Brake Service

A3_TOBES

Reaction score
The brake service is due every 24 months. My car was PDI'd on 10/2/2005 registered on 1/3/2005 . Is the brake sercice 2 years from the PDI or the 1st registration ?

I've got my car going on for its 1st AVS service tomorrow. Car is on 9700 miles would it worth getting them to do the brake service then or worth waiting ?

Also does anyone know what the approx cost would be ?

cheers in advance.

If you read my post in the dealer servicing thread (it's a sticky at the top of the 8P forum), I was in a similar position. My Sportback had its first service yesterday and is nearly two years old (it was first registered 30/10/2004), so the brake fluid was done at the same time. It cost £78 inc. VAT I think, on top of the normal AVS. From the other service quotes I got, no dealer should charge you more than £100 inc. VAT.

As for whether or not you should date it from registration or the PDI, the three weeks makes hardly any difference. But you might as well wait because the two-year mark is five months away. However, don't avoid it completely, because after changing the brake fluid on mine, the brake servo assistance is markedly sharper.

benw123 said:
If you read my post in the dealer servicing thread (it's a sticky at the top of the 8P forum), I was in a similar position. My Sportback had its first service yesterday and is nearly two years old (it was first registered 30/10/2004), so the brake fluid was done at the same time. It cost £78 inc. VAT I think, on top of the normal AVS. From the other service quotes I got, no dealer should charge you more than £100 inc. VAT.

As for whether or not you should date it from registration or the PDI, the three weeks makes hardly any difference. But you might as well wait because the two-year mark is five months away. However, don't avoid it completely, because after changing the brake fluid on mine, the brake servo assistance is markedly sharper.

Cheers, I see yours was due in approx 2 weeks. Mine is a few months away so may wait ? But then again it would mean 1 visit in stead of 2. Decisions, decisions....

A3_TOBES said:
Cheers, I see yours was due in approx 2 weeks. Mine is a few months away so may wait ? But then again it would mean 1 visit in stead of 2. Decisions, decisions....
The fluid change and the AVS were both luckily well-timed for me, as I don't drive many miles. In fact my AVS was still showing 28 days and 1000 miles even when I arrived at Vindis on Saturday morning. The reason I got both AVS and the fluid done early was partly convenience, as I've got a busy few weeks coming up with some lengthy drives; but also because the oil was totally black. Great as AVS is, I don't like the idea of going nearly two years and 16,000 miles from new without an oil change, but a couple of dealers I got a quote from happily told me to wait until it was due until booking early.

In your case, I would get the AVS done now and the fluid change when it's due next year. It shouldn't really cost anything extra, bar a second trip to the dealer.