Turn off D.I.S.?

A11 EAF

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can turn off the drivers information system on the dash? My last two audi's I could but this new A3 I can't see a way to turn it off. My MPG figures are depressing, I don't want to see them! I bought the car to enjoy and want to forget how much its drinking.

Does anyone know how to turn it off completely? The old type would go off if you held down the reset button then released it.

thanks for any help.:sorry:

A quick press on mine just rotates to next functions Trip 1/ Trip 2/ Digital Speedo / Menu. Holding down resets in Trip mode not tried in speedo or menu modes though.

Why not choose digital speedo and appreciate the speed you're spending your money on...

I know what you mean - the old A3s could have it switched off by briefly pressing the reset button. Now this simply toggles you between the 2 sets of info and the menu. Pressing and holding also just resets the data. Don't think there is a way.

Why not just stick it on average speed to cheer yourself up or use the menus to remove the mpg settings from the items available to view? Anyway, you're only delaying your drop into depression for about 250 miles or so before you have to fill up again!

Digital speedo? Must be a new option on recent models. Not on mine - only menu, data set 1, data set 2.

07MY function maybe. It's just the speed in extra big numerals in the middle of the DIS (eg 37mph). It will default to this after checking the oil temp or other menu functions. Interestingly doesn't show exactly the same speed as analogue speedo - about -1mph.

southpaw66 said:
07MY function maybe. It's just the speed in extra big numerals in the middle of the DIS (eg 37mph). It will default to this after checking the oil temp or other menu functions. Interestingly doesn't show exactly the same speed as analogue speedo - about -1mph.

...although what is interesting about the digi speedo is that it's absolutely bang on. If I have the tomtom in the car, the gps speed is exactly what the digi speedo says it is.

Yeah I suspect it's more accurate. But mine's only the width of a the speedo needle variation so not much different. Dealer recommended it was handy for speed traps.
Once I've stopped obsessing about mpg (hopefully increasing to show I'm running the engine in) I might use it a bit more.

But actually I'd like to be able to leave to Oil Temp on permanently...

You can go into the menus and choose what is displayed - IIRC you can pretty much switch everything off. At least, I could on my 05

The speedo thing is weird. One I test drove back in September had it but one I was loaned last week with only 300 miles on it didn't appear to.

I really like the new digital speedo function on the DIS and is a welcome addition to the other functions available.

southpaw66 said:
Oil temp as well? Wow, DIS really has moved forward. Wonder if that could be retrofitted with a software upgrade, perhaps using VAG-COM?

Sounds like another small improvement to look forward to on my next A3.

I current have a Road Pilot Micro Go fiited for speed camera warnings and that gives a digital speed reading as well as warning of cameras and telling me the speed limit for the camera area. This seems to be much more accurate that the main speedo. Mine over reads by nearly 10%.

Mine's 10% over too. 100mph indicated is 91mph actual and when I was doing an actual 127 it was showing 140!