JMB RetrofitsBadger5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5th Gear

Status

Pictures please...

..of A3's (pref sport 3 door) in lava grey, dolphin grey, brilliant red

Still not 100% sure i want dolphin grey yet!!!!!

cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Can't help you out with pics but, FWIW, welcome to the hardest part of ordering a new car, by far.

BTW, I went for Phantom Black.

Neutral

Status
    i hope this can help

http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/models.html

by the way get the red one
    Audi S3 Sportec

1st Gear

Status
    I considered Dolphin, but dealer advised against it.

In dull weather, or even if just slightly dirty, it looks like battleship grey and doesn't do the car any favours whatsoever.

A bloke at work has Lava. It looks like charcoal grey and a nice change from black.

Looks good with aluminium roofrails and the S/RS wing mirrors.
    Audi TT coupe 3.2 quattro S-tronic - quattro GmbH 19" RS4 style alloy wheels - Silver metallic - Magma red leather - Audi Magnetic Ride - Symphony II - Multi-function Steering Wheel - xenon plus headlights

5th Gear

Status
    know about it being hard - been here before - chose moro last time! but although i loved that colour i'm reluctant to get the same again (family say its daft thing to do and dealer reckons i should get something different also)

Neutral

Status
    colleague of mine has dolphin grey which looks nice when clean and the weather is sunny - but as previous posters have said, the colour can lack vibrancy in dull light. Not seen any Lava Grey's in the flesh, so can't comment, but red looks good in all light conditions.

At the end of the day colour's purely down to personal preference - try and see the colours you're interested in, actually on an a3, and stick with your final choice...

5th Gear

Status
    been lookin at pics on auto trader - avus silver and akoya silver look so similar what would be the difference between them if you had to describe them in words? They both look more like a very light grey rather than a silver (which is good cos i hate straight silver yuk!)

P4T MR

Status

Dolphin Grey

dolphin grey is soooooo sexy! not sure how to post on here yet but ill post some of mine as soon as i work it out :-)

1st Gear

Status
    dont go for black what ever you do , mine is black looks nice when clean , but drive it for 10mins and it looks filthy.

mettallic blue for me if i was choosing , shame only the s3 comes in sprint blue.
    A3-SLINE 2.0 TDI DSG , phantom black,full leather, cruise control, heated seats, RNS-E audi navigation, bose, auto dipping wing mirrors, interior light pack, auto rain sensors and dipping mirror.

1st Gear

Status
    Don't be put off by black - OK, it needs to be kept clean, but boy, it's rewarding when it is!

Plus, Phantom Black + Black Styling Kit = stealth machine

5th Gear

Status
    oooo no defo not havin black dont like it - yeh agree they look good when brand new for 10 mins - after that they slowly deteriorate showing every tiny hairline scratch speck of dirt etc etc

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steve184
    oooo no defo not havin black dont like it - yeh agree they look good when brand new for 10 mins - after that they slowly deteriorate showing every tiny hairline scratch speck of dirt etc etc
    oooooo no, only if you go for Brilliant Black. The pearlescent black stays in great condition provided you don't abuse it e.g. with careless washing (because it's "2 pack" - top coat of lacquer, y'see)

S LINE

Status
    check out the gallery thread on the lats page, my dolphin grey a3, only 1 pic though sorry and it wasnt washed wen i took the pic so it might reflect how it looks
    VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK - NEVER FOLLOW

S LINE

Status
    nevermind ill post it on here for you, remember, this was when it was manky and hadnt been washed

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK - NEVER FOLLOW

Reverse

Status
    Dolphin looks nice but in dull weather can look a little flat. Lava Grey is stunning on the big Q7 but not seen it on an A3. Local dealer has an Sline in Misano red and that looks the dogs dangleys.

The sales guys have been pushing white as they had a white sportback in which apparantly looked fantastic.

Agree about Black though, it would have to be Phantom but I've had a black car before and never again.

Neutral

Status
    Sr I had was silver, decided to go for Misano red for a change too many silver cars about glad I went for the red.
    06/A3 S-Line 3.2 DSG

Status
    Rubbish! If you wash the car with a dirty sponge fair enough they will detoriate. Keep them clean and waxed and they are fine. The wifes silver merc is a night mare for showing up light scratches in the laquer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook
    oooooo no, only if you go for Brilliant Black. The pearlescent black stays in great condition provided you don't abuse it e.g. with careless washing (because it's "2 pack" - top coat of lacquer, y'see)
    I've had both, always choose a non metallic/pearl black if it is available but didn't have a choice with my R32.

The pearlescent black is no better. Plus when polished you can't get the same depth of shine as brilliant black.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde
    Rubbish! If you wash the car with a dirty sponge fair enough they will detoriate. Keep them clean and waxed and they are fine. The wifes silver merc is a night mare for showing up light scratches in the laquer.J.

the leon i had before the audi was silver and that never showed any scratches or marks.

i t-cut the a3 with carplan black t-cut and it has come up like new.
    but if i was gonna buy a new car it would not be black.

but buying used i did not have much choice as the spec and the price was a bargain , but would never order a black car from new. too common on the road too.
    A3-SLINE 2.0 TDI DSG , phantom black,full leather, cruise control, heated seats, RNS-E audi navigation, bose, auto dipping wing mirrors, interior light pack, auto rain sensors and dipping mirror.

Status
    I think time may have misted your memory...

So you went from silver to black and black's too common... I take it you must have had one of those special rare silvers kicking around on the roads then!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.

Neutral

Status
    here is a pic of my dolphin grey before I collected it and got it dirty, am v happy with the colour. it does show up the dirt but not as bad as black..
    let me know if you would like a dirty picture of it as was on muddy roads over the weekend and it is filthy!!

1st Gear

Status
    been lookin at pics on auto trader - avus silver and akoya silver look so similar what would be the difference between them if you had to describe them in words? They both look more like a very light grey rather than a silver (which is good cos i hate straight silver yuk!)
    Re Avus. In dull or low light Avus takes on a light grey with a hint of blue look, and a dark silver in bright sunlight.

Akoya has a bit of a lilac hue to it. Nice, but not so manly as Avus.
    Audi TT coupe 3.2 quattro S-tronic - quattro GmbH 19" RS4 style alloy wheels - Silver metallic - Magma red leather - Audi Magnetic Ride - Symphony II - Multi-function Steering Wheel - xenon plus headlights

Beer God

Status
    Still not 100% sure i want dolphin grey yet!!!!!
    I had Dolphin Grey on my first A3, very nice colour, didnt look too bad when dirty (I didnt wash it for about 6 months) unlike Phantom Black which just absorbs as much possible filth and muck as possible...
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

Status
    I drive a black Sportback and with regard to it looking dirty, this is only when the muck dries! When wet you can't see it unlight pale colours. And when waxed it really looks fab - check out my gallery to see what I mean.

One A3 colour I really like and don't see much of is Liquid Blue:

Would seriously consider this if I was ordering an A3 again.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

3rd Gear

Status
    A3/S3 Photos Thread

My Dolphin Grey car is on the first page, even when grubby, it looks good.
    Pragmatik ICT
    Revo (VAG & Porsche) & Steinbauer Dealer for Suffolk & N.Essex
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDi Sport DSG Revo Stage 1 & 2
    Porsche Boxster S Revo Stage 1

1st Gear

Status
    Hope this works, if it does then its my old lava grey 2.0TDi Sport

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...ibs/My53A3.jpg
    --------------------------------------
    Now: A3 Sportback 2.0TDi Sport, Akoya silver, black alcantara/leather, Bose.

Gone: A3 2.0TDi Sport, Lava Grey
    A3 (8L) 1.9TDi Sport, Silver

4th Gear

Status
    The wifes silver merc is a night mare for showing up light scratches in the laquer.
    J.
    Does the wife wash it with a brillo pad then!

My silver (shiney light grey to you!) SB doesn't seem to show any marks when washed with a Megs Lambswool wash mit. Is her Merc not the new nano-particle paint? When I was looking 2 yrs ago and considering a black Merc coupe, they'd just brought out the new nano particle paint and claimed it was very good at resisting scratches, particularly from washing - this was the only thing that made me consider black at the time! Therefore surprised her silver Merc scratches so easily.
    Last edited by cdb2; 14th November 2006 at 20:39.
    Sportback

Neutral

Status
    Posted these before but since you asked for a 3dr, here's my Dolphin S-Line:

'07 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI in Audi Exclusive Lava Grey
    '07 Daihatsu Copen 1.3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cdb2
    Does the wife wash it with a brillo pad then!

My silver (shiney light grey to you!) SB doesn't seem to show any marks when washed with a Megs Lambswool wash mit. Is her Merc not the new nano-particle paint? When I was looking 2 yrs ago and considering a black Merc coupe, they'd just brought out the new nano particle paint and claimed it was very good at resisting scratches, particularly from washing - this was the only thing that made me consider black at the time! Therefore surprised her silver Merc scratches so easily.
    LOL...No but she does wear diamond rings! She's caught the paintwork on the drivers side twice and although the marks haven;t gone through to the paint and will polish out they stand out like a sore thumb!

Status
    LOL...No but she does wear diamond rings! She's caught the paintwork on the drivers side twice and although the marks haven;t gone through to the paint and will polish out they stand out like a sore thumb!
    The irony is you probably bought her that ring for your wedding!
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent

Uber Post Whore

Status

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

Uber Post Whore

Status

: S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

Uber Post Whore

Status

Uber Post Whore

Status

Uber Post Whore

Status

1st Gear

Status
    Lava Grey - clean (mine from the gallery)

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/vbpicga...?do=view&g=447

tinka
    Quote Originally Posted by benw123
    I drive a black Sportback and with regard to it looking dirty, this is only when the muck dries! When wet you can't see it unlight pale colours. And when waxed it really looks fab - check out my gallery to see what I mean.

One A3 colour I really like and don't see much of is Liquid Blue:

Would seriously consider this if I was ordering an A3 again.
    yep,i love liquid blue,this is mine in liquid blue,im trading it in next week,so if anyone is interested for 16500,let me know,18,000 miles.
    Last edited by tinka; 15th November 2006 at 16:45.

Neutral

Status
    What you trading it in for Tinka?

tinka
    320d m sport,im picking it up next wednesday.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tinka
    320d m sport,im picking it up next wednesday.
    Nice. Like the new Three - post up some pics as a parting gesture please!

tinka
    i most certainly will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast