How do the dimming mirrors work?

Vertigo1

Reaction score
I'm wondering how these work. Obviously the actual dimmin will be done by the same means as the rear view mirror and the glass will go dark and greenish (I presume?) but where exactly is the light sensor? Does each mirror have it's own sensor somewhere or do they work off the same one in the rear view mirror itself?

The reason for asking was that, when my new car arrives in December, I want to be able to quickly identify all of the options. As the car is leased it will be delivered to the office by an agent and I want to be able to quickly check all the options are present before the guy leaves so that if there's a problem I can get on the blower to the lease company straight away.

Most options are easy enough to identify but I was puzzled about the mirrors. Someone on tyresmoke said the dimming ones have a black "edge" around the glass, is this true and is this the sensor?

My current list of options and checks:

170 engine - straight exhausts (no other conclusive evidence so far)
DVD Satnav Plus - duh!
BOSE sound system - silver BOSE strip above front door speakers
Light & rain sensor pack - sensors on RVM and mount, AUTO setting on light switch
Interior lighting pack - two red LEDs in front overhead console
3-spoke wheel with audio controls - duh!
Auto-dimming & folding door mirrors - mirror switch has extra position for folded??
Electric lumbar support - 4-way switch on side of seats
Front centre armrest - duh!
Luggage pack - net & socket in boot
Reversible boot mat - duh!
Non-smoking pack - lack of ashtray!

If you have the dimming mirrors you will have a power switch on the rear view mirror to switch them off.

Easy to spot!

Nope that's no good as you can have the auto-dimming rear view mirror without the dimming side mirrors in which case you'd still have the switch :)

No the light & rain sensor pack gives you the rear view mirror, for the doors you also need the dimming door mirrors option or the folding & dimming option.

Vertigo1 said:
Does each mirror have it's own sensor somewhere or do they work off the same one in the rear view mirror itself?
They work off the sensor in the rear view mirror. If you order dimming door mirrors you also have to order the light and rain sensor pack.

Vertigo1 said:
Most options are easy enough to identify but I was puzzled about the mirrors. Someone on tyresmoke said the dimming ones have a black "edge" around the glass, is this true and is this the sensor?
Not sure how to identify them, but the black edge is not the sensor.

Vertigo1 said:
Interior lighting pack - two red LEDs in front overhead console
Auto-dimming & folding door mirrors - mirror switch has extra position for folded??
Non-smoking pack - lack of ashtray!

Interior lighting pack - Reading lights in front and rear overhead consoles. You also have LEDs behind the internal door trigers, lights in the footwells, on the outer edges of the door and also underneath the door.
Folding Mirrors - the mirror adjuster can be turned even further to one side to "park" the mirrors.
No smoking - You don't get a lighter, just the 12v socket. The ashtray is replaced by a storage compartment.

Hope this helps.

i have auto dimming mirrors on my sportback and they have the black surround but the dealer told me they work independantly of the auto dimming rear view mirror which i also have fitted but do not know where the sensor is for the wing mirrors

Andy Shipton said:
i have auto dimming mirrors on my sportback and they have the black surround but the dealer told me they work independantly of the auto dimming rear view mirror which i also have fitted but do not know where the sensor is for the wing mirrors
Easy enough to test. Next time there's some bright lights behind just put your finger over the sensor in the RVM and see if the door mirrors stay dimmed.

the side mirrors use the same sensor as the rear view mirror - that is why you can't have the dimming door mirrors without the light sensor pack. The way to tell is the black rubber edging around the mirrors - that means the dim

sure mine has no black rubber around the mirrors?

EDIT: And thats because I dont have the dimming wing mirror option, just checked! :tocktock: