Same Old Problem - Colour!

Granny

Reaction score
Hi All
Sorry to go over old ground but i want some fresh opinion on my problem...

I have ordered A3 170bhp TDI Sline 3-dr. My order is for the car in Brilliant Red, which i really like. But my worry is that as and when i come to sell the car it's gonna be a pig to shift. Also, how drastically is it likely to affect re-sale value?

My other option is to go for a more popular dark silver, such as avus or akoya... I have a week left on my order until there's no turning back!!! I don't think i've been this indecisive since applying for the sex change operation!!!!:jump:

Any help or abuse is much appreciated!

Join the club, I changed my mind a couple of times.

I had a red BMW once, which was popular at the time of purchase but when I came to sell it nobody wanted to know and I lost a packet. I really liked brilliant red when I recently ordered but I didn't go for it. Once bitten...

You can't predict fashion cycles but I would guess red, white and yellow have a shorter fashion cycle so are more risky. Then again there are so many silver cars around who is to say that there won't be a big swing and suddenly nobody will want silver.

If its a company car you can just go with what you like but with a private purchase you may want to play safe.

Enough waffling - if you like red go for it.

given the amount of brilliant red Audi's that I see everyday I certainly wouldnt worry about resale it seems to be a very popular colour especially for the A3 which it really suits.

When I purchased my own car a guy was trading in his A4 a silver one and I overheard part of the conversation the salesman and sales manager were having. It went along the lines of oh no not a another silver what are we going to do with that we allready have xxxx silver cars in our network etc etc etc.

Also beware Audi offer a completely random mix and match service for any of their metallic colours. The Body wont the match the bumpers or any of the other colour coded parts of the car. The silver and greys are the worse for this.

How about white?

My other half has a white A3 and it looks stunning!
Surprisingly few in it...although I didn't think it would look as good as it does.

It seems to be a bit of an up-and-coming colour though...the local Audi dealer had a new 3dr and 5dr both in white awaiting new owners.
Both looked great.

thanks for all your replies... I'll post my chosen colour once i reach the point of no return!

Makes almost no difference on trade in as you will lose shed loads when you sell anyway so go with what you like now! Trade in values are through the floor, don't believe that Audis and BMW's don't depreciate like other cars...total rubbish! Misano Red is stunning.

co55ie said:
When I purchased my own car a guy was trading in his A4 a silver one and I overheard part of the conversation the salesman and sales manager were having. It went along the lines of oh no not a another silver what are we going to do with that we allready have xxxx silver cars in our network etc etc etc.

FWIW When looking for our A3, we were struck by the number of silver cars that seemed to be stuck on the forecourts too. Talking to mates etc also suggests that silver is no longer as popular as it was. So we went for Lava Grey which I liked anyway.

I have a Brillliant Red Sportback and love it. The dealer tried to pursuade me to go for silver or blue for resale. But I liked the red, the car suits it in my opinion and I'll worry about resale when I get to that point in a few years. In the meantime I am enjoying a car in a colour I love, which looks clean even after a long rainy drive.

Anyway, what will be in it in 4 years time between a red one and a silver one? £500 or so? The amount the metallic cost in the first place. If I was worried about how much I would lose on resale, I wouldn't have bought the 3.2 in the first place!

I still like my Akoya,but it ain't half popular.
Must outnumber other colours by two to one up here,easily.
Right across the Audi range,not just A3's.
I don't have to worry about resale though,thankfully.

rowansbank said:
Talking to mates etc also suggests that silver is no longer as popular as it was.

I think Silver is looking a bit dated these days .

co55ie said:
I think Silver is looking a bit dated these days .

The Sport I had for two days was silver.
It was terribly non-descript.
It would have made an ideal getaway car,as no-one would have noticed it.
I don't like flash,but I don't like non-descript either.

If you don’t want to be noticed but you don’t want to be non-descript and you don’t want boring but you want something you like then you end up with…. expensive (a custom colour). Definitely think it’s time for a few new colour choices to be added.

A colleague of mine has Akoya and I wanted it originally. I spent ages looking at all colours in different lights and realised I liked Akoya on this A3 as it was always dirty whereas under some lights Akoya can look lilac and that put me off. Avus is very nice though, bit of grey mixed in with Akoya.

We are all different though and like different things!

co55ie said:
As per my post above the bumpers and bodywork paint doesnt match at all in the pic.

Eh???.....the car was facing into a gradually setting sun.

I had a brilliant red one hence the name. Looked absoulutly stunning. I was gutted when I traded it in.

A colour i'm sure i'll have again in the future.

vagman said:
Eh???.....the car was facing into a gradually setting sun.

Good excuse :moa: do you work for an Audi approved bodyshop

I would add that Lava Grey, although a great colour, makes the snout look well dodgy as it highlights the chrome surround. If you go for a dark colour maybe consider specifying the black grill surround (if its an option for A3s - It is for A4s)

bunny said:
I would add that Lava Grey, although a great colour, makes the snout look well dodgy as it highlights the chrome surround. If you go for a dark colour maybe consider specifying the black grill surround (if its an option for A3s - It is for A4s)

I think the opposite. I think the chrome standing out on the snout of a dark car is a plus, especially with the S-Line grille and badging. I have however not seen one with the optional black surround to compare ...so pic. anyone??

By the way. Its amazing that at this time there are only 4 people on the whole site....what are you all doing? Sleep is no excuse

co55ie said:
Good excuse :moa: do you work for an Audi approved bodyshop

Since you mention it....................yes.:eiertritt:

Eeef said:
Mines still for sale after over two months... Don't think I'm being unrealistic with the price either.

Saw it on Ebay - Looks nice and very well kitted out. Price ok too.
Unfortunately Ebay is a bit like a car boot. People want to pay nothing for decent stuff but will pay over the odds for tat.
I have to admit that red is not the colour for me as I fall into the dark grey paint lovers club so it did put me off - sorry.:rolleyes:

I have a 20T S-Line in brilliant red and it looks the business especially with bodycare as it gleams all the time. I was worried when I ordered mine but my fears where put to rest as soon as i saw the car. Dealers recognise that Red is one of the best colours for the A3, I have just ordered an S3 and the dealer stated when negotiating the price for mine that it was the best colour.
Don't worry !!

Just to update i decided to go for misano red after seeing an awesome looking Sline sportback with the 20 spokes. A photo really doesn't do the colour true justice, misano red looks so much nicer 'in the flesh'. Red seems to really bring out the car's lines and looks so much more vibrant than grey/silver in overcast light (i.e. 80% of the time in the UK!)

Red is the most striking and apparently is the safest colour, as it stands out the most!

However, it's the worst for resisting fade - you've really got to look after the paint.

Granny said:
Hi All
Sorry to go over old ground but i want some fresh opinion on my problem...

My first A3 was Dolphin Grey, nice but understated colour, my current A3 is metallic black, another decent colour but attracts muck like nobodys business...

Saw a burgundy A3 at the petrol station the other night driven by some nice totty, weirdest thing is it looked pretty good. (the colour, not the totty)

Eeef said:
Mines still for sale after over two months... Don't think I'm being unrealistic with the price either.

Eeef,

I got your cars twin a few weeks ago with the exception of the Votex kit and i paid £17,750 from a main dealer (it was up for £18495). Mine's only just rolled over to 20K on the clock as well.

When i spoke to the salesman, he said that most punters wanted silver when it came to used cars but when it came to new, people wanted something different as they were sick of the silver! Go figure huh?

If you think cleaning cars is a chore,as I do,then you should see my Akoya.
From the offcie window,it looks great.
It's sitting there,shiny and clean looking.
In actual fact,it's filthy.
I'm talking so dirty,your hands will be black if you touch it.

With regard to the Lilac comments,Akoya is absolutely Lilac.
How anyone could think otherwise is beyond me.
It's as Lilac as our Lilac bedspread,which is Lilac.
Lilac,lilac,lilac.
Even my three year old calls daddy's car 'purple'.

I have no problem with it being Lilac though,I love it.