The Results are in! - TDI 170 MPG Figures.

PJLarge

Reaction score
Right - I'm up to 3200 miles now and have been keeping notes of the amount of fuel put in, mileage etc and this morning have worked them out.
On average over the last 3200 miles I've been doing 42.32 actual MPG, the DIS is reporting 44.2 since the car was new.

Best MPG was 43.92, worst is 40.7. Average cost (of fuel) per mile is 10p.
Every car I drive always seems to do 100 miles to £10 of fuel - even the 106 GTI does this and it's really highly geared.

I'm not sure economy is improving yet, as the figures have been 41, 43, 42, 42, 42, 40 and 43. It's not quite as good as I was expecting from the sales blurb, but given the performance I'm pretty happy overall. Does anyone have the figures for a 140 DSG?

About the same for a 140 DSG.
Low 40's.
Real life calculations,I never use the DIS.
Quite a bit less than I expected too,as my previous A4 1.9tdi (130bhp) did an easy 49mpg.
To get anywhere near what the A4 did,I have to drive the A3 extremely gently,whereas the A4 could be thrashed like a Glaswegian housewife and still do 49mpg.

I find it the same mid-low 40's unless you do a long motorway journey where I can easily reach 50+ if I keep my speed capped at 85 - ups sorry 70!!!! :whistle2:

And that's a 140bhp too.

I am getting an overall average of 48mpg from my A3 2.0TDI SE DSG with around 33k miles on the clock. Probably about 25% motorway at 85-90mph and 25% local A road dual cariageways at around 80mph and 50% single carriageways and country lanes.

And as a comparison, my wifes S4 averages 22-24mpg, but it does go a bit faster!

Yes true, but how often can she use that extra speed ?

Perhaps on a German autobahn, but not very often in the UK and still retain a driving licence.

h5djr said:
Yes true, but how often can she use that extra speed ?

Perhaps on a German autobahn, but not very often in the UK and still retain a driving licence.

Your spot on, we take the car to Europe every year, great places the Autobahns!

As far as this country is concerned its not the top speed thats of interest, its the overtaking accelaration, hence the reason she only gets 22-24 MPG

my A3 2.0 tdi 140 seems more economical at an average of 80-85 mph than it is at 70-75mph. Dont know why but the car prefers to go faster! Does about 45-48mpg.

cooky

I've done 900 odd miles thus far.

Average mpg to date is 46.

Once managed as high as 54. Lowest reading was 42.

However, I have been driving in a very restrained manner, well most of the time:whistle2:, and would expect this average to fall away when it's run in.