Volks AutosBadger5
    Neutral

Status

Turn off D.I.S.?

Does anyone know if you can turn off the drivers information system on the dash? My last two audi's I could but this new A3 I can't see a way to turn it off. My MPG figures are depressing, I don't want to see them! I bought the car to enjoy and want to forget how much its drinking.

Does anyone know how to turn it off completely? The old type would go off if you held down the reset button then released it.

thanks for any help.
    Drive it like u stole it. A3 3.2 DSG S-line.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Numptie of the highest order

Status
    I think on / off is a quick press of the reset button not holding it down...

1st Gear

Status
    A quick press on mine just rotates to next functions Trip 1/ Trip 2/ Digital Speedo / Menu. Holding down resets in Trip mode not tried in speedo or menu modes though.

Why not choose digital speedo and appreciate the speed you're spending your money on...
    Last edited by southpaw66; 16th November 2006 at 12:40. Reason: grammar
    A3 Sportback 170TDI quattro S-line
    Lava Grey, SymphonyII, BOSE, Light and Rain Sensor Pack, I-POD connection , MF Steering Wheel, Rear Parking Sensors.

2nd Gear

Status
    I know what you mean - the old A3s could have it switched off by briefly pressing the reset button. Now this simply toggles you between the 2 sets of info and the menu. Pressing and holding also just resets the data. Don't think there is a way.

Why not just stick it on average speed to cheer yourself up or use the menus to remove the mpg settings from the items available to view? Anyway, you're only delaying your drop into depression for about 250 miles or so before you have to fill up again!
    2006MY A3 Sportback, 3.2 SLine, Manual, Brilliant Red

2nd Gear

Status
    Digital speedo? Must be a new option on recent models. Not on mine - only menu, data set 1, data set 2.
    2006MY A3 Sportback, 3.2 SLine, Manual, Brilliant Red

Top Gear

Status
    Must be a new feature cos mine wont do that - and why not I want it!!
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

1st Gear

Status
    07MY function maybe. It's just the speed in extra big numerals in the middle of the DIS (eg 37mph). It will default to this after checking the oil temp or other menu functions. Interestingly doesn't show exactly the same speed as analogue speedo - about -1mph.
    Lava Grey, SymphonyII, BOSE, Light and Rain Sensor Pack, I-POD connection , MF Steering Wheel, Rear Parking Sensors.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw66
    07MY function maybe. It's just the speed in extra big numerals in the middle of the DIS (eg 37mph). It will default to this after checking the oil temp or other menu functions. Interestingly doesn't show exactly the same speed as analogue speedo - about -1mph.
    ...although what is interesting about the digi speedo is that it's absolutely bang on. If I have the tomtom in the car, the gps speed is exactly what the digi speedo says it is.
    '07 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI in Audi Exclusive Lava Grey
    '07 Daihatsu Copen 1.3

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah I suspect it's more accurate. But mine's only the width of a the speedo needle variation so not much different. Dealer recommended it was handy for speed traps.
    Once I've stopped obsessing about mpg (hopefully increasing to show I'm running the engine in) I might use it a bit more.

But actually I'd like to be able to leave to Oil Temp on permanently...

VOIP Dude

Status
    You can go into the menus and choose what is displayed - IIRC you can pretty much switch everything off. At least, I could on my 05
    Spence

Gone at 80k: 2007 A3 Sportback 2.0T S-Line S-Tronic Mauritius Blue
    (4 S-Tronic boxes, 3 Mechatronics Units, 2 Dual Mass flywheels, 2 sets of engine mounts)
    Gone at 32k: 2005 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 140 S-Line DSG
    Ebony Black

6th Gear

Status
    The speedo thing is weird. One I test drove back in September had it but one I was loaned last week with only 300 miles on it didn't appear to.

1st Gear

Status
    I really like the new digital speedo function on the DIS and is a welcome addition to the other functions available.
    Audi TT coupe 3.2 quattro S-tronic - quattro GmbH 19" RS4 style alloy wheels - Silver metallic - Magma red leather - Audi Magnetic Ride - Symphony II - Multi-function Steering Wheel - xenon plus headlights

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw66
    Oil temp as well? Wow, DIS really has moved forward. Wonder if that could be retrofitted with a software upgrade, perhaps using VAG-COM?
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

Sounds like another small improvement to look forward to on my next A3.

I current have a Road Pilot Micro Go fiited for speed camera warnings and that gives a digital speed reading as well as warning of cameras and telling me the speed limit for the camera area. This seems to be much more accurate that the main speedo. Mine over reads by nearly 10%.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    Mine's 10% over too. 100mph indicated is 91mph actual and when I was doing an actual 127 it was showing 140!