Diesel & tyre wear

All the answers are already in this thread: the heavier engine means more tyre wear because of the extra weight the tyres have to support, especially when subject to cornering and braking forces.

And, as MB says, the extra torque usually means more wheelspin. Even with ESP switched on, a certain amount of slip is allowed which obviously increases wear.

However, the truth is that your driving style is the biggest influence on tyre wear. Obvious as it sounds, if you drive everywhere gently, your tyres will last longer.

I started out with the Rosso's which where not too bad at all in the dry but pants in the wet IMHO. Replaced these with F1's as good if not better in the dry, excellant in the wet. Nice and progressive, as quiet and they wear much, much better! The last lot on the fronts lasted around 19-20K

J.

Yeah the F1s are highly rated. I've got Pirelli P6000s on mine which drive well but drone at high speeds. Before that, on my old 16s, I had Bridgestone Poteza RE040 which was also good - hard wearing but with good handling.