its going

T

tinka

well after the problems with the s line,ive ordered a 320d m sport,due in december,sat nav,xenons,18"s etc,ive spent more than i ever wanted to,and tied my self down for a while,but i got £3500 of list price(he matched the web prices),all im hoping is it realy is the ultimate driving machine?.

What did you get it for,out of interest ?
It was a 320D M-sport I test drove a few weeks back.
I loved it.
If I go down that route,I would hope my MD would stretch to the Alpina D3 though (£26500)
I don't actually think it's that much more expensive,but it's exclusivity would probably mean they wouldn't deal.

i only got £15250 for the a3 and i got the m sport for £29500,i know its not a lot for the a3 but im prepared to swollow it,for the sake of 2k,i had to act now or the price goes down every month as you know,and to be honest ill be glad to see the back of it.

Has it really bin that bad tinka? Hope the BM works out for you... you'll still see us audi drivers thinking were faster than you - just to prove a point!!

Well a few weeks ok I did think I was going to buy another Vag product but my local dealer was being a bit of a **** doing a deal even though I have purchased countless cars from them in the past and sent people to them who have also bought cars - didn't even get a finders fee.

So I'm now contemplating going down the BM route... Got a couple of test drives lined up. That Alpina looks very temptingand you can even get a few quid of list if rumours are to be believed...

Thinking of selling my 3.2 also, so if any ones interested...............!

marriedblonde said:
That Alpina looks very temptingand you can even get a few quid of list if rumours are to be believed...

From what I can gather,not many people actually know about the D3.
I stand to be corrected,but only certain BMW dealers seem to be Alpina dealers as well,so that probably doesn't help.
People still seem to be ordering normal 320D sports,when the Alpina is probably better value for money.
It's got 40bhp more,for starters !
Standard spec is more than good enough for me as well.
It would probably hold it's value better too,because of the exclusivity.

If you get one,I'll be sooo friggin jealous,you jammy get....

Oh to have the freedom to change cars at will !!!!

;-)

When you say freedom to change cars at will I still have to put a business case to the wfie and get her to sign it off :)

My local dealer knows about them but getting hold of a demo is another story... Those 19's and lowered suspension may have an adverse effect on the ride I'll post up a report if I can get demo in one.

J.

marriedblonde said:
My local dealer knows about them but getting hold of a demo is another story... Those 19's and lowered suspension may have an adverse effect on the ride I'll post up a report if I can get demo in one.

J.

It's 18's as standard,contrary to roadtests that state the 19's are standard.
According to the alpina website anyway.

http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/co_uk/

i did'nt consider the d3,because im a lazy git,and wanted auto,im so used to it now i cant be bothered with manual anymore,and to be fair i did'nt like the wheels much,also dms can remap the 320 to around 209 bhp,if i go down that route again,and there's nothing as yet for the d3,
im like a little kid now i cant wait,i spoke to them today and its got a chssis no already and its due around 20th of november.

marriedblonde
which dealer are you talking too, I can't believe how many of us are getting frustrated with Audi, I'm waiting for Scottall (Soton) to come back on getting a D3 for me to try and a trade-in on my 3.2,

Ah ha the same for me too! I should have known better after dealing with them in thee past...

I had arranged a test drive in a z4 coupe sport this week as they have one on their rental fleet. I can only assume they have lost my number...

dont forget to take a price from say broadspeed for example,and get them to match it,(on the z4)im sure you will do that anyway?.

I think they are still the biggest uk dealer so they don't always make that much effort I've found unless you want what they have in stock,

I have bought two cars from them in past three years and this year alone had a 130i and a 335 coupe on order with them that I have sold on as build slots to others but they still don't take me seriously, wonder why!! (got 4 hours alone in their demo 335 on 19s and full spec to "work out" the spec before passing on the build date)

I'm chasing them tomorrow, I'll let you know if I get any progress,

cheers
Dan

tinka said:
dont forget to take a price from say broadspeed for example,and get them to match it,(on the z4)im sure you will do that anyway?.

I had a look at www.coast2coastcars.co.uk and they are offering 10% butI'll have a butchers at broadspeed thanks.

Not sure what I am going to do yet, my audi's 2 years old in march so I'd like to change it by then.

Decision is do I go for something practical or something fun. I think I am a little large to fit in coupe. I'm ok when in it but getting in a bit tight!

J.

bmw_3serie_alpina_d3_voorkant.jpg

bmw_3serie_alpina_d3.jpg

Nice

at the moment its staying in if I go with Audi as they know about it, if I go with another make then it may come out,

just got a px valuation from Audi of £14K glass's say £16.5!! , so not looking great for me staying with them, although i may keep the car for a few more months still.

are you interested in it then?

da3m, what difference did your REVO remap make?

SPOOK
the car revs better, I can't recall if there was a rev limiter before but it will now rev happily to nearly 7K, it also pulls better through the gears and sounds a little harder edged when you rev,

I like it better since it was a little too subdued before. It will also steadily pull away from my brother-in laws mkV R32 around Goodwood where before I couldn't shake him off,

just come back from a trip to France and Germany and it really will do silly speeds

it was worth it IMHO

Thanks for that da3m.

Did you get the Milltek exhaust as well as the remap?

What did the remap do for your fuel consumption (on the road, not round Goodwood!)

And talking about Goodwood, how did you find the 3.2 handling when pushed on a circuit ? I've found nose-heavy understeer snapping into wicked oversteer as the Haldex chucks the power to the back. Interesting, to say the least.

marriedblonde said:
Just been looking on the web site and it says 19"s as standard!

I dunno where you see it saying that MB.
Here's what I can see.

I clicked on automobiles > D3 > models,and this comes up in the bumf.

"The light, MICHELIN-shod 18” ALPINA CLASSIC wheels demand this agility, with of 225/40 ZR18 dimension front and 255/35 ZR18 rear. In configuring state-of-the-art MICHELIN tyres, we purposely chose conventional tyres over the much heavier Run-Flats. Optional 19” wheel/tyre packages, in CLASSIC or DYNAMIC design, provide the highest levels of lateral acceleration"

I regularly see a black D3 on the M3 and it looks the business.

At £26.5k it's cheaper than the equivalent M-Sport 320d (£27k on the BMW website). I know which one I'd go for...

Spook said:
Thanks for that da3m.

Did you get the Milltek exhaust as well as the remap?

What did the remap do for your fuel consumption (on the road, not round Goodwood!)

And talking about Goodwood, how did you find the 3.2 handling when pushed on a circuit ? I've found nose-heavy understeer snapping into wicked oversteer as the Haldex chucks the power to the back. Interesting, to say the least.

no just the remap,

initially a bit better, but my DIS is showing 20.1 avg for past nearly 13K miles, was 22 until I had it done.

but I have done a lot of "expensive" driving four trips to France, one to the Ring and two track days in UK.

The handling is exactly as that, and frankly I'm hugely dissapointed in that aspect of it.

I love the sound of the V6 under load and the seemless power delivery but the near limit handling can be hairy on a track, played with the tyre pressures and on 17s found slightly lower front and rear helps on the road to quell understeer but at track speeds needs 2psi more front 1 psi rear otherwise the trye movement is too much,

it almost drives as if there is NO power to the rear as it is savage when it goes from understeer to snap oversteer. :ohmy:

If I was keeping it I would invest in the sports Haldex I see is well regarded on the TT forums, they even do one that is 40 front 60 rear permanently, I think I'd like that balance better.

Tim Stuart said:
I regularly see a black D3 on the M3 and it looks the business.

At £26.5k it's cheaper than the equivalent M-Sport 320d (£27k on the BMW website). I know which one I'd go for...

Exactly !
It's a bit of a bargain really,especially when it has 40bhp more.
Sod's law says the price will go up though,just as I'm able to order one...dammit !

I can only see two reasons why people would go for a 'normal' 320D M-sport over the D3.

1/ They don't know about the D3.
2/ You get more options with the normal 320D M-sport (like auto etc.)

I can't think of anything I'd like as an option on the D3 though.
Standard spec seems perfectly respectable,ta.

don't think there's much of a discout on the D3, seems you can get a 320dM sport for about 23.5 after discount, Alpina only plan to bring 100 D3 in so think there is little opportunity for discounts

But I'm with you Bowfer, even so its a bargain still and a top car that needs little or no garnish, and its more than just a chip (bigger turbo and intercooler) so in theory more power is possible

problem is I reckon most will already be dealer ordered specced up to the eyeballs to maximise dealer profit, same as other limited run cars. :(

da3m said:
don't think there's much of a discout on the D3, seems you can get a 320dM sport for about 23.5 after discount, Alpina only plan to bring 100 D3 in so think there is little opportunity for discounts

But I'm with you Bowfer, even so its a bargain still and a top car that needs little or no garnish, and its more than just a chip (bigger turbo and intercooler) so in theory more power is possible

problem is I reckon most will already be dealer ordered specced up to the eyeballs to maximise dealer profit, same as other limited run cars. :(

www.coast2coastcars.co.uk are offering £907.50

bowfer said:
I dunno where you see it saying that MB.
Here's what I can see.

I clicked on automobiles > D3 > models,and this comes up in the bumf.

"The light, MICHELIN-shod 18” ALPINA CLASSIC wheels demand this agility, with of 225/40 ZR18 dimension front and 255/35 ZR18 rear. In configuring state-of-the-art MICHELIN tyres, we purposely chose conventional tyres over the much heavier Run-Flats. Optional 19” wheel/tyre packages, in CLASSIC or DYNAMIC design, provide the highest levels of lateral acceleration"

Hmmm seems in the technical data the spec is different:

http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/co_uk/automobile/d3/daten_bereifung.php

bowfer said:
Exactly !
It's a bit of a bargain really,especially when it has 40bhp more.
Sod's law says the price will go up though,just as I'm able to order one...dammit !

I can only see two reasons why people would go for a 'normal' 320D M-sport over the D3.

1/ They don't know about the D3.
2/ You get more options with the normal 320D M-sport (like auto etc.)

I can't think of anything I'd like as an option on the D3 though.
Standard spec seems perfectly respectable,ta.

thats the reason i went with the m sport,for the auto and other options,i may regret it one day,but i hope not,

i dont realy like the d3 body kit much either,just a matter of taste i know,but i do like the m sport.

I don't think you'll regret it, that's a nice spec 320d you've gone for, and the auto is a popular option and good choice with the diesels,

the Alpina is a different car really and the spec is I guess supposed to be simpler to keep it quicker and a different choice, the body kit on alpinas is always an aquired taste, the front spoiler always has a hint of snow plough about it!

I had a c2 (old e30 2.7 litre 3 series) a few years ago and often had to be really careful pulling into petrol stations, car parks my mums drive, over speed humps, come to think of it most places not to catch the front,

I think I'd probably go in with the attitude that 18's would be fine.
If the car turns up with 19's,great !

Can you tell I'd be so glad to get one,I'd take it if it turned up with bright yellow paint and pink leather ?