A3 Bluetooth External Speaker/Keypad Options?

southpaw66

Reaction score
Anybody got any good solutions for bluetooth kit which works well and looks good in the A3 interior? No drilling or suckers. I'm thinking if there is something that could plug, as one piece, into the cigarette lighter that might work well - especially if it includes a key pad...

Appreciate any comments.

Keypad for what purpose exactly? Is it just phone functionality you're after? If so why not just retrofit the factory bluetooth kit?

Yes it is just phone funtions.

I'm not aware there is a factory fit bluetooth option for the A3 - only the handfree kit which comes with the damn ugly cradle. I have MF steering wheel so this would be great if possible.

I want something discrete I can remove so it doesn't attract unwanted attention from prying eyes when parked. e.g. Tea leaf thinks; Phone kit = business man = maybe laptop in the boot / satnav in glove box = might take a look in there with this brick/crowbar! :sob:

Irony being I don't have those things so damage would be utterly pointless.:mad:

The factory kit with the ugly cradle (which can now be specced in the armrest rather than the dash) *is* bluetooth.

All connectivity between car and handset is via bluetooth, the cradle is only to charge the handset and connect it to the sharkfin aerial on the roof for better reception, the phone will connect to the car and function perfectly even when not in the cradle.

You can retrofit the bluetooth kit but minus the cradle. It will work without a cradle and thus there's no outward sign you have a phone kit at all. Just leave the phone in your pocket when you're driving.

Check out http://www.navplus.us for more info. There are people on there that will do the fitting for you if required.

Ok Vertigo. I'll check it out.

But appreciate anybody else's cheap stop gap recommendations for external bluetooth solutions; as also struggling for (affordable) ideas for my Christmas list - this was my best idea so far... looks like it's socks and aftershave after all...

Vertigo,
do you know the part number of the new cradle which can be fitted into the arm rest as i would be interested in fitting this option.

Andy shipton

Fraid not although be aware that there are two sections to it. What fits into the armrest (or onto the dash) is a generic mount which is a flat plastic affair with clips and an array of elecrtic contacts on it.

The bracket is what clips onto this mount and is phone model specific.

Might be hard sourcing the parts as the option has only been available for a month or two at the absolute most. First appeared on the S3 and then on the rest of the range a few weeks ago.

Southpaw -
Not sure there's any "external keypad" bluetooth kit, but rather than a cheap quality "plug in" kit, why not source a Nokia bluetooth kit or similar (I have a Parrott CK3000 that cost just £59).

Whole thing goes behind the dash. Its dead easy to wire in.

You just connect one wire to a live feed and one to an ignition feed on the fusebox at the end of the dash.
You connect the two speaker wires into the "Tel +" and "Tel -" connections on the back of the radio and the Mute wire to the "Tel Mute" connection on the radio.

You then have a full "built-in" bluetooth kit that mutes the radio automatically and plays through the car speakers just like the really expensive factory setup.

If all you want to do is answer calls whilst driving, then just leave it like that and leave your phone in your pocket....

Otherwise, you just find a neat way to mount your phone on the dash - I have a small and neat suction pad unit that sits on the corner of the dash and the phone just holds on to it by magnetism, pulling off easily when I get out of the car....

My biggest issue with aftermarket kits, and one of the reasons I forked out for the factory one, is that modern car electronics are just so complex I'd have serious reservations about letting a third-party company loose on a new car to wire in a phone kit.

If you end up having problems with the electrics as a result you could end up in all sorts of warranty problems with the dealer.

It's literally a 30 min DIY job...

Clip off the fuse box cover,

The red wire (which has its own fuse) connects to any of the larger "empty" fusebox connections that are live all the time (use a small male spade connector you can get from Halfords and just push it into one of the spare unused fuse sockets)

The orange wire (again with its own fuse) to any of the smaller fusebox connections that are live only with the ignition on. (again, just use a small male spade connector and just push it into a spare fusbox connection).

The black wire connects to any metal earthing point.

Three other wires into the back of the radio (using 2mm female spade connectors you can get from Halfords). There's a wiring diagram printed on the side of the radio.

Nothing to go wrong. If you can wire a plug, you can do this.... :)