A3 Sportback Towbar 2006 for S Line

BrianM

BrianM
Reaction score
I've been offered a used Audi genuine Towbar and electrics with removable towball at a sensible price, not the £700 plus price charged by the dealer:thumbsup: . The question is whether this is an easy home fit job, no problem with the mechanical bits but not sure if the car will need recoding to accomodate the electrics? Alos doe sthe bumper need cutting? Advice appreciated please.:think:

I have a removable towball towbar fitted and the rear bumber is different, it has a removable section which is part of the moulding.

hope this isnt for one of those big white portable chicanes? They really dont suit audis you know.

No portable chicanes, been thru that phase when the kids were young. Might try one of those huge Glider trailers, they look fun to tow? Just for a rubbish trailer for the garden and bikes.

Please can anyone advise on the electrics requirement please? Does anyone know where I can get a fitting/instruction manual for the bar and electrics, dealer not being very helpful as its not new.:think:

Hello Brian,If you go to the Towequipe web site, and look for the Towbars
listed for the A3, there is a link on fitting instructions for downloading in Pdf
form.As for electrics,they also offer a dedicated wiring kit,as do towsure, for around £115. (Audi kit retails at £222.12 in vat).
I'm just about to fit a towbar to my 2004 A3 and have purchased the wiring kit from Towsure (same kit cheaper than Towequipe)
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Scott.:blackrs4:

steeve said:
I have a removable towball towbar fitted and the rear bumber is different, it has a removable section which is part of the moulding.
Hi steeve, which model is your car, I have a feeling that the Audi towbar I have purchased may not be suitable for my S Line rear bumper? Not sure about the cut out in the bumper, guess i'll find out tomorrow when it arrives.

BrianM said:
Thanks Scott, i'll take a look, however this towbar is the proper Audi one so may not be quite the same.

Hi Brian,
I have recently fitted a towbar to my own car, and whilst it is much older than your own car, and a different model (its a '99 A4 Avant), perhaps my experiences may be helpful..........
After a lot of internet trawling I discovered that the original factory-option removable towhitch towbar for the A4 is made by Westfalia.
Further research on the net at www.westfalia-automotive.de found their whole catalogue of towbars available along with fitting instructions in pdf file format.....
I ordered my towbar from a friendly local VW dealer (basically they matched the price I could get it from Towequipe on Ebay) and when the hitch arrived it was badged as a 'Votex' Genuine accessory and came with the Audi/Westfalia commission tags.....
Unable to find anyone prepared to fit the towbar for me I fitted it myself, and it was a doddle, only hard part was the electrics which I farmed out to a trailer company after the bar had been fitted.
Heres a thread I posted a while back about it

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=28492

I can't guarantee the A3 bar is also made by Westfalia but I reckon there's a fairly high likelihood that it is, having looked at Brink and Bosal towbars before going down the Genuine route I'm glad now that I went for the Westfalia.......

Good luck!

Paul

Thanks for the help Paul, the towbar arrived today and its made by Alko Kobar, but the electric kit is from Westfalia. Must say the bar look seasy to fit with no assembly required and only 4 bolts to insert, the electrics look equally compact but until I get the interior panel off I wont know what to do. It does worry me that the kit may not fit my S Line due to the rear bumber profile and the requirement for a cutout? Checking the website stoday. Thanks again.