and their money etc...
    The fact the S3 is 8K dearer,minimum,than most of the other cars in that comparison cannot be ignored,unless the buyer truly does have money to burn.
    Christ,for the price of an S3 you could buy the Mazda/Ford/Vauxhall,a track-only car and a trailer !
    There's a Caterham super sprint on autotrader for 7K,with a 220bhp engine.

    So Mazda/VXR/ST + Caterham + trailer for less than an S3.

    Maybe some people don't want a track-only car though,in which case stop bragging about the lap times one's car does...
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 23rd November 2006 at 15:26.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    190
    Eh I for one was finding the lap time comparisons pretty interesting thanks..

  16. #15
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish
    Eh I for one was finding the lap time comparisons pretty interesting thanks..
    I'm just pointing out that using laptimes as the justification for buying a car that is massively more expensive than a fair proportion of the competition is,for 99% of owners,completely meaningless.

    It doesn't even mean it's the best road car.
    As with the bike world,fastest on track doesn't automatically mean best on road.
    Indeed,it can mean exactly the opposite.
    Anything too 'track-focused' can quickly become a right pain in the butt on the road.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  17. #16
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    190
    BMW M3s are expensive.. you buy them cause you are in love with them!!

  18. #17
    aiculedtzu's Avatar
    under pressure

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    True,but fools and their money etc...
    The fact the S3 is 8K dearer,minimum,than most of the other cars in that comparison cannot be ignored,unless the buyer truly does have money to burn.
    So based upon your theory someone who buys an Audi S3 does a foolish thing.
    But i see that you have an Audi A3 2.0 TDI, and based upon your theory you did a stupid thing because for way less money you could have bought a diesel Mazda 3 with similar power which also has 4 wheels, electric windows and a steering wheel. So, why didn't you buy one ? And with the rest of the money you could have bought 2 second hand motorbikes and 2 trailers ?!

    You see, with the S3 and the Mazda 3 MPS is exactly the same thing. They look similar at a first glance, but if you look closer you will see that the S3 is a much more refined car, it has better materials, better build quality, it is faster, it has 4x4, etc. Meanwhile the Mazda is all about figures because they must be stupid to put a 260 BHP engine with 380 Nm on a FWD car.

    So in the end, the Mazda is cheap because it doesn't deserve more.
    And like i said, what you pay for is what you get.
    Last edited by aiculedtzu; 23rd November 2006 at 18:29.
    Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro - Turbo-Back exhaust - Cold Air Intake - Uprated Fuel Pump - Upgraded Clutch - Upgraded Intercooler - Stage2+ Software

  19. #18
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by aiculedtzu
    So based upon your theory someone who buys an Audi S3 does a foolish thing.
    But i see that you have an Audi A3 2.0 TDI, and based upon your theory you did a stupid thing because for way less money you could have bought a diesel Mazda 3 with similar power which also has 4 wheels, electric windows and a steering wheel. So, why didn't you buy one ? And with the rest of the money you could have bought 2 second hand motorbikes and 2 trailers ?!

    You see, with the S3 and the Mazda 3 MPS is exactly the same thing. They look similar at a first glance, but if you look closer you will see that the S3 is a much more refined car, it has better materials, better build quality, it is faster, it has 4x4, etc. Meanwhile the Mazda is all about figures because they must be stupid to put a 260 BHP engine with 380 Nm on a FWD car.

    So in the end, the Mazda is cheap because it doesn't deserve more.
    And like i said, what you pay for is what you get.
    I didn't buy my Audi.
    It's a company car.
    If it were my own money,you wouldn't see me anywhere NEAR an Audi showroom.
    I don't believe any of them are worth the money.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  20. #19
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    190
    Just based on some of your other comments I really have to ask the question.

    "you wouldn't see me anywhere NEAR an Audi showroom" - then WHAT have you wasted your time posting up to nearly 2,000 posts on an Audi website then??

    I just understand why anyone would do that!?


    07 S3 sold and replaced with E92 335 coupe

  21. #20
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish
    Just based on some of your other comments I really have to ask the question.

    "you wouldn't see me anywhere NEAR an Audi showroom" - then WHAT have you wasted your time posting up to nearly 2,000 posts on an Audi website then??

    I just understand why anyone would do that!?

    I fail to see what's so difficult to grasp.

    I'll try putting it more simply though.

    What I said was,if I was SPENDING MY OWN MONEY,I wouldn't buy an Audi.
    I probably wouldn't spend 20+K on any car though,if it were my own money.

    As it was,I was 'spending' my employers' money.
    He gives me a budget of 25K(ish),so it is in my interests to spend up to that amount.
    I don't gain anything if I go for a cheaper car.

    I wanted a 159,but they weren't available at the start of '05.
    I also thought about the new Lexus diesel,same problem.
    I stupidly ignored BMW because of prejudice.
    So I chose an A3 sportback,assuming it would at least be as reliable as the A4 I had for 3 years previous,and have been driving it for 20 indifferent months,in between regular visits to the dealer.

    I am therefore entitled to post on here,wouldn't you say ?

    I don't recall any rules saying;

    A/ The car should be yours
    B/ You should like the car
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 24th November 2006 at 16:40.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  22. #21
    aiculedtzu's Avatar
    under pressure

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    208
    I see you are quite an Alfa man. For almost 4 years i had a gorgeous Alfa 147. Great car, i miss her a lot.

    Regarding the Alfa 159 and the Lexus (that you would have bought), both are premium brands so they are not exactly cheap and i bet you can find much cheaper alternatives (like a Mondeo which basically does the same job). But the truth is that small things often make a big difference, so that's why some people don't mind to pay extra money for those differences.

    Cheers
    Audi S3 2.0 TFSI quattro - Turbo-Back exhaust - Cold Air Intake - Uprated Fuel Pump - Upgraded Clutch - Upgraded Intercooler - Stage2+ Software

  23. #22
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    Bowfer isn't spending his own money it's a company car, buying a cheaper car wouldn't benefit him just his employer...
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO