Pictures please...

steve184

Reaction score
..of A3's (pref sport 3 door) in lava grey, dolphin grey, brilliant red

Still not 100% sure i want dolphin grey yet!!!!!

cheers

Can't help you out with pics but, FWIW, welcome to the hardest part of ordering a new car, by far.

BTW, I went for Phantom Black.

I considered Dolphin, but dealer advised against it.

In dull weather, or even if just slightly dirty, it looks like battleship grey and doesn't do the car any favours whatsoever.

A bloke at work has Lava. It looks like charcoal grey and a nice change from black.

Looks good with aluminium roofrails and the S/RS wing mirrors.

know about it being hard - been here before - chose moro last time! but although i loved that colour i'm reluctant to get the same again (family say its daft thing to do and dealer reckons i should get something different also)

colleague of mine has dolphin grey which looks nice when clean and the weather is sunny - but as previous posters have said, the colour can lack vibrancy in dull light. Not seen any Lava Grey's in the flesh, so can't comment, but red looks good in all light conditions.

At the end of the day colour's purely down to personal preference - try and see the colours you're interested in, actually on an a3, and stick with your final choice...

been lookin at pics on auto trader - avus silver and akoya silver look so similar what would be the difference between them if you had to describe them in words? They both look more like a very light grey rather than a silver (which is good cos i hate straight silver yuk!)

dolphin grey is soooooo sexy! not sure how to post on here yet but ill post some of mine as soon as i work it out :)

dont go for black what ever you do , mine is black looks nice when clean , but drive it for 10mins and it looks filthy.

mettallic blue for me if i was choosing , shame only the s3 comes in sprint blue.

Don't be put off by black - OK, it needs to be kept clean, but boy, it's rewarding when it is!

Plus, Phantom Black + Black Styling Kit = stealth machine :)

oooo no defo not havin black dont like it - yeh agree they look good when brand new for 10 mins - after that they slowly deteriorate showing every tiny hairline scratch speck of dirt etc etc

steve184 said:
oooo no defo not havin black dont like it - yeh agree they look good when brand new for 10 mins - after that they slowly deteriorate showing every tiny hairline scratch speck of dirt etc etc
oooooo no, only if you go for Brilliant Black. The pearlescent black stays in great condition provided you don't abuse it e.g. with careless washing (because it's "2 pack" - top coat of lacquer, y'see) ;)

check out the gallery thread on the lats page, my dolphin grey a3, only 1 pic though sorry and it wasnt washed wen i took the pic so it might reflect how it looks

nevermind ill post it on here for you, remember, this was when it was manky and hadnt been washed

35aiqg6.jpg

Dolphin looks nice but in dull weather can look a little flat. Lava Grey is stunning on the big Q7 but not seen it on an A3. Local dealer has an Sline in Misano red and that looks the dogs dangleys.

The sales guys have been pushing white as they had a white sportback in which apparantly looked fantastic.

Agree about Black though, it would have to be Phantom but I've had a black car before and never again.

Sr I had was silver, decided to go for Misano red for a change too many silver cars about glad I went for the red.

steve184 said:

Rubbish! If you wash the car with a dirty sponge fair enough they will detoriate. Keep them clean and waxed and they are fine. The wifes silver merc is a night mare for showing up light scratches in the laquer.

Spook said:
oooooo no, only if you go for Brilliant Black. The pearlescent black stays in great condition provided you don't abuse it e.g. with careless washing (because it's "2 pack" - top coat of lacquer, y'see) ;)

I've had both, always choose a non metallic/pearl black if it is available but didn't have a choice with my R32.

The pearlescent black is no better. Plus when polished you can't get the same depth of shine as brilliant black.

J.

marriedblonde said:
Rubbish! If you wash the car with a dirty sponge fair enough they will detoriate. Keep them clean and waxed and they are fine. The wifes silver merc is a night mare for showing up light scratches in the laquer.J.

the leon i had before the audi was silver and that never showed any scratches or marks.

i t-cut the a3 with carplan black t-cut and it has come up like new.
but if i was gonna buy a new car it would not be black.

but buying used i did not have much choice as the spec and the price was a bargain , but would never order a black car from new. too common on the road too.

I think time may have misted your memory... ;)

So you went from silver to black and black's too common... I take it you must have had one of those special rare silvers kicking around on the roads then!

here is a pic of my dolphin grey before I collected it and got it dirty, am v happy with the colour. it does show up the dirt but not as bad as black..
let me know if you would like a dirty picture of it as was on muddy roads over the weekend and it is filthy!!

dsc000862iu6.jpg

steve184 said:
been lookin at pics on auto trader - avus silver and akoya silver look so similar what would be the difference between them if you had to describe them in words? They both look more like a very light grey rather than a silver (which is good cos i hate straight silver yuk!)

Re Avus. In dull or low light Avus takes on a light grey with a hint of blue look, and a dark silver in bright sunlight.

Akoya has a bit of a lilac hue to it. Nice, but not so manly as Avus. :tumble::whistle2:

steve184 said:
Still not 100% sure i want dolphin grey yet!!!!!

I had Dolphin Grey on my first A3, very nice colour, didnt look too bad when dirty (I didnt wash it for about 6 months) unlike Phantom Black which just absorbs as much possible filth and muck as possible...

I drive a black Sportback and with regard to it looking dirty, this is only when the muck dries! When wet you can't see it unlight pale colours. And when waxed it really looks fab - check out my gallery to see what I mean.

One A3 colour I really like and don't see much of is Liquid Blue:

stf2jd.jpg

Would seriously consider this if I was ordering an A3 again.

marriedblonde said:
The wifes silver merc is a night mare for showing up light scratches in the laquer.
J.

Does the wife wash it with a brillo pad then!

My silver (shiney light grey to you!) SB doesn't seem to show any marks when washed with a Megs Lambswool wash mit. Is her Merc not the new nano-particle paint? When I was looking 2 yrs ago and considering a black Merc coupe, they'd just brought out the new nano particle paint and claimed it was very good at resisting scratches, particularly from washing - this was the only thing that made me consider black at the time! Therefore surprised her silver Merc scratches so easily.

cdb2 said:
Does the wife wash it with a brillo pad then!

My silver (shiney light grey to you!) SB doesn't seem to show any marks when washed with a Megs Lambswool wash mit. Is her Merc not the new nano-particle paint? When I was looking 2 yrs ago and considering a black Merc coupe, they'd just brought out the new nano particle paint and claimed it was very good at resisting scratches, particularly from washing - this was the only thing that made me consider black at the time! Therefore surprised her silver Merc scratches so easily.

LOL...No but she does wear diamond rings! She's caught the paintwork on the drivers side twice and although the marks haven;t gone through to the paint and will polish out they stand out like a sore thumb!

marriedblonde said:
LOL...No but she does wear diamond rings! She's caught the paintwork on the drivers side twice and although the marks haven;t gone through to the paint and will polish out they stand out like a sore thumb!
The irony is you probably bought her that ring for your wedding! :keule:

benw123 said:
I drive a black Sportback and with regard to it looking dirty, this is only when the muck dries! When wet you can't see it unlight pale colours. And when waxed it really looks fab - check out my gallery to see what I mean.

One A3 colour I really like and don't see much of is Liquid Blue:

stf2jd.jpg

Would seriously consider this if I was ordering an A3 again.

yep,i love liquid blue,this is mine in liquid blue,im trading it in next week,so if anyone is interested for £16500,let me know,18,000 miles.
P5070006.jpg