URGENT QUESTION RE IPOD CONSOLE

galewis

Reaction score
Hi... another newbie here. About to place my order for a white 170TDI S-LINE SB today. I'm thinking about music. I don't like auto changers, and so am thinking about getting an IPOD and the IPOD CONSOLE, which I understand goes in the glovebox? Is there somewhere for the IPOD to fix into to stop it rattling around in the glovebox? How do you know what track/album you're listening to, as you can't see the IPOD display if it's in the glovebox? Does it show up on the Concert II display, assuming there is a display on the Concert II (standard fit on the S-LINE)?

It says in the literature that the IPOD is controllable via the radio. Does this mean over the airwaves and you tune a radio channel in to pick up the signal, like with old retrofit cd autochangers? Is it essential to have the multifunction steering wheel if using an IPOD?

Sorry about the number of questions, but it seems like the way to go for me, unless you can't tell what track your listening to, in which case I'll have to have another think about it.

I assume the Concert II can play MP3 burnt to CD? Can it also handle WMA?

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary, I have connected up my MP3 player to the Concert head unit. I don't have the MF steering wheel, but can adjust volume, treble, bass, etc, plus skip tracks, ffd, rwd.

I do have to open the glove box to change the album/artist/genre though. Got round that by putting together playlists.

The Concert will play CD's burnt from both MP3 and WMA formats.

Good luck with the car - what made you choose white? You and many other posters on here are going for it.

Just to clarify, the concert II will not play mp3's or wma's. It will play cd's that are recorded from mp3's, but it needs to be in an audio cd format, not just mp3's dragged onto a cd.

The ipod track name does not appear on the concert or DIS either, you need to look at the ipod screen to see track names

Tim Stuart said:
The Concert will play CD's burnt from both MP3 and WMA formats.
Whoa! It will play standard audio CDs only. Yes you can produce these using MP3 or WMA files if your burning software supports them but the software just decompresses them back to PCM audio before burning a normal audio CD.

The Concert will NOT play a data CD which has simply been filled with MP3 files.

I understand that the latest Symphony II+ (note the +) will play MP3 CDs but I don't know if or when this is being fitted to the A3. You can tell the new one as it has a much better, multi-line display.

Thanks for the info guys. Bit of a bummer that you can't see the IPOD track information via the head unit. Also, I'm gutted that the Concert II can't play MP3's as my next question would have been "Are MP3's recorded to CD able to display track name etc on the display?"

How about the Symphony II? Can that play MP3's and if so, does the track information appear in the display.

Tim.... I chose white because I think it looks just so damn cool :hubbahubba:

Hi Vertigo.... you've already answered my question regarding the Symphony. How did you find out about the "+" variant? I'll phone the dealership tomorrow to see if they know anything about it.

Vertigo1 said:
I understand that the latest Symphony II+ (note the +) will play MP3 CDs but I don't know if or when this is being fitted to the A3. You can tell the new one as it has a much better, multi-line display.

Audi Customer Care told me last week that all new A3's ordered from now on with the Symphony stereo will be MP3 CD compatible. I've also noticed that on the configuration tool on the Audi website, it now has pictures of the new design Symphony stereo rather than the old one. So, I'm hoping the one I order tomorrow will be, or I'll probably be investing in a Phatbox ;)

Cars built from week 45 onwards will have the new concert and symphony units fitted. I believe they will play MP3 cds.

ak_l_motiv.jpg

Nice - Like that!

Double Din by the looks of it...

JohnS3 said:
Cars built from week 45 onwards will have the new concert and symphony units fitted. I believe they will play MP3 cds.

Week 45 from 01 Jan 2006? i.e. Beginning of November?

Just ordered my A3 S-line this morning, and all cars ordered now are definately coming with the new Symphony/Concert radios now. Not sure about the Concert, but the new Sympony's have a 6 disk MP3 file compatible CD changer, no cassette player and no LW radio band. So I'm happy :D The new design definately looks smarter than the old one ;)

alanjonesbath said:
Just ordered my A3 S-line this morning, and all cars ordered now are definately coming with the new Symphony/Concert radios now. Not sure about the Concert, but the new Sympony's have a 6 disk MP3 file compatible CD changer, no cassette player and no LW radio band. So I'm happy :D The new design definately looks smarter than the old one ;)

Yeah, Yeah rub it in :)

alanjonesbath said:

Confirmed. Ordered my S-Line this afternoon and was informed that it will be fitted with the Symphony II+

Anyone got a clue of it would it be possible to retrofit the mp3 6 cd changer (with NAV+ factory installed)???

I know i can use the SD cards, but additionally having the mp3 cd changer option would be a BIG +.

You mean the glovebox changer? Sure it wouldn't be too much work but I can't fathom why you'd want to tbh

Michalis said:
anyone knows the part number of the new A3 symphony II+ ?

for the price audi will charge for it you might as well buy an rns-e unit
thats what i did cost £500 all in

d3fy said:

Nice - Like that!

Double Din by the looks of it...

Does anyone know whether the new concert and symphony units fitted in the A3 will come with a better software interface for the ipod allowing track names to display ? I seem to remember reading this somewhere.

Cheers

Price list has now been updated to confirm the new Symphony is being fitted:
Audi Symphony III integrated 6-CD changer with MP3 file compatability and active front and rear speakers.
Must be combined with climate control on Standard models (price quoted does not include this item. Cup
holder in dashboard deleted. Must be ordered in combination with Electronic Climate Control on 1.6, 1.6 FSI
and 1.9 TDI Special Edition models)