Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

Question Changing the time on the cars clock ?

Quick question guys, I'm away from home til the weekend and and don't have the manual with me. How do u change the cars clock ?

cheers in advance.
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

2. # ADS
    ADS

is a retronaut

Status
    Pull the adjuster button and the hour display will flash. Then turn left or right to alter.

Pull the adjuster button more than once to get the minutes to flash then left or right to adjust.

The display will stop flashing after a short time.

If you have a DIS you can change the time by going into the menu.

Status
    Wondered when someone would ask that! I changed mine while waiting at the lights on Monday morning ...
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

Grrrr

Status
    Huh. they call this the 21st century?

My PC has been able to adjust for daylight saving time for years. Heck, even my phone managed it. Never had a car that had the capability tho.

To be honest though, mine is now correct with no effort - I never bothered to adjust it in the spring...
    Audi TT RS

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by powerplay
    Huh. they call this the 21st century?

My PC has been able to adjust for daylight saving time for years. Heck, even my phone managed it. Never had a car that had the capability tho.
    To be fair to Audi, with the A3 destined for so many different markets, it is a real pain to code in daylight saving. Your PC can do it because Windows holds world region information, which includes things like keyboard layouts, languages, collations and so on.

However, Audi could do it using RDS information as this transmits the local time!
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent

is a retronaut

Status

But they can do it!

In the manual it says you can have you clock set by the radio transmit signal when fitted, but I've never seen this option on a list. Anyone got this??

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by staz1000
    In the manual it says you can have you clock set by the radio transmit signal when fitted, but I've never seen this option on a list. Anyone got this??
    Interesting. I wonder if this could even be coded using VAG-COM? Can anyone check?

1st Gear

Status
    My clock definitely syncs to the time signal - I set it 2 minutes fast once to check. Of course you have to actually listen to a station that transmits the time signal, not just the beeps.

I don't know whether it will adjust for BST/GMT though. I only listen to the radio in the morning and don't often get to hear a time signal so I changed mine manually last week.
    Last edited by Covenant; 6th November 2006 at 09:24.
    2.0T FSi quattro Sline - Lava Grey
    Bose/Symphony

As I understand the situation, the clock on A3s sold in continental Europe are fitted with radio transmitter clocks that pick up the transmissions from the German atomic clock transmitter in Frankfurt that are always accurate to the second.

Cars for the UK market are not fitted with these clocks because of our 1 hour time difference. Why they don't fit one tuned to the UK atomic clock transmitter based in Rigby I don't know. Having to produce a car for RHD it would seem a small addition to have a different clock.

I have several clocks in the house that pick up the transmissions from Rugby but I also have a Junghans alarm clock and a Junghans watch, both of which pick up their signals from Frankfurt. All you have to do is adjust them once when they are new to be one hour back and they are then right for ever more. Continental Europe changes it's clocks for summer time in the same way and on the same date as us, so the clock/watch always adjusts automatically as necessary.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3