170 TDI Power & Torque

killbill

Reaction score
Picking up a post by Vertigo1 regarding the measured outputs on the new TDI engine :

"Even before modding the engine was putting out 179bhp and 273lbft! After modding it was putting out 213bhp and 306lbft"

Has anyone seen the graphs for this, it is seriously higher than I was expecting for a standard spec car. I am very close to ordering this engine in an A3 sport back so would be very interested to see the outputs on a power an torque graph.

Cheers

:hubbahubba:

Well that's what it said in the magazine although I don't know how accurate the rollers they used were.

VAG engines, particularly the diesels, have a habit of over-performing compared to the published stats so it wouldn't surprise me to find these figures are accurate, although an extra 11bhp and 16lbft sounds like it'd be the absolute upper limit of what you could expect.

I attend regular rolling road meets but won't be putting my 170 on the rollers any time soon, need to let it loosen up a bit first.

Vertigo1 said:
VAG engines, particularly the diesels, have a habit of over-performing compared to the published stats so it wouldn't surprise me to find these figures are accurate
Absolutely right. I recall the Superchips advertorial in Diesel Car magazine, which featured a 2.0TDI 140 (3dr A3 Sport). Strapped down before the remap, it produced 156bhp in standard trim.

Of course, after the remap it was 185bhp and 295lb/ft. Interestingly, the same article reported that Superchips created "some mind boggling" figures from the 2.0TDI, but kept the numbers a bit lower to improve driveability.

Interesting that they tend to under quote actual figures when other manufacturers do the reverse, Renault and Peugeot come to mind here.

Nevertheless should make a 170 TDI engine a very potent tool

:blackrs4:

its amazing to think,i had a capri 2.8 i that produced 160 bhp standard,and the rs turbo's of the time only had 132bhp.
if you would have said to someone then that a 2.0 tdi would produce 170bhp or 200 with a remap they would of laughed their heads off,come to think of it the affordable supercar of the time the sierra cosworth had 204bhp,technology has certainly moved on with diesels.

It's not just diesels. Look at petrol technology. The latest A4 2.0T is miles faster, more economical and cleaner than, for example, the Sierra 2.0 Pinto ever was - even in fuel injected form! About the only thing those two would have in common now is a longitudally-mounted engine.

tinka said:
its amazing to think,i had a capri 2.8 i that produced 160 bhp standard,and the rs turbo's of the time only had 132bhp.
if you would have said to someone then that a 2.0 tdi would produce 170bhp or 200 with a remap they would of laughed their heads off,come to think of it the affordable supercar of the time the sierra cosworth had 204bhp,technology has certainly moved on with diesels.

This always amazes me as well, I had a RS Clio 172 which at the time was considered a lot when the recently outgoing 2.8l VR6 golf put out similar power, and now we have a TDI nearly banging out the same numbers !! What next 1.0 L TDI twincharger putting out 180 bhp & 300 lb ft of torque ?