A3 Sport Gear Selection

Rob Haig

Reaction score
Hi all
I am new to this Website and would appreciate some advice on a problem I am experiencing with my beloved A3 Sport 1.6. V reg (2000). This has been my best car to date and I get through allot of cars. The only problem I have had with my A3 was when the Gear Shift cap broke off and the only way I could secure it was to Araldite it in place and to date it has stayed put. The only problem is that the day after doing this the 1st and reverse gear seem to have become one I.E. I have to be careful to make sure I am in reverse and not first and vice versa. I was wondering whether some of the glue might have dripped down the gear stick into the gear box or selector and caused this problem. The gear change was fine before and my car has only done 70K so far and has been well cared for. I would be obliged if anyone could advise me what to do or whether there is a solution/cause for this problem other than the glue. Many thanks for your help :beerchug:

Welcome to the site mate.

You'd be better posting this on the "A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)" next door as this forum covers the current A3 2004 onwards.

The 8L chassis forum covers your car (i.e. A3 up to 2004) - there should be plenty of guys there able to offer you advice on your particular model.