tdi dump valves

PAT19799

P4T MR
Reaction score
Can anyone shed any light on dumpvalves? what benefits they have and can they work with tdi's with dsg boxes? Also how would fitting one affect the warranty from audi? Thanks

think there is some technical reason why you can't have a dump valve on a diesel can't remember what it was though - and even if there was - with DSG when you change gear it stays on boost as it can change gear under load - so you wouldn't get any benefit anyway

my two pennies worth

Hmmm thanks mikep thats the general idea relating to them from what i can gather. all everyone seems to go on about is the sound they make and not what their actually for!

Hi
IIRC these run with the power of the engine , which to me means it will be making the engine work harder , so in effect it will take away a bit of power and make the fuel consumption worse , only slightly though

Have you thought about an induction kit to make a bit of noise?
If that is all you want maybe worth looking at them?

Sarah

Tad 'max power' me thinks, why not bolt on a evo spoiler, or go the whole hog & get Avid Merrion to pimp your (b)ride

steve184 said:
think there is some technical reason why you can't have a dump valve on a diesel can't remember what it was though - and even if there was - with DSG when you change gear it stays on boost as it can change gear under load - so you wouldn't get any benefit anyway

my two pennies worth

They don't work on a derv because there is no throttle butterfly - a diesel always ingests the maximum amount of air it can, it's the amount of fuel injected that makes the power. A dump valve on a petrol dumps the build up of pressure created when the throttle is closed either between gears or on the over-run to prevent the turbo compressor stalling. On a diesel this is not a problem as there is no pressure build up - the engine continues to breathe as there is never any vacuum on the inlet side of the engine. Besides - they sound too max power for my liking.