Has anyone had thier 3.2 Power steering sorted ?

S_Line

Reaction score
My 3.2 has had lumpy steering while manoeuvring on tarmac and concrete car parks since new, its been back to the dealers twice.

Both times with the dealer saying nothing is wrong.

I'm now really fed up with them as i explained that many 3.2 owners have the same problem as the electric power steering pump isn't up to the job for the heavy 3.2 V6 engine.

They don't agree and say no one else has had a problem.

Has anyone successfully had this fault sorted ??

Brian

Your dealer is talking rubbish in my opinion. I have had two warranty replacement steering racks on two 3.2s over the last 2 years.

First one, on a 2005MY from July 2004, changed rack in Feb 2005. Problem was lumpy assistance at slow parking speeds. Resolved the problem on a few brief runs with it afterwards but then got rid of car so can't comment on long term resolution.

Second one, on my replacement 2006MY from September 2005. Rack changed earlier this year. Problem was lumpy assistance and also a grinding noise when turning left at slow speeds. New rack cured both problems - no questions asked. There is now an element of lumpiness returning but it is very minor and rare and not worth pursuing at the moment (even though some friends say I am the pickiest car customer on earth!) and I have noticed this on various other A3s I have driven as courtsey cars (also the 140tdi).

Apparently the upgraded rack came out in February of this year to cure both faults.

Good luck!

My TDI had a new rack at about 9k (2 months old) and that seemed to cure the problem - funny thing is, I hadn't really picked up on it - the dealer rebooked it when it was in for something else.

Problem came back, and I took it back to them, they said that Audi were aware of the problem and were designing a new rack to resolve the issue but it wasn't available at the time.

Car has since had another rack and is fine now (so the current owner tells me anyway)

I have just changed jobs and now park in a multi storey every day, I have noticed more and more than mine is sluggish, you turn the wheel and feel the resistance like there is no power steering then a second or two later it kicks in and moves. I will be getting it checked on my 1st service, just so they can say there is f*ck all wrong Sir.....

yep thats what they said... Nothing is wrong, works fine :(
very anoyed and not happy person with the service :(

Everytime it goes back they have to pick it up and leave a loan car, why cant they sort the rack out ?